Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

I think I know what causes the corrado Dead pedal feel.

ok, while building my pedal box for the corrado I decided to do a bit investigation into what causes that bit travel at the pedal before it bites.

The servo has a plunger type affair in the middle of it which is actuated by the brake pedal. That plunger then fits into the the master cylinder, and on operation of the brakes in turn pushes the piston on the mastercylinder.

So with the servo and mastercylinder assembly in my hand I noticed I could push about a millimeter of servo travel before the mastercylinder started to operate - conclusion - with the mastercylinder and servo assembled there is still about a millimeter gap between the plunger and the mastercylinder piston.

I found myself a small rubber washer approximately the right thickness and rammed that into the mastercylinder piston, and the mil of play has gone altogether.

See pictures

oh it gets more interesting:

I just so happen to have 2 what I believe to be VR6 servos and mastercylinders.

Both the servos have the same part numbers on them, but the plunger arrangement is totally different on them!

So much so that if I swap themround one of them now has a gap of about 1cm and other has the mastercylinder half pressed in!

Weird. question is, would it have any detremental effect if the mastercylinder was just slightly pressed in by a knatts chuff? I am talking about less than a mil. I believe this will have no bad effect at all as the mastercylinder is just a piston to push fluid, and it doesnt have to be parked in the fully out position.

question is, would it have any detremental effect if the mastercylinder was just slightly pressed in by a knatts chuff? I am talking about less than a mil. I believe this will have no bad effect at all as the mastercylinder is just a piston to push fluid, and it doesnt have to be parked in the fully out position.

id go with that i think...i reckon the 1mm would be made up for by losing a nanomillemeter :lol: of brake fluid from the system?

neil.

just the sort of mod that may help me out, mr cox. we'll have to get together and have a mastcylinder/moonroof/heatermatrix/radiatorhose exchange/swap/fit party !! :)

i'll bring the sunroof and probably nosky, you can get the coffee on and maybe a defibrillator close at hand :oops: :roll: :wink:

no mate. only because i do not have a mk4 servo. I have a mk4 MC but not a servo. Unless you had a spare one going cheap ;-)

i'll bring the sunroof and probably nosky, you can get the coffee on and maybe a defibrillator close at hand :oops: :roll: :wink:

Sorry I have checked and I dont have a defibrilliator, but I have a couple of sets of jump leads and a couple of car batteries if we could get him restarted that way :lol:

wire them to his gonads - that should get anyone started again!!!!!

OUCH!!!!!!!