gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Cheers Kev - have you tried the B12 kit? Any idea of what the ride is like with it?

I'd get the B12 kit as it only drops 25mm or so. Bilstein know what they're doing more than VW do ;)

Am thinking of taking my Kw V1's off, am finding the ride too firm, its great on a nice decent bit of roads and the corners without dodgy potholes and bad repairs.

I seem to have them wound up as high as they can go on the rear and the front sits level. The springs are mostly compressed and i think thats why my ride quality is still annoying me. Have just rebuilt everything else so steering feels nice, no clonks or noises, but every so often it feels really light and wandery when putting foot down or going up or down a hill. (could be my tracking/camber tbh)

Is there still a decent spring and shock combo that doesn't lower too much (will have to have a read of this thread again) i seem to recall H&R springs? I tried two different types before, weitec and Pi and both lowered way too much on the front. The weitec also suited the larger spring plates/top mounts, whereas the Pi suited late suspension but still too low for me.

I could do with some help with coilovers if anyone can give me some advice , im currently running jom crappy coilovers , tbh there not that bad but id like something a little better so i know the cars running something a little decent

So iv been looking at various different makes but cant decide whats best to go for for the following different reasons

Weitek hicon gt , £416 , im not sure weather these are going to be crashy or not but the price range is good for me

Avo gtz £627 these look good to me and have adjustable dampning bit im not sure if id be able to set them right and also these are at the top of my budget

Apex rdx £350 , not really heard of alot of people fitting these but they look ok and the price is good , also i didnt think apex was a bad make

Kw v1 basic £519 , these are looking good but im unsure whats different to the normal v1 exept the price

Im open to all other suggestions but id like coilover over fixed height as i like to fanny about getting it sat right

Also im not to bothered about it being a bit harsh , im only 25 and my back hasnt gone yet but obvs i dont want it to be like riding over rocks all the time

Any help would be greatly apreciated as there doesent seem to be much new information on coilovers and the topic seems to have turned to fixed dampning

Cheers

Matt

The one thing I like about the kw v1 coilovers is they take bumps really well. Can feel a bit firm but doesn't crash or bang on the nasty holes in the road.

Am going to try running mine lower to see if it softens up the ride a bit. Sounds wrong way round really but makes sense to me.

I am swaying towards the v1s but im still not sure , wat the difference between the v1basic and the v1 is it just the inox finish , wats your thoughts on running them lower to get a softer ride i always thought the higher the better in terms of comfort as the spring is less stressed so must be less harsh on the rebound when its compressed

Iv now been in touch with venom motor sport and the guys there have said that kw , , weitec and ap are all made in the same factory with the same parts

Now he said that the v1 is the same as the hicon gt and the hicon gt is the same as the ap ones , for some reason id rather not have the ap but iv never driven anything with them so cant really judge , im swaying towards the weitec now aswell but the only thing thats stopping me there is the warrenty on them the difference between the v1 / weitec and the ap is 12 months for the first two and 24 months for the ap

Has anyone else had this dilemma or something similar , im gonna order these very soon and dont want to make a mistake and be gutted for ages about it as money like this for my car doesent come round all that often lol

Any one with experience off KW sportdampers and 40/40 springs? I can get a second hand set for 200 and its either that or a set off brand new Koni Yellows and springs.

The thing is, does 40/40 look good on a Corrado?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72570[/ATTACH]

Any one with experience off KW sportdampers and 40/40 springs? I can get a second hand set for 200 and its either that or a set off brand new Koni Yellows and springs.

The thing is, does 40/40 look good on a Corrado?

Wompa, See my C with 40/40 drop.....................TBH it's on the verge of being too low for my liking!! It looks great for sure, but practically.............Not convinced!

Edited by Byrd

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72570[/ATTACH]

Wompa, See my C with 40/40 drop.....................TBH it's on the verge of being too low for my liking!! It looks great for sure, but practically.............Not convinced!

Thanks mate! but not the best picture ;)

And you are rolling 17''... Im going to roll 16'' or 15'' wheels. I love the flushnes when the wheels line up with the arch but that is unusebal because I use my car more like a car than a toy... ;)

Thanks mate! but not the best picture ;)

And you are rolling 17''... Im going to roll 16'' or 15'' wheels. I love the flushnes when the wheels line up with the arch but that is unusebal because I use my car more like a car than a toy... ;)

I use my car as a daily drive so wouldnt say its a toy??.........with the 17"s there is no rubbing and I havent rolled my arches. I would go for the 16s if I were you........15s imho are for Kia Picanto's :afro:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72571[/ATTACH]

Edited by Byrd

Great color also! I have the same on my toy ;) Hehe!

Im looking to get Beetle 16'' wheels on or something similar to BBS RS. We will see...

But im still quite not sure if 40/40 is the way to go.. and if the KW sportdampers with springs is the right deal. Im stuck on Konis but the price isnt right :p

Was two brand new Koni shocks on ebay the other day, might still be there, think it was £120 for the pair maybe

---------- Post added at 1:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:09 PM ----------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koni-Adjustable-Front-Shock-Absorbers-VW-Golf-Gti-Mk3-Corrado-Vr6-/271161920657?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f22828c91&_uhb=1

If anyone fancies some low mileage kw v3's, then mine are on eBay at the minute...

Can anyone tell me why there are only -30mm springs for a vr with a normal strut setup. There seems to be -60mm available for 16v and g60 but not vr6.

Just purchased some KW V1 coilovers for my VR6 - Fairly high priced by comparison to others available but i am very impressed on first drive of the car, handling is amazing, the ride is firmer but still comfortable in my opinion.

Does catch slightly on high speed bumps but i think i can raise her enough for it not to be a problem - just gonna let everything settle in and then do some tweaks

I deffo recommend these coilovers on a first impression :-)

Got some koni sports and h&r springs today. Seemed to be a few different prices about and different parts numbers for the springs.

Apparently not all the koni sport rear shocks are adjustable on car. Can get both types. The type you have to take off and twist shock body or the top adjustable ones.

Ended up paying the higher price, hoping it means i get the correct stuff 1st time.

20140207_172951.jpg

20140208_173249.jpg

nearly got everything i need. Got rid of most of the standard bits I now need when I fitted the coilovers. Things like springcaps and bumpstops etc.

Should really update/sort out my members gallery thread soon.

I've got the same kit on mine. The H&R springs I have needed the early spring plates/top mounts set up on the fronts, but not sure if you can get different types of springs?

I did the same (early plates, late mounts). The car was tugging to the left for over the year and it took me ages to realise that it was because the passenger side had a tendency to push the middle of the mount up through the body, while the driver side remained at the correct height. I also went through a lot of bearings, as the spring plate rests against the bearing, and takes the car's weight

I used pattern and VW mounts, and same result unfortunately.

I remember having some trouble with this before when i had weitec springs, they only fitted the early plate and i ended up changing them for Pi springs as they work with late plate.

I will just have to see what happens, am getting used to taking suspension on and off :lol:

Konis and H&Rs eh? Welcome to crash city :D Nah, they're a great combo actually. They get better the faster you go. Works really well with 15" wheels.

Its pretty damn harsh at the moment on the KW1's, am hoping it can't be much worst. Should be riding higher and softer shocks.

Will be going to stealth after its fitted and asking Vince to setup geometry and also to check out most other parts for play etc. Am still convinced its something else causing my steering/handling woes not just suspension so being pessimistic about it all to avoid any disappointment.

it will be, I've used kw1's on many of my other vehicles and just decided coilovers in general were a no go for my corrado, its such a nice drive, got mine on hr springs and koni shocks although a bit tatty, the spring rate seems sporty yet comfortable, instead of teeth shatteringly sturdy like my other cars on v1's, saying that I have never really ran them at anything other than lower than your nans tits!

now where are my driving gloves dear