Sign in to follow this  
tarche2

Well 1st weekend of driving is now complete.......

... and all I can say is wow!!!

From the MK2 Golf to my raddo is a different world.

I was worried I would not enjoy the raddo as much as my old golg due to power steering and the fact I love my old golf. But after 4 months of waiting she was worth every bit.

I am so happy with her I am now considering not modding her at all! On friday I bought a new steering wheel for her and I may not even fit it!! The handling is amazing its so comfortable and smooth and although not as cosmetically as nice as a lowered one I am so warey of lowering it incase it impares the fantatsic handling!!!!!

Currently she is on 15" stealths which as of next week is going to be pleasently swapped for a set of bbs rm's the same size. The side stripes are being put back on and the missing front splitter replaced and a 3 slat grill installed. I will install my small sound system I want and then I cant see me doing muych else........ Is this ODD???? I love modding cars but I really dont want to change this one at alll!!!!

Sorry to ramble bit of a crap post but I am so pleased with my car!!!

... The handling is amazing its so comfortable and smooth and although not as cosmetically as nice as a lowered one I am so warey of lowering it incase it impares the fantatsic handling!!!!!..

Depends what you use to lower it! Get good quality kit and it will improve the handling, cheap springs/shocks will just make things worse.

New suspension v's old/worn original set up... hmmm I know what I'd be going for!

If you like the way it drives now it will only get better with a new set up - you don't have to drop it loads either 8)

I assume a Koni setup would improve things. Could you have it at the same ride height or do they have to be fitted lower?

One more ques, how much would a garage charge for changing the height from standard to 40mm lower, and then back again. Thinking of the daily use and then lower for summer. How many hours should I be charged?

I know what you mean mate, I recently went from a Mk2 GTi to a raddo!!!!!

its a whole new driving experience. I have just visited scotland for the week and ran up 1477 miles in 6 days! enjoyed every god dam mile!!!!!

glad I am not the only one!!! There is no looking back for me now!!! I think if I am going to lower it it will be on coilovers so I can adjust to exactly how I want it.

Loom on mine seems pretty good dont know if it is uprated or not but the lights are much better than my mrs's mk1 gti cab so I am happy lupo blades on list of minor changes.

Steering wheel arrived today and is so going on!!! Its fucking lovely!!!

BBS rm's on next weekend yay!!! Hoping this weekend coming I get time to run cables to amp and sub!!!! Need bass just have the dash speakers at the mo and although amazing quality it needs more of a kick!!!

yeah that was one of the first things i did too!

but be warned ya gunna have to locate all those annoying rattles and vibrations once ya have!!!!!!

keep enjoying anyway

Good stuff tarche2 :) - they definitely are a grin-inducing drive and I think that's part of the reason that most of us don't generally mod our Cs that much. They're just so good as standard, why bother?

Having said that, mine's not exactly standard and the bug does seem to slowly get hold - you just tend to change little things...at first... :lol:

I assume a Koni setup would improve things. Could you have it at the same ride height or do they have to be fitted lower?

The Konis are designed for a 30mm or so drop, but may work with standard springs. I don't imagine it'd ride too nicely though.

One more ques, how much would a garage charge for changing the height from standard to 40mm lower, and then back again. Thinking of the daily use and then lower for summer. How many hours should I be charged?

It won't be that cheap to do - probably 3hrs to change all the struts over, then another 2hrs labour to do the 4-wheel alignment again afterwards.

If you get coilovers, then you can more easily adjust the height, but you'd still need an alignment done again afterwards. I'm also not sure how high coilovers would go - i.e. whether they'd go all the way up to standard height.

Having said all that - I'm running Konis and H&Rs which is about 30mm drop from new, standard ride height and a 90mm front splitter. I occasionally lightly scrape the floor with the splitter, but only on monster speed bumps. I don't think you'd hit it at all with a 50mm splitter.

And they're a 30mm drop from new, standard suspension - if you've got 10+yr old suspension still on your C, it will probably have sagged a good 20mm already (my '94 VR was definitely down about that far on it's original suspension).

Cost? Erm dunno cos I didn't have to buy it all an fit it all at the same time - Give Stealth a call/email and ask them :)

Koni Top Adjustable (TA) shocks and H&R springs.

ardandy, Stealth charge around £550 for that setup, that includes bump stops & topmounts. Well worth it. If you're getting the job done I reckon you'd be crazy not to get H&R springs fitted at the same time, 30mm drop isn't much but the car feels so much better. :D

tarche2, glad you're happy ;)

tarche - sounds good to me. Im standard and appreciate it.

However I did have 40 drop and 17"s before and handling was excellent, like a Go-kart. Please do read around on the forum and use the search for threads on handling, drops, etc.

It is all down to YOUR personal oppinion. Why not test drive a dropped C? Plenty of freindly people here or alternatively take a cheeky test drive of one for sale; only problem is they may have a dodgy setup / wrong.

Best thing to do is ride around and enjoy it !!! 8) (save some cash £)

As for cost of a drop.... I'd do it my self. Then get tracking checked by garage.