Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Late heater controls - repair tips - Update 16/11

Got a very stiff or non-functioning heater direction control? Here are some hints and tips.

This may sound a little "low tech"....

My heater direction control jammed and then broke when I forced it a few years back.

At considerable expense I had it replaced by main dealer but they said they couldn't do anything to free it up without taking half the sodding car apart.

I noticed the problem seems to get worse in winter.

About two years ago out of despair (cold feet!) I sprayed a generous shot of WD40 down the air vents along the base of the windscreen and left it to soak.

I then opened up the dash and operated the flaps from in there a few times until it freed up.

No problems since - there was a very strong smell of WD40 in the car for a month or two afterwards, just as well WD40 smells nice!

For anyone who has a heater that only works on position 4, - I have 3 spare thermal fuses (I brought 5 through work). If you want one pm me your address and I will send one on, FOC. Just remember, they are thermal fuses so be carefull if you try to solder them on. There is a superb link on this topic from a couple of other members that shows exactly what to do.

Slightly different problem, the boss that holds the centre cog broke, I fixed it with a bolt and lots of epoxy but now the white light reflector will not fit. Can I live without this, or should I make the effort and fab up a new one ?

Cheers

about to fix my heater, am i right in thinking that if the cable can be pushed and pulled in the plastic sleeve, then there is no need to replace those cables?? the only one that is stiff is the defroster cable, that wont move at all, :(

that sounds about right to me. i just had to replace one of mine as it had a kink in it & was real stiff. worked perfect after that.

Right, I'm gonna bring this back to life as I'm trying to sort my heater controls out at the mo and urgently need help cause I don't fancy driving to work tomorrow with half the dash missing!

The problem is that the gears operated by the lower of the two flap direction cables seem to have jumped teeth, thus causing me to not get the full range of travel.

Which of the gears can I pop out of the vent flap housing in order to re-align them, and how do you do it without breaking them...?

Cheers guys!

cant remember & dont have corrado anymore to have a look for you BUT be careful as they can be delicate & VW will charge a fortune for the new unit. you could buy a second hand one from a breakers from a corrado or a passat but u have to make sure u get a good one or u will just have same problems.

Sen,

Remove the heater control knob (mine just pulled off). The piece the control knob connects to need to come off as it also forms the axle for the vertical gear wheel. This is done by carefully prising out the four clips with a very small screwdriver. I seem to remember this being easier from the back of the panel. This should allow you to lift the vertical gearwheel up slightly, so you can turn it back to reallign it.

If you need to get to the tracks for the control arms under the horizontal wheel, you will need to remove the little metal clip that gives the indents to the four vent positions. I think this was quite tricky but with a bit of persuasion, and the vertical wheel removed, it came eventually. Slap lots of grease under there while you're at it! (See my pic above)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Big-ted, cheers for that, but my control panel is fine - it's the vent flap housing behind the centre of the dash that's the problem...

Ta anyways!

My direction controls have been getting increasingly stiff and I have not moved them for a month or so as I my fan packed up. Got a 2nd hand fan, nice a quiet too. Went to change the direction from 'screen' and it got to about 6 o'clock and wouldn't budge. Gently rocked it to see if it would free up. Followed by a cracking noise (what a knob I thought to myself) I now have range of movement from 6 to 1. I am hoping I have jumped teeth? does that sound likely?

I have read loads of posts here but I can't see instructions for getting the unit out to inspect, can anyone help?

Thanks

i've got the same problem as storm warning in that the directional control only works on the windreen & footwell setting. i've had the controller to bits & re-sat the cog but still had the same problem. so i'm asuming the cable needs changing. is it hard to access the other end of the cable & do you need to take the dash totally apart? i've got a spare controller (off a seat toledo) so i should be able to cobble something together to get it working. i'm just a bit concerned that i have to take most of the dash out just to change a cable. hope this makes sense coz i'm confused now!

gaz