Sign in to follow this  
swindon-corrado

What Engine to replace the VR6 ???????

In reality the enjoyment of owning and driving these cars is their real value. In real world terms almost all will deprciate and very few if any will return you a worthwhile profit regardless of spec.

Agree with the real value of enjoying it, but when it comes time to sell I can see the cars being sold as bits because only the brave / forum member will take on an engine transplanted car. That's the shame, not necessarily loosing money but loosing another car because it ends up unsellable.

Still recon std VR rebuild, bolt on a supercharger if you're looking for extra power, then remove the supercharger and sell as standard when you're finished.

If the conversion's been done properly and you have photographic evidence of the installation, there shouldn't be any problems when coming to sell... anyway, I don't think of resale at all, I'm keeping mine till it dies!

Ok, I am leaning toward keeping the VR lump now. So my next question would be is it worhwhile rebuilding your own bottom end to save on cost or better just to go out and buy a recon block/head and if so from who ??

I look at it this way. There are all the comments about how the 12v suffers from certain types of wear, 24v is the way forward and what not - but that VR6 plant in your bay has lasted 100,000 miles ok (and approx 12 years) in your car as it currently is. Who's to know what sort of treatment it had early on in its life? We all know how well the car 'uninitiated' treat their cars - high revs from cold and so on.

It may be expensive but for the sake of originality, if I were in your shoes I really would try my best to put another original VR6 engine in there - a freshly rebuilt engine, plus the care of an enthusiast owner should see it last a loooong time.

Of course there is always the issue of cost - and I must admit that if there were genuine cost savings in plopping a newer, younger 24v unit in there, then it'd be worth considering.

*edit*

Ooh - old thread rebump, and i'm in at the death. Glad to see you're thinking of keeping it as a VR ;)

I'd get it rebuilt professionally. By the time you've sourced all the parts, you could get a proper rebuild. £600 for 82.5mm pistons (2897cc), oil pump another £100, Big ends £80, Mains £60, Inter shaft bearings £30 and then you have the boring (must be done on a tiltable milling bed) and honing etc etc. It all adds up.

I imported all my engine parts from the US (much cheaper) for a 3.0 rebuild and sent them to Stealth as they have VR6 rebuilds perfected.

.. plus no-one yet knows what the "common failures" on the high miles 24v engines are going to be, because there's not enough 12-year old ones about to tell.

Whilst it's clear that there have been a number of improvements over the years, and there's good reason to think they shouldn't suffer the exact same problems as the old 12v, there's a lot more technology on that engine, which inevitably means more bits to go wrong ...

I still think 24v is the way to go.

As I said before, it costs not much les for the engine, than getting the 12v rebuilt.

I dont agree with the argument about resale value. My car is defo worth more with my engine than with a 12v engine. If thats a problem with the non enthusiasts, tough. Id rather sell to en enthusiast who appreciates it anyway.

The 24v is a modern engine. It has better torque, BHP and fuel efficiency than the older 12v. There is always the risk of something going wrong, but that can happen to any car at any time, whether it be 1 yr old or 101 yrs old, thats life.

Ive had the pleasure of being able to compare the 12v and 24v directly, and Im not looking back.

At the end of the day though, its your choice mate and which ever way you go it'll still be a VR6 Corrado, and thats 8)

eatthis wrote

somebody shoot the guy above lol

charged vr all the way hehe santa pod here we come (this sunday)

You runnin 10 psi ? watch out for the scooters !!!!! Ha Ha !!!! 24v, 12v ? if you have nad$, go for it i say !!!

im runnin 11 psi and dont get the scooters comment?

only managed 303 bhp and 267 lb ft but it seems to go well enough

No, I think I am going to stay withthe VR. It is guaranteed a lifespan of 100+ K on a rebuild and with me owning it. What sort of price would I be looking at for a professional rebuild? Obviously I would do fit the engine myself..

.. plus no-one yet knows what the "common failures" on the high miles 24v engines are going to be, because there's not enough 12-year old ones about to tell.

Whilst it's clear that there have been a number of improvements over the years, and there's good reason to think they shouldn't suffer the exact same problems as the old 12v, there's a lot more technology on that engine, which inevitably means more bits to go wrong ...

The poor cooling design around cylinders 1 and 6 has not been changed, the timing chains are the same (well, albeit with weaker simplex upper chains), and instead of 12 valve guides wearing out, you now have 24.

I'm sticking with the stronger, simpler 12V technology also.

the tensioners are alot better they changed them in 97 i believe

the only bad thing iv heard of the r32 is somebody having to change the stem seals after 30 k ish