Sign in to follow this  
Trig

Which rear discs for MK4 calipers???

Just got quoted £40 + VAT a piece for highline discs by the Stealers, looking on GSF they seem to have a few that are cheaper than that. What should I go for?

Pay for genuine VAG or go something cheaper?

EDIT: And whilst w're at it, what rear discs shall I get to go with MK4 rear calipers?

What's the GSF part no. for them?

Have you fitted them? are they ok?

I bought 2 of these brembos

60205 BRAKE DISC-VENTED 288mm B G3 2.8 VR6 MID 95> (Ch.1HSW560001>) 27.50 1

Yup they were the ones I was thinking about, I think i'll go for them too. Good results?

What about the rear discs, are standard Corrado discs fine with MK4 calipers? Might get some vented ones to match.

Seem good, only just bedded in finally this weekend, so haven't given them a real test yet.

Dunno about rears, mine are still standard.

These look about right for rears... ??

60345 BRAKE DISC-REAR SOLID BR G4 Ex. Syncro 97> 15.00

Are you better off with the 288 Brembos and the VAGs? I need to buy some too.

BTW, does anyone know if the carriers that come with say the MK4 1.8T calipers/288Disc are fine for the conversion on the VR?

As Kev says - late Mk3/Highline 288mm carriers, otherwise Mk4 312mm carriers.

The Mk4 carriers have the wrong offset, so you will need spacers to get them to line up. You've got no choice if you want 312s, but the Mk3 ones are the correct offset for a C.

Soooo... Could someone just let me know if the MK4 discs I listed above are correct or should I be sticking with standard Corrado rear discs?

Don't worry eventually found it on the search. For future reference everyone ~ MK4 calipers and pads, Corrado everything else (including discs).

Which means today I will mostly be buying..

2x 60342 BRAKE DISC-REAR(5 STUD) B CO VR6 16.50

2x 60205 BRAKE DISC-VENTED 288mm B G3 2.8 VR6 MID 95>(Ch.1HSW560001>) 27.50 1

from GSF.

I thankyou.

Brembo do some nice drilled discs for the rear, which I would have used had they had any in stock at the time. So I just went with the plain brembo rears in the end. They seem OK but as with all the solid discs I've used so far, they warp too easily! Need to investigate something more substantial to throw on the back.

Don't worry eventually found it on the search.

And the moral of this story is... :lol:

I might add I had spent quite a while trawling through old threads until I worked it out! :lol:

As Kev says - late Mk3/Highline 288mm carriers, otherwise Mk4 312mm carriers.

The Mk4 carriers have the wrong offset, so you will need spacers to get them to line up. You've got no choice if you want 312s, but the Mk3 ones are the correct offset for a C.

So does that mean that the Golf Mk4 1.8T carriers are no good for 288 or 312 conversion on a VR? Any one got any carriers that suit? :-D

Need to know the same! I have now got hold of some mk3 gti hubs,to go 5 stud but also have mk4 discs,calipers and carriers.

Are the mk4 288 discs and calipers not guna go straight on the mk3 hubs?

i remember someone saying that fitting mk4 rear pads in mk4 callipers with corrado discs, made the brake pedal really firm up, i think it was kevhaywire???????

The MK4 discs won't, wrong off set, as mentioned earlier in this thread I think its the late MK3 discs you need. If you go on GSF, look at MK3 Golfs and then look down the list for 288mm, there the ones.

So, to recap ;-) the Calipers of all those cars mentioned in the '312 wiki' are all good for the 288 conversion , plus the MK4 1.8T (that had 288s anyway) and maybe others. But you have to have the carriers off a car that had 312s (see wiki again) to do the 312 conversion. 312 discs off the same list too.

288 discs need to come from the late MK3s (e.g Highline)

So that just leaves the carriers, so which do we need for a 288 conversion?

Thanks in Advance

You need late Mk3 carriers as the hubs have a different offset on the Mk4's.

If you use any carriers from a Mk4 on a Corrado, then you need the 6mm of spacers to get the callipers to line up with the disks.

I believe so, yes - but I don't know anyone that's tried it for 288s.

Also not sure if they'll fit 5-stud bubs, but you should be ok with 5 stud hubs ;) :lol: