Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

What's the best VR6 engine

Isn't the W12 technically two VR6's .... which means that it's twice as good as a single VR6?

The later 2.8 Golf Highline engines may be more tuneable because they were fitted with the OBDII management.

I would suggest that you have a look through the supercharged VR6 thread and pay attention to Kev' route of 2.9 + OBDII management + supercharger = nearly 300bhp.

chrishill, yes I suppose it is but I've heard it's not the best to tune. Needs some serious cash spent on it.

I'm looking to supercharger the VR6 and get myself a good 285bhp (limited).

cams £800

cats £800

milltek £450

chip £500

300bhp.

name me more than one corrado VR6 pushing more than 300bhp on this forum.

hartley and me? (he says hopefully :wink: )

ah, well if you're talking potential or theoretical figures based on how many part you have then I've got more than you anyway ;-)

As I've got probably around 250ish at the moment, I would *guess* that 300 is probably about on the limit really.

You could certainly drive a car with 400 but as soon as the road gets a bit greasy, you're going to enter a world of fun!

I think around 300 is a nice figure for keeping things reliable and manageable.

cams £800

cats £800

milltek £450

chip £500

300bhp.

So 50hp extra for £2550....and that's "AmD's" 50hp aswell.

Not a good return. Better off going FI on the R32.

People that bash the 12V forget the R32 is 300cc bigger than the biggest 12V and has variable timing and inlet as standard.

cams £800

cats £800

milltek £450

chip £500

300bhp.

So 50hp extra for £2550....and that's "AmD's" 50hp aswell.

Not a good return. Better off going FI on the R32.

People that bash the 12V forget the R32 is 300cc bigger than the biggest 12V and has variable timing and inlet as standard.

There seems to be a lot of talk that getting a VR6 up to 300 is (by the look of it) very expensive!!!

What are the standard performance figures for a stage 2 supercharged VR6?

VF Engineering quote 290 bhp and 250lb/ft torque for the Stage 2 on a UK 2.9. Interestingly enough I have that 290 brake (at only 6100rpm), but 10lb/ft more torque than expected (at 5400 rpm).

Or did you mean performance as in the car's performance with a charger fitted? No idea! It's quick where it needs to be and that's all I'm concerned about ;-)

It's not a numbers game imo, what's 10hp when you've got a relaxed 290 at 6100rpm? That's only about 6.5-7psi. The V9 doesn't make it's 8psi until 7000rpm. There really is nothing to be gained in whacking up the advance to push the boundaries in order to get 300. GIAC have shown that doing that just makes the engine less powerful and pinks like a bastard.

There seems to be quite a competetive air around the powerful engines on here at the moment but just concentrate on getting it running nicely and don't worry about the pub numbers.

Well for just under £3k, i got 12 extra valves, and about 30 extra horses (still to rolling road her), and loads of refinement, and it sounds awesome 8)

It is a bit slippy in the wet though, around corners :shock:

reckon its better than the £2.5k for the extra 50 bhp above ;)

That example above was more to highlight what poor value N/A mods are compared to charging! £2500 for 50hp on an R32, or £2500 for 100hp on a 12V.....you pays your money.... Yes the R32 will match the charged VR, but you've got to buy the R32 first before you can do the mods, so costs even more ;-)

Pros and cons of 12 and 24V engines aside, pound per pound, charging is more effective and cheaper than N/A, in both cases.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone straight for R32 to begin with and not bothered with the charger. It's torquier and smoother as you say, and they are reasons enough to me personally for doing it....and then at a later date turbos or chargers could be looked at :-)

concentrate on getting it running nicely and don't worry about the pub numbers.

nice line that, agreed

(but I still want to be able to say I've got over 400bhp one day!)

maybe a silly question, but why so little boost, with some people the G-lader pushing out 18psi av, why only 6psi av on the v6's, could you bolt a bahnbrenner to an R32/ vr engine, not counting the room for fitment (i know thats a problem)

You've all quite clearly missed the question.

My VR6 engine is best. And you all smell funny :lol: