Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Green went up to DG for a pair of new tyres to be fitted, some Redline MT90 to be put in the gearbox and a DG suspension alignment. Drives even better now - so obviously I'm remaining very happy with it! However, as the car was lifted on the ramps I spotted a spot of grease on the passenger side alloy and a larger blob on the wheel arch lining - Graham confirmed it had a fairly subtantial split in the outer CV boot. Need to get that replaced ASAP :(

Additionally, was slightly alarmed to notice though a few spots of some kind of oil on the ground under the red one when I backed it down the drive this afternoon to wash the usual tonne of bird sh!te off it. Stuck my head in the bay and can see a few possible areas where it may be coming from but simply have no idea where to begin so think it's going to be another garage trip for that in the not too distant future. Ho hum.

I think the valver might be chucking its toys out the pram about its new friend :grin:

Hehe.. I did think that, Jake :) Red hasn't exactly been driven a lot in the last few weeks :(

I have to be honest and say I had on occasion noticed when I'd washed the red one over the last few months there was occasionally a bit of a 'film' on water on the car underneath it when I moved it and I'd already thought clearly there was some oil coming from SOMEWHERE. It certainly doesn't seem to be losing a lot - I've not stuck any oil in it for months and it's only just now needing a top up so I'm certainly not fretting yet. I'm secretly hoping it's something to do with the power steering actually as driving the VR and then hopping in the 16v, the steering is SO freaking heavy compared. It's never been right so secretly it'd be a bit of a relief if it needed an overhaul!

It does keep crossing my mind. Thing is I've put a lot of time and money into the valver over the years and despite it looking fairly clean, I still think I'd struggle to get a reasonable price for it because of it's galactic mileage. The money I'd raise from selling the 16v I could probably save up in about 4-5 months so not really sure it's worth parting with it.

It would mean I could get the VW Motorsport VSR that I was offered a heck of a lot quicker :)

.... and there is potentially a good home waiting for it.... :)

AAAAAHHHHHHHH.........I thought this voice might appear when I read Jim's comment. Laura keeps talking about the baby she loaned you Jim. You could do it in a similar style to wife swap............just keep passing it to each other and with the love and affection you both have for red, Ruby will always be cherished :grin: :grin:

Finally a few pictures of the new motor after I spent a few hours with the Autoglym.

I think Neil would understand me saying there's a fair few problem areas in the paint including rust on some of the arches, noticable paint runs and badly painted bits but on the whole it looks pretty good I think. The colour is Classic Green but for some reason my camera has some days where colours seem to be very accurate, or some days where they're really not.. the car looks very grey in these pictures for some reason! You can just about tell it's green though :)

dscf0285e.jpg

dscf0288v.jpg

dscf0289pt.jpg

dscf0290j.jpg

dscf0291a.jpg

Very, very nice mate 8) So pleased for you :) Interior looks excellent.

Same here. Looking very very good. Are you happy to be a VR owner at last, how have you found the differance in power?

Are you happy to be a VR owner at last, how have you found the differance in power?

Thrilled to bits. Absolutely loving every minute I spend behind the wheel.

And the power difference is more than noticable. I really didn't think approx 25% more power would be that noticable but it is. And the whole characteristic of the VR6 feels better to me. Yes, you still need to get up in the revs to really get into the power but there's more grunt at lower revs and the gearing just makes it far better suited to daily driving - you're simply not up and down the gearbox as much as you are in the 16v.

So yeah.. chuffed to bits :)

Are you happy to be a VR owner at last, how have you found the differance in power?

Thrilled to bits. Absolutely loving every minute I spend behind the wheel.

And the power difference is more than noticable. I really didn't think approx 25% more power would be that noticable but it is. And the whole characteristic of the VR6 feels better to me. Yes, you still need to get up in the revs to really get into the power but there's more grunt at lower revs and the gearing just makes it far better suited to daily driving - you're simply not up and down the gearbox as much as you are in the 16v.

So yeah.. chuffed to bits :)

Thanks for that info. I have been contemplating what to get when the original goes for her makeover and I thought getting a 16v C but if there is a total differnace then I might sway towards a bloody good Mk2. Reasons for this are Its not a C so I will not compare. Also I just love them due to my previous experience with both 8 and 16v Mk2's and when C is back I can sell for the same price if not more if I get the right one :norty:

I wouldn't discount the 16v mate. Despite spending ALL the time in the VR, I'm still not keen on getting rid of the 16v as it has its own charms :)

Not clean enough Jim! Seriously tho looking really good.Is that a black rear badge or is it colour coded?

Thanks Vorn :) It's a million miles away from your car in terms of cleanliness and condition but has done double the miles so it can be forgiven :)

The badge is colour coded. Quite like it but would ideally like to find a new or nearly new chrome one!

nice new B&Q cheap pressure washer there Jim, i bought one also this morning and for £30 its ace.

also the vr looks in very good condition, and i have a new chrome vw badge lying around somewhere so i will dig it out for you.

karl

That'd be brilliant. Let me know what you want for it! Thanks Karl :)

As for the pressure washer - yeah - absolutely stoked with it for £30. It's fantastic value for money!

Whats actually wrong with the badly painted areas?

A bit of wet flatting and polishing might improve it loads. Have you got any pics of the affected area?

whats with the new avatar pic Jim, something you wanna tell us about you and Toad???