Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Late heater controls - repair tips - Update 16/11

Anyone figured out the problem of only the centre dial illuminating?

One cause is cracked optics....

The centre ring will always illuminate because the bulb is attached to it, but the outer two rings won't if someone has been heavy handed with the panel and severed the light path with a crack.

Anyone figured out the problem of only the centre dial illuminating?

One cause is cracked optics....

The centre ring will always illuminate because the bulb is attached to it, but the outer two rings won't if someone has been heavy handed with the panel and severed the light path with a crack.

Guess i'd be better converting it to three LED's.

I tried that and got pretty poor results and it's difficult squeezing LEDs around the mechanical bits of the control panel, but go for it. I gave up got a new panel off a passat from a breaker.

Yeah Lee, if you do have a go, do let me know as my dials look pretty dire. I've removed the green filter but it looks a bit pathetic with an orangy-type colour as compared to my nice blue switches etc. IN fact if anyones had a stab at teh late style controls I'd be interested.

I tried that and got pretty poor results and it's difficult squeezing LEDs around the mechanical bits of the control panel, but go for it. I gave up got a new panel off a passat from a breaker.

Are the light pipes the same?

There was a vw car made until quite recently that used exactly the same corrado heater controls,just put straight in,no swapping of bits at all & quite easily found in scappers. :wink:

There was a vw car made until quite recently that used exactly the same corrado heater controls,just put straight in,no swapping of bits at all & quite easily found in scappers. :wink:

So were you going to share that information? ;)

sounds good to me, i have exactly same problem so will be havin a look at this at the weekend.

praises to Kev

will be in touch if it works

So were you going to share that information? ;)

What is it then?

Or have I missed something?

so what is that car then?

i took my front control panel off lastnite to have a look & found the "metal spring tab" stuck under the cog on the left side, got that free but i think both screen vent & face/feet cables are a bit stiff. i had a problem identifying which was which as they both had a white band instead of 1 yellow & 1 white.

it should just need a trip to the local vw dealer for those cables then replace them.

not sure about fitting the other ends tho, not sussed out where they go yet & as someone else mentioned, do i need to strip out a good bit of the dash to do so????? :roll:

JOB DONE!!

got a new cable from VW £9.04, the controls were still in good working order so no need to replace them. Absolute c**t o a job to replace that cable tho, was lying upside down under the dash with my head against the pedals tryin to get the old cable out, not much room to manouver. 1 sore back & many sore fingers later & my vent control was fixed, only took about 20 mins.

cheers

i have a similar problem to this, very sticky directional control.

i also have a problem that the fans only come on when they are set to position 4, if you set it to 1,2 or 3 nothing comes out is that related to the controls being knackered or is it something more sinister?

i have a similar problem to this, very sticky directional control.

i also have a problem that the fans only come on when they are set to position 4, if you set it to 1,2 or 3 nothing comes out is that related to the controls being knackered or is it something more sinister?

http://website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm

There was a vw car made until quite recently that used exactly the same corrado heater controls,just put straight in,no swapping of bits at all & quite easily found in scappers

Seat Leon? I've heard rumours along those lines...

My directional dial is fecked, but i've got a replacement unit to go in which i've greased up loads just in case! just need to get that cable and get myself upside down!

can someone confirm this seat leon heater control rumour if its true ill get one of them rather than dicking around with a passat one :)

ah great! my heater only works on setting 4 too.

Do you mean the fan?? - if so then you probably just want to look at the rheostat (resister pack) first, it may just have blown the thermal fuse - use the search, loadsa info on here...

OK, a this thread appears to have been resurrected of late...

For ages now, I've only been able to get 180° of movement out of the direction control. I couldn't get the setting in the top right (face only I think). I thought at first the dial had simply been put on at 90°, but changing doesn't appear to have solved anything.

Firstly, how do I disconnect the cables from the control arms without damaging anything? I'm not convinced the cable is seized as it looks in pretty good nick and I can make it move a few mm if I move the arm directly. So I'd like to disconnect the cables to see if the dial turns freely.

Also, Are we sure that it's the foot cable that goes on the bottom arm? I can't get the bottom arm to move using the dial, but I seem to be able to open/close the foot vents, but not the face vents. Could it be that the cables have been connected wrongly that's causing my problem?

Well, just to add to this, this was my problem. The photo shows the underside of the main gear wheel, with damaged track for the arm controlling the screen-vent cable. The controls weren't at all grinding in use, but the control arm, hving left its track, would prevent the control from turning fully anti-clockwise.

Incidently, the cable itself is free of kinks. Is it possible the mechanism it attaches to at the other end is stiff? I've got most of the dash out and can reach the other end to move it, but the lever itself seems stiff...

anyone seeking a new Bowden cable for their heater direction controls???

i have a new one sitting in my garage that i never got round to fitting & i have now sold my corrado & forgot to give it to the new owner.

will put it in the "parts for sale" forum.

£10 posted

thanks