Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

rear brembos.

the next job for my rado that ill be doing in the winter is a total suspension and brake overhaul and blinging up! so i thought id better start researching various ideas one of which is brembos on the back to match the brembos on the front. i guess i could just get some evo calipers and have the brakets made?

mmm handbrakes mostly work in the same way i guess,, but if not i could rig up a hydraulic handbrake i know they are rubbish for parking and not motable but its not a daily driver and i know my mot man will pass it.

Whay not TT rear brakes( 16vG60 ), or have the MK4 golf Alloy rear brakes and calipers like quite a few of us on here. Not sure what make the Seat Ibize rear brakes are but the Brembos on the front and Mk4 on the rear4 stop the car very well.

I've been thinking about the whole rear brake setup as well adn preferably gettig some Brembo's to match the fronts. Let me knwo how you get on!

the way the brembo rear brakes on porsches etc work mean they wont work on the vw setup unless you do some serious fabricating

there is an internal drum in a porsche rear hub and thats the hand brake(like rs2 Audi) then the brembo caliper just operates the foot brake

AFAIK willwood do a rear brake setup but doesnt the front do the majority od the braeking anyway?

you could fit tt or mk4 reak brakes and a bigger disk, much simpler way to get the look

I'm sure I've seen on some early Porsches two callipers,one decent size one for foot brake and another small one for handbrake,just an Idea.

Cant seen the point of changing the rear brakes as they are to well up to the job already.Go buy one of those Brembo covers off Fleabay if you want the look without the hassle ! :lol:

I'm sure I've seen on some early Porsches two callipers,one decent size one for foot brake and another small one for handbrake,just an Idea.

Cant seen the point of changing the rear brakes as they are to well up to the job already.Go buy one of those Brembo covers off Fleabay if you want the look without the hassle ! :lol:

ferrari's have 2 calipers on the rear wheel too. I'm thinking about 310mm disc's on the rear aswell. I'd best start talking to Hi-Spec now!! An off the shelf kit is a 10week wait.

the problem i see with this is the bias.

i am not sure if i am right here but if your rear brakes are too big it may cause the rear to lock up, right?

search on vortex at the big brake conversions by wilwood and you will see the 2 caliper setup

but i think the brembo covers are the best idea yet :lol:

slightly off topic, i take it its safe to bin the splash guards on the rear brakes?

they don't half look rank when rusty and would free up maybe 0.5mm more clearance for those of us running 9" rims, i know i could use every ball hair of clearance i can get!

or have the MK4 golf Alloy rear brakes and calipers like quite a few of us on here

already got those dude.

hydraulic handbrakes will fail MOT ...

not really bothered about that!

Go buy one of those Brembo covers off Fleabay if you want the look without the hassle ! Laughing

ha ha yeah seen those bloody awful!!

ill have to keep an eye out for some suitable calipers i dont really want them bigger just looking nicer!

hydraulic handbrakes will fail MOT ...

not really bothered about that!

Really Sensible... :roll:

ferrari's have 2 calipers on the rear wheel too.[/quote:199e9]

Yeah man - the smaller non laquered ones for the Handbrake..my mates brother's got a 360 modena,lucky bastard..

Really Sensible...

in the same way running no front plate will fail an mot, if its not a safty issue. then yeah i think fairly sensible i have mates with road legal rally cars with hydraulic handbrakes and the mot station never worries about it!

I've been looking at doing something with the rear brakes too, and ideally junking the antiquated taper bearing setup for the more substantial and play- free roller bearing setup.

Focus rear brakes have such a setup and also MK4 rear calipers, the whole lot is identical to late MK4 Golf almost, with the exception of the Focus rotor being solid and not vented.

I don't think it would take a lot of work to get the Focus roller bearing stub axles on. That then leads us onto calipers and discs. Wilwood do a belled rear disc (280-300mm) I think and relocation brackets to move the standard calipers further out to suit. That's the cheap option.

The expensive option is twin or 4 pot rear calipers, which you can get no probs, and brackets, and discs. For the handbrake, a bike caliper or something with very sticky pads should hold the car still. They weigh hardly anything and can be sited somewhere else round the disc as per Jaguar XJR, ferraris etc on custom brackets.

As for front and rear bias... bigger discs won't cause a problem. You balance it out with pad friction. Porsche GTs use Pagid Orange pads at the front and Pagid blacks at the rear. If you used Oranges at the rear aswell, then they'd defo lock!

I've ordered some uber sticky ceramic Pagid RS15s (grey) for my calipers and I'll be probably go Pagid blue (RS42) or black (RS421) at the rear with a large disc conversion. The rears do more than you realise... and yes, only gibbons jump on the brakes mid bend! Under normal driving conditions, beefing up the rear won't hurt, and besides, the ABS is there to stop the rear wheels locking up anyway.

I've ordered some uber sticky ceramic Pagid RS15s (grey) for my calipers and I'll be probably go Pagid blue (RS42) or black (RS421) at the rear with a large disc conversion. The rears do more than you realise... and yes, only gibbons jump on the brakes mid bend! Under normal driving conditions, beefing up the rear won't hurt, and besides, the ABS is there to stop the rear wheels locking up anyway.

What colour are Fast Road pads ?..whats the difference between the blue,black or grey ?

Cheers..

Was going to try and find a cable operated caliper, if not, the little one on the Jag XJR will do nicely.

AmbisoniK, it's only Pagid's race pads that are colour coded, I don't think the normal OE caliper pads are coded as such, but here's a break down of Pagid's different materials from their official site - http://www.braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html

Yeah I would. Things can get complicated with race pads, not to mention expensive, dusty and very noisy :-) I'm just addicted to powerful stoppers..... can't really drive fast these days, so I just brake hard instead :-)

Yeah I would. Things can get complicated with race pads, not to mention expensive, dusty and very noisy :-) I'm just addicted to powerful stoppers..... can't really drive fast these days, so I just brake hard instead :-)

PMSL

why u got too many points on the licence your something ?