Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Yeah I went through a similar phase before I bought the Corrado! With a Cavalier 2.0 GLi of all things. That car was like pouring fuel down the drain for all the good it did injecting it into the engine. Complete waste of my life driving the thing that car was!

Funnily enough that's exactly what the ex said about her 1.0 TwinAir one week after I warned her it would be significantly slower than her Polo 1.8T. "Nah, it won't be, it's really nippy". Yeah, around town it is, but not on the open road!!

Funnily enough I did think about a Polo GTI (1.8T) too.. I know you'd said they were reasonably good fun, if a bit soggy. Went to look at one prior to looking at the Octavia. Had a poke around it on a VW forecourt.. no sales people came out to talk to me at all in about 15 minutes of me nosing around, I noticed lots of bits of damage and then some overspray on the front not to mention a trillion stone chips so hopped back in the Corrado and drove off!

---------- Post added at 4:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:33 PM ----------

GUTTED !!

ive just bought you a Stovepipe hat to wear in the Fiat! lol

A few weeks back,didnt i see your C for sale ?

not for long,then it was gone!

Ah lol - forgot about the stovepipe arrangement! Maybe have to go and look around one at a dealership and go armed with said headgear.

I'm a bit prone to changing my mind at the drop of a hat, and a bit impulsive. The VR sale was just a momentary wobble though :) It'll be tucked back up in the garage before long ;)

Nice one Jim, hopefully this will satisfy your performance desire a bit more than the Fiat!

I have to say after a spin in your really nice A3 TDI, I knew the days were numbered for the Fiat..

Nice one Jim, I'd go for an estate everytime after owning the Passat estate. Still miss it loads.

nice cars those skoda's, you must get it to DG autotech for a remap, my TT was a completly different car after its remap that Graham did, much smoother faster and much better on fuel, but it was a gay car so it had to go

As I say will have a think about the remap but it really isn't top of my priority list just yet. I have a manufacturers warranty with the car for two years and just can't be bothered with the potential problems / questions about the remap in the event that the car has to go back for any work!

260BHP would be nice though I won't deny!

---------- Post added at 6:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:22 PM ----------

Insurance has only gone up £120 a year to swap from the Fiat to the VRS! One of the benefits of starting to get a few grey hairs! :)

Wow! that's a bit different to the 500. Should eat up the miles on a long run. No trouble picking up parts for the corrado either :)

I've never driven a car with the 2L T, but like you said I've never heard a bad thing about it.

Enjoy :)

You're more than welcome to a drive next time we meet up David :)

You're more than welcome to a drive next time we meet up David :)

I wasn't fishing :) but that would be very kind of you Jim, I look forward to it sometime!

Funnily enough I did think about a Polo GTI (1.8T) too.. I know you'd said they were reasonably good fun, if a bit soggy. Went to look at one prior to looking at the Octavia. Had a poke around it on a VW forecourt.. no sales people came out to talk to me at all in about 15 minutes of me nosing around, I noticed lots of bits of damage and then some overspray on the front not to mention a trillion stone chips so hopped back in the Corrado and drove off!

You wouldn't have liked the Polo, so that was clearly fate stepping in to save you :D

They are good fun, but the crashy, unsettled ride would do your nut in. The interior plastics are extremely low rent compared to a Golf too, so the rattles and clattering would also do your nut in.

I loved it though. A proper B road blaster :D

Picked it up this evening :)

Crummy picture as it was getting dark by the time I got back.

photobic.jpg

Very comfortable, very quiet, stuck the cruise control on for a steady 70MPH drive home and averaged about 36MPG which is right on the money. And I did have a few quick WOT moments to see how she went and was pretty alarmed at how easily it sailed up to the National Speed Limit. That engine is an absolute peach! Very happy :)

the best colour for a skoda, said it before but i do like these motors.

oooh, nice... I love the 2.0 TFSI engine too... the missus' A3 cabrio has one in it, and it still makes me smile like a loon when you boot it...

Big fan of the Occys, my parents have just bought one (1.6Tdi?!) and it seems to be a nicely put together, well thought through car...

Looks like you got the best colour too... :)

Cheers Ian :)

A friend of mine was poking around in the car earlier and opened a random compartment in the dash that had an iPod connector linked to the stereo in it (didn't know it was there!) and then I opened a panel in the boot and found a 6 CD changer! It's like the gift that keeps on giving!

It seems really well put together and SOLID - the doors are REALLY heavy and shut with a reassuring thud.

Cheers Ian :)

the doors are REALLY heavy and shut with a reassuring thud.

sounds like a golf lol

Always nice to see a purposeful looking estate (always loved sports estates, ever since I laid eyes upon the RS2), love the subtle spoiler :)

Well it's been a few weeks and I thought I'd come back and give some thoughts on the Octavia.

It's absolutely phenomenal.. there's no other word for it. I didn't think I could get so excited about an estate car, but really the driving experience is just something else. I think it's mostly down to the versatility of the engine.. it's whisper quiet, but has torque in almost any gear at any revs and really piles on the speed quite respectably. But when you just want to saunter along it's so well mannered.

I took it over to the lock-up this weekend to try polish out a few horrible scratches on it and also took my first look in the engine bay. Quite disappointed with the level of valeting done at Skoda on the engine bay (none) and the fact there are bits and pieces missing! I gave it a bit of a tarting up with some Gunk and some trim detailer.. and have been identifying badges to replace and so forth. Also found why the cigarette lighter didn't work (fuse blown) - again must have been like that when I picked it up. Good job Skoda! :|

Meanwhile the Corrado sat looking at me very sadly from the garage, not been washed since it was last put away and now SORN temporarily as I couldn't face the road tax bill this month :( It really needs the paintwork sorted but struggling to care about doing it. It's really not good! Help.. I need someone to motivate me with the old girl!

Well I am pleased to say I popped over to give the Corrado a wash today finally and back under it's car cover. Looked lovely in the sunshine but obviously couldn't drive it anywhere as it's SORN still. Frustrating! :)

It has inspired me to get it sorted in terms of paintwork. The interior is in good shape so that can be left alone, the alloys are starting to look a bit scabby (but £80 at City Powder Coaters will sort that) and the engine seems to run well enough despite it's age so I think I can look at getting some paintwork done finally. Going to make a bit of a push with savings over the next few months and see if I can get it done during winter. I had a pretty fair price from the bodyshop guy when I went for a quote before I so I think realistically I could get the paintwork sorted, wheels done and a new windscreen finally from KIPVW's guys up north (only £100 excess with my insurer) for not major money and it'd look absolutely fantastic with that lot done :)

Must. Get. It. Done.

Sounds like a plan! It will be awesome when you've got that lot done- paintwork is so satisfying. Can't go wrong with City Powdercoaters either!