Sign in to follow this  
Niges16V

OEM bushes or GSF ??

I’ve just fitted the FK Konigs and have had a taste of how the C really handles! So rather than spend £50/£60 on having the geometry done I thought it best to finish the job and get the front/rear bushes done. I will be using VAG rear bushes but am considering using pattern wishbones etc for the front (as they are half the price). Is this wise, or shall I stick with OEM??

Also, do I just replace the bushes on the ARB or should I upgrade the whole unit to the Eibach, ie. is it worth doing considering I have the uprated suspension??

I used GSF wishbones with bushes already pressed in and they probably worked out cheaper than the price of bushes on their own added to the labour of pressing out the old bushes and pressing in the new ones. Plus you get rust and fatigue free wishbones thrown in. They're not expensive from GSF either. I stick to OE bushes as the suspension was plenty hard enough with coilovers. I'd also definately stick with VAG rear bushes :)

How much are the 'bones and so on then?

GSF quote £35 +vat (£45) and VAG are £58 (not sure if that includes VAT. In fact, I think I have just answered my original question! May as well stick with the originals.

So I'm not likely to gain much with a uprated ARB then? That's a relief, just saved £200 !!

Having a bit of a binge on the car at the mo, new suspension, full zorst etc and it's totally transformed it!

So I'm not likely to gain much with a uprated ARB then? That's a relief, just saved £200 !!

Erm, yes, a massive difference. Fit a pair of Eibachs and take your car's handling to the next level.

Fit a pair of Eibachs

Pair? where's the other one go apart from the front between the 'bones'?? I wish you would stop making me spend all my money Kev!

It's ironic, but when this site started - the best advice we could give was to get everything from Eurocarparts and GSF to save money....

Few years on, and all those parts have already failed, giving us all the lightbulb moment of that OEM, which lasted the 7 years previous, is actually better... It may be 50% more expensive, but lasts 200% longer.

So it all depends if you live your life one pay cheque at a time, or want to actually fix your car and not have to do the job again.

Fit a pair of Eibachs

Pair? where's the other one go apart from the front between the 'bones'?? I wish you would stop making me spend all my money Kev!

Yep, two of!

You get a 25mm rear bar and a 21 or 22mm front bar (can't remember off hand).

The standard arrangements are an 18 or 19mm front bar and no bar at all at the rear, well, some useless rod welded inside the axle iron pretending to be an ARB.

Being as the majority of the roll comes from the rear, that is the most important bar, hence it being the thickest one. The front one just completes the package but be warned, uprated front ARBs can induce understeer, which is why the Eibachs are best as their front bar is a sensible size.

Personally I find rados drive and handle best with the standard front bar and a 25mm rear one.

Fit a pair of Eibachs

Yep, two of!

You get a 25mm rear bar and a 21 or 22mm front bar (can't remember off hand).

The standard arrangements are an 18 or 19mm front bar and no bar at all at the rear, well, some useless rod welded inside the axle iron pretending to be an ARB.

Being as the majority of the roll comes from the rear, that is the most important bar, hence it being the thickest one. The front one just completes the package but be warned, uprated front ARBs can induce understeer, which is why the Eibachs are best as their front bar is a sensible size.

Personally I find rados drive and handle best with the standard front bar and a 25mm rear one.

My mk2 Golf used to understeer really badly with a front bar.

I'm just waiting for a dry weekend to fit all my new suspension. I've gone for OEM top mounts all round, OEM wishbones, OEM rear bushes, and Powerflex front bush set. Topped off nicely with Weitec coilovers..

Will be interesting to see how it drives.

Should drive like a new car with that little lot ;-)

Shame the front ARB is such an arse to fit as it would be good to compare standard with uprated quickly. The difference a rear bar is instantly noticeable and dead easy to fit.

Good move on the poly front bushes, the OE rubber ones are useless. Good for noise/vibration, cr@p for wishbone control. Why VW thought it would be a good idea to allow the wheel to move back and forth in the arch under acceleration and braking by cutting slots into the bushes is a mystery. It doesn't help castor. You should find your brakes feel better when pressing them hard and the car will feel less fidgety mid bend.

Erm, yes, a massive difference. Fit a pair of Eibachs and take your car's handling to the next level.

yup, agree 100%. if you can, do it.... you will not regret it! they would be one of the first mod's I would do to any other corrado I own from now on... we have one rado with them and one rado without and the difference is definately noticable, Daves Vr will be getting them too.... :)

So to summarise:

Uprated ARB front & rear (cw poly bushes)

OEM top mounts, bones & bj's

Poly front bone bushes

OEM rear bushes

I should then be able to go round corners with huge grin on my face :D

As ever, thanks Guys (& Gals)