Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Just take the plug out of the back of the light, Jim. I did for my MOT. In fact "don't" do that as it is probably illegal. :wink:

What was the corrective work you/they did Jim? If it involved a wheel/brakes coming off then it was probably the ABS cage that got a knock and needs re-seating/bending/replacing.

Similary, maybe they unplugged an ABS sensor - check they're all still plugged in. It's probably a pretty quick and easy fix, especially if you've got VAG-COM to hand.

They haven't done any work yet Dom - so it's just broken itself having sat around at home for a few days! Typical Corrado! As soon as you stop driving a daily driver for any more than a few days, they always break!

The work they're down to do today is replace a split steering rack gaiter, and put a few (missing) clamps back on the exhaust to stop it blowing. It didn't even occur to me to take the ABS light plug off to give me some time to fix it - I just sort of drove to the garage, upset that there is now something else stopping my car from getting its f*cking MOT.

Arrggghhh.....

its possibly low voltage to the ABS unit...........mine had been playing up after sitting around for weeks on end,would always clear once the engine had warmed up after the engine running for maybe ten mins or so,anyway had a new battery fitted and all is fine now

Funnily enough mate I did think about low voltage as I know my battery is a bit old and pants - been meaning to replace it for a while, but as the car is a daily, the battery rarely ever gets the chance to go flat....

Will see what the garage say later. I did drive the car just round the block quickly prior to going to the test centre hoping that a quick run out and a few stops / starts might clear the fault. Should have driven it for longer but obviously without an MOT it's a bit difficult..

Garage reckon its an ABS speed sensor - they're replacing it but its bumped the bill up to over £200 all in including the other work. Why does this always happen when you're broke!

Always seems to be the way I'm afraid :( Really gutting when you just want to get on and enjoy the car, instead of worrying about it. Once it's through the MOT, it should be fine for a while :)

Still want those tyres? I'll get them taken off the RX2s this week ;)

Yeah - think so mate. I really do need em and they're a good price so.. yeah.

Cheers :)

Woohoo. Car MOT'd now.

Happy with the garage - the guys there seem to be really honest - they showed me the state of the old ABS speed sensor, and a full break down on the bill for all the work done. Just have a laundry list of advisories to work through though nothing too drastic - new tyres on the way from Cazza, new brake discs i'll do soon as they're easy and cheap enough...

Road tax to find at the end of the month tho.... grr...

Nice one Jimbo altho a bit of a git about the ABS...

My G60 went straight thru too last week, not a single advisory and emmisions were really clean!

Well a quick update. Just driven to Norfolk and back today to drop my dad at his new house (after him finishing work yesterday) - the deal being I got to take away his old car now that he's bought something newer. So here she is - a 1991 Mercedes W124 200TE. 2 litre 16v (again!), 5 speed manual.. not much in the way of toys but virtually everything works and it just steams along at motorway speeds as quietly as you like.

themercqr5.jpg

Did the 120 mile trip back pretty faultlessly - the only issue is a sticking tappet which just turns up every so often so it makes the engine sound knackered, but when that shuts up, it runs very quietly :) Bodywork isn't brilliant - it's been the family workhorse for the last 10 years but I reckon it'll look good after a good wash and polish.

And a recent'ish pic of the car which now gets to live an easier, more spoiled life as a weekend / summer car. For some reason the camera's colour balance REALLY made the car look very red - it's not quite as lovely and glossy as pictured! Want to start replacing some bits and pieces that I've been meaning to do for ages so I forsee a few visits to Stealth over the coming months / years :) She's now at 189,700 miles and aside from a little bit of lumpiness / hesitency (made worse after the water incident a few weeks back!) still runs like a peach.

rubykj6.jpg

Cheers.

excellent! and from the days when mercedes knew how to screw cars together, my uncle had one of those and he majorly regretted trying a beemer touring after it, went back to merc straight away. How's the manual box?

It's pretty good mate - very accurate, well weighted, and no problems getting it into any gears at all. Only problem is a pretty major CLONK from the driveshaft if you're too aggressive with the gear change and coming on and off the clutch - common problem apparently but it's been like it for years and not gotten any worse!

Everyone already takes the pi$$ about me acting like an old man - so might as well embrace it ;)

Man, that merc looks lush :lol: I love it! Just needs lowering and a set of nicer wheels and you have yourself a nice retro wagon! :lol:

Nah, I realise what its for and fair play your rados looking awesome in that pic! hope she enjoys her semi-retirement!

Man, that merc looks lush :lol: I love it! Just needs lowering and a set of nicer wheels and you have yourself a nice retro wagon! :lol:

Nah, I realise what its for and fair play your rados looking awesome in that pic! hope she enjoys her semi-retirement!

Gold wheels and pink leather interior and you have an e38 show winner :nuts:

Take the coffin out the back and get even better MPG! :grin:

Seriously though chap, looks nice - like you say, who gives a rat's ass what anyone says as long as you like it!

Thats some daily Jim :lol: have to say the Corrado looks Bloody awsome in that pic (memories of my red jetta coming back) :lol:

Thanks guys.. but as I say, the camera seemed to flatter it a bit - check out how shiny it looks in this pic! It doesn't look anything like that in the metal to be quite honest!

shinyredli3.jpg

I'd love to spend a bit of money on the Merc and get it some decent alloys, get the rusty bits sorted out, etc but I want to try and remain focussed on the Corrado really and make sure it gets the pennies. I'll just make sure the Merc runs well and doesn't get neglected but want to remain clear that it is my daily hack! :)

all ya need is a flat cap, pipes and slippers Jim, and you will be sorted :lol:

And a small army or large family to fill it up with! Would be good for a booze cruise run :wink:

Bout time you gave the old girl a rest and edge towards 200K at a more leisurely pace.

Well sorted you are.

Vaughan

one of my mates just bought himself something similar to that, but its come from one of the lads off retro rides and its cool as christmas, only thing he is changing is he has some 16" merc rims to put on that he has had powdercoated gloss black!

its lowered about 40mm butr they sit fairly low anyways!

trying to find some pics that i took other week

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 1455696429

Nice one, Jim! Looks great! Your Rado is looking mighty fine at the mo too, and you'll be able to keep it looking like that now too :)

one of my mates just bought himself something similar to that, but its come from one of the lads off retro rides and its cool as christmas, only thing he is changing is he has some 16" merc rims to put on that he has had powdercoated gloss black!

its lowered about 40mm butr they sit fairly low anyways!

trying to find some pics that i took other week

Noooo... go away! Don't make me want to spend money on it! Popped up to Stealth today to book the Corrado in for some TLC - Jon was eyeing it up suggesting dropping it and sticking it on some 18's or something! Bumped into KADVR6 and PeteC up there as well - nice to see you guys even if it was just for 15 minutes :) Unofficial CF meet ;)