Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Uprating G60 Brakes!!

Following darrens melting session with my standard g60 brakes i am now looking into fitting a set of monster brakes onto the rado :)

I doubt i will have the money to spend £2000+ on a set as i couldnt justify that at the moment, but is there an alternative??

I ve done a search but couldnt really find much on uprating the rado g60 brakes??

I know you can get the Brembo GT kit but thats as far as i got...

I have plenty of clearance so i guess i would be looking at 320mm discs maybe?? i want big brakes, i am talking dinner plate size... :)

Any links, or info on uprating would be very helpful as i am at the "gathering information before speding money" stage at the moment and probably wont do anything untill next year now, unless i see a bargain.

cheers

Cupra R four pots go straight on and the discs are 4 stud fitment too!!! just need some brake lines made which badger 5 make iirc cost in region of £500

Cupra R four pots go straight on and the discs are 4 stud fitment too!!! just need some brake lines made which badger 5 make iirc cost in region of £500

Not anymore mate you have driven a skyline for to long.. :lol:

Just been on the badger5 site, they do the said ibiza brembo kit for just under a grand!!!

It may be a long shot but i may look into getting a set of porsche brakes "engineered" into the car somehow... :) its something i can research, the only thing i reckon i would need to sort out would be the discs and the carriers in terms of fitting them onto the car.. i think i ve seen porsche brakes (brembo) on a corrado before just cant remember where i ve seen it??

they will fit im sure. we have run the boxster s calipers on 305mm discs to in the past.

305mm discs is a good size, will have to find out as to what the limit is on size of disc that will fill up that gap inside the 16" rim...

the good thing about this setup is i dont have to blow a shed load of cash at once i can collect the parts as i go... excellent!!

Gunna have to keep a look out for some calipers then... :)

wilwood and tarox make up some 4pot kits - looked into the wilwoods earlier in the year.

Not anymore mate you have driven a skyline for to long.. :lol:[/quote:ca983]

Really PAH!!!!

My skyline came with 4 pots as standard best move I ve ever made was buying the skyline :D

Still miss the rado though!

But hey with 326bhp and 311lb/ft of torque running through the rear wheels I can live with it :)

It may be a long shot but i may look into getting a set of porsche brakes "engineered" into the car somehow... :) its something i can research, the only thing i reckon i would need to sort out would be the discs and the carriers in terms of fitting them onto the car.. i think i ve seen porsche brakes (brembo) on a corrado before just cant remember where i ve seen it??

Like these you mean.... :D :D

JMCs G60

Personally I would go for the Ibiza Cupra R setup. They are such an easy fit as they bolt straight on and the only "engineering" you have to do is cut the carrier bolts down by an inch and almost any dunce can manage that.

If you buy them direct from SEAT they will cost you IIRC between £700-800 but thats everything you need (calipers, carriers, discs, pads, bolts) except the hoses which are £50 from Badger5.

They are 305mm discs and 4 pot calipers, but that is everything all brand new. I was lucky and got mine at the beginning when they were only £500 all in!!!

But even with the cost they are now, its not excessive and I can vouch for the stopping power, bearing in mind everything I have going on with my engine thats what I use!!!! And it stops dead! To a point where I stopped HARD one day and honestl;y thought I was going to do an endo ( i had the bias checked out after that!!!)

i suppose i could either go down the ibiza cupra route or the practically the same setup but with porsche calipers??

What porsche calipers did you use on your john??

There's a bit of a story to that one Mike_g60. They are Boxster ones (as far as the person who sold me them told me), not the Boxster S ones I was expecting. As such they're made to take 24mm brake discs rather than the 28mm ones which would be ideal for the Cupra discs. This means of course that the Seat discs will not fit with the standard pads - not a happy bunny. AFAIK they are the standard Seat brembo carriers on there as well.

Based on what I've learnt the ones to go for are the Boxster S ones, or I've been looking on-line and apparently the 996 ones are also a direct replacement (but in a different colour). Although not being a Porker expert don't quote me on that.

G-man did a great job fitting them for me, so big thanks to Darren as always.

Hope that helps....

Thanks for you help / comments guys! much appreciated :D

Yeah i think i may have a chat with darren next time i am at his place, and get him to price a setup for me, i do like the idea of porsche brakes tho!!! 8)

I may have stumbled across rather an interesting upgrade at Dubfreeze 2 years ago while chatting to a guy about his Type 2 camper which was running Porsche 4 pot calipers up front...

They're the rear calipers off a 944 turbo (which also has a drum brake for the handbrake, so that's not on the caliper) and you can pick 'em up for about £60 per pair!

They run on 300mm disks on the 944, but will clear the 305mm disks off an Ibiza coupra and, as far as I can tell, will also fit the VAG carrier that's used on the Brembo conversion anyway, so the only other bit left is the brake hoses which won't be hard to make up...

I have a set of these sat in my lockup at the moment, and I'm aiming to check if they'll fit as easily as I think they will over the next couple of weekends if I get any spare time...

Basically, if they fit, then it means that you have a 305mm, 4 pot, Porsche branded Brembo calipers bolt on upgrade for about £250 all in! 8)

yeah, the only problems with the 944 rear calipers that I can see is that they're quite heavy being relatively old and that you need to swap over the link pipe and bleed nipple so that they're being used the correct way up, as effectively, by putting them on the front wheels, you're running them upside down, so the bleed nipple would be at the bottom. Shouldn't be a problem though, as they're not linked internally for the fluid, and the 4 holes are all the same thread (2 at the bottom for the link pipe, and 2 at the top, one for the brake flexy pipe, the other for the bleed nipple... 8) )

You can also fit 996 rear 4 pots on the front of older VWs. Seen a pair of those go for £100. Carriers as per what Henny said and being newer calipers, they'll be light and very powerful.

Just don't paint them yellow like all the knobbers that mimic the £8000 carbon ceramic setup do though!