Sign in to follow this  
junkie

Which Corrado

Ok been thinking of getting a 2nd car and as i really like corrados seems daft not to get another to use as a run around.

Now i know opinions are going to be divided depending on what model you already have but which one would be the best to use?

Im thinking a VR6 but knowing me i will end up supercharging it which defeats the point of it been a run around as i dont want to really modify it as i already have one to do that with.

Daft thing to say but which one would be more reliable etc but not boring?

So i think 16V possibly? What you guys think?

Not an expert mate, but i think for a run around and if your after a lower maintanence, the 16v is the better option. I think some people would agree.

Someone will be along to advise better.

Cheers mate.

Im asking cos only ever drove my c so dont know how all the others compare and never driven a MK2 16V either.

But still like the sound of the VR6 as a comfy cruiser kind of thing as i already have a high reving 4 pot.

gradeAfailure, is the 8v know to be mechanically unsound? Used to have one, just wondered how itd have gone on running problems if id have managed to have it longer.

Well already decided def not a 2l 8v but unsure as to get a 1.8 or 2l 16v.

What are the main diferences suspect the 2l is more torquey.

What are the main diferences suspect the 2l is more torquey.

AFAIK that's about it... :)

16v all the way 8)

id go for the 1800 and then throw a 2.0 16v in it and do away with the cat,few choice mods will easily see around 170ish brake. 8)

the 2.0 would still be a good choice though! 1800 is slightly more revvy.

Neil.

yup, if you wanna do a bit of work, 1.8 with 2.0 bottom end would be a decent option, but tbh, id go for a standard 2.0 and spend the money on your project car!

Cheers guys.

Surprised no one has been trying to sing the praises of the VR6 though, are they expensive to run (not fuel wise).

Although i want a run around (this is where my dilemma comes in) do i get said 16V to literally run around in or spend more and get a comfy leathered VR6. Now i know you will say get the 16V retrimmed but i already got my project car so dont want 2 on the go spending money on.

Cheers guys.

Surprised no one has been trying to sing the praises of the VR6 though, are they expensive to run (not fuel wise).

yep, i'd never buy one as a second car. At 10+ years old theres alot of replacement parts needed. Suspension overhaul, chains bet thats nearly 3k and not even got started :lol:

i had a 16v rado for a while as a run around but sold it as it was taking up more of my time keeping it on the road than my g60! my 2p is to get an audi or vdub tdi thats what i did and never looked back my 2.5 a6 tdi is pretty good fun as well not to mention the luxuries such as climate control!

Looks like i need a rethink then?

The problem with me keep changing my mind all the time of what i want, would be too easy for some one to turn around and say "there you go mate your nice new luxury run about".

Could do a Jay Renshaw and have climate etc in my C.

Like Bills idea.. you cant help but mod a corrado.. 4 starters, who would drive one with 4x4 suspension! lol

Tell you what, I'll drop a VR into my Passat, put new suspension on it, refurb the wheels and you can have it for £3k - there you go, VR power, leather and aircon... ;)

cheers bally,, but i think in reality if you mod cars then it doesnt matter what it is youll mod it! ive already puut a debadged grill on the a6 and am about to lower it onto some 18's its just not fair why cant i just leave things alone!!

a low mileage 16v would be ideal, so be prepared to pay a higher asking price for the lower mileage. 94 year would be best, less chance of rust etc etc etc. Then service the main items your self. Buy mine; its had the shocks and a vag exhaust put on, so should last years; infact I think I'll keep it - lol

The question for me after reading this post and the really useful info that the link goes to is whether to get a 2.0 16v or G60, I loved the boost, in one of them anyway, lol, not sure about the petrol costs in a G60 though :0(