Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

toad or autowatch or cobra

ok, ive elimintaed clifford cos i just dont like them.

the choices now are a toad ai606 ,autowatch 160rli or a cobra 8188/8186.

roughly the same price/same features

ive had autowatch and cobra before but not toad.

read somehting on here about problems with cobra alarms and corrados?

and been warned that autowatch might not be made as well as they could be.

the more i read the more confused i get.....please help?!

Autowatch all the way you wont get any hassle from it! It's not gifted with all the bells and whistles like other alarms but it does the job that it's intended to do and is very reliable!

I have a TOAD Ai606, been faultless in the 15 months I've had my car.

The trick is to get a pukka installer.

Think there's another thread about alarms somewhere here, could prove usefull if you can find it.

sigma s30/34 had these alarms for 6 years, never had 1 problem, neither have the dozen plus people that i sent to the same fitter,,

is this not a bit of a pointless thread?

You're unlikely to get anyone who has experienced all three - so you'll just end up with a load of 'i've got this and its great - there is nothing better' replies.

PS, I've got a Toad Ai606 and its great. There is nothing better.

I need a Cobra remote fob if anyone has a spare?

I install Cat1 Toad Ai606 for £235 fully certificated if anyone in of near the Northeast needs one.

Yalan, i have had the Cobra and the Toad Ai606 and they are both the same apart from the Toad has more scope for accessories like remote boot solenoid dedicated opening and remote start but whom really ends up adding these things?

Chris

is this not a bit of a pointless thread?

You're unlikely to get anyone who has experienced all three - so you'll just end up with a load of 'i've got this and its great - there is nothing better' replies.

PS, I've got a Toad Ai606 and its great. There is nothing better.

congratulations on bitter response of the day.

ive had old autowatch and old cobra.....theres a fair chance that people on here have had new stuff.

i was only asking you know, gaining knowledge through shared expeirince...sheesh

ive fitted the toad ai606 to mine. had it on my previouse car too and theyve been spot on. I always buy toad items for security now

the general consensus from installers ive spoken to is that autowatch arent as well made as they could be, and toad/cobra are both very similar.

we all know whats gonna happen now, im gonna get there to pick the car up and there IS going to a cat1 fitted....

Well whatever you have fitted let's hope it does the job :)

Let us know how you get on Chris.

See my post in the Clifford bashing thread :lol:

It's worth noting here guys that an alarm is only as good as the person that fits it. Most of the Cat1 alarms can be very good, but if they've been fitted on a Friday afternoon by a chimpanzee then it'll be unreliable and useless.

I've got an Autowatch which was supposed to be very good, but it goes off all the time for no apparent reason because the wiring is utter crap due to being installed by a moron.

The best advice I can give is to find a good alarm fitter and get their recommendation on what to fit and get them to fit it.

the toad turns on the interior light when you unlock the car! i may get another just for that !cool!

Any alarm that has a valet output can do that ;-) Most do....

I think the general consensus with alarms is they're only as good as the person that fits them.....but a lot of it is also down to the quality of the unit itself. Never heard of Autowatch alarms "not being made aswell as they could be" though. Zanussi washing machines could be made better also, as can a lot of things :-) Who ever said that needs to quantify it!

When I had a clifford that was playing up and out of warranty, most people wanted £150 to service it. Well skeg that, I just bought a new alarm and ripped out the heap of Clifford. Audioscape spent a day putting the VW wiring back to standard and then put the 160Rli in, which has been faultless since.

Toads get squashed and Cobras bite.....so it really has to be Autowatch imo :-)

i had a 160rli in my last corrado and would recommend it , never had a problem in the year i owned the car, now have another corrado and had a cobra installed the 8186 model, quite basic but does the job. Had a toad ai606 on my previous polo which had a few more functions than the cobra and the autowatch, but given the choice of the three i'd go for the cobra.

well apologies for the 'bitter' earlier reply!

I'm soon to be buying my 4th Toad over the counter and if I'm honest there is one main - and really superficial - reason I keen on going with toad.

And that is the fob. You have to fiddle and fondle the fob every day and the toad one is absolutely spot on. Feels robust, well designed and not in the least tacky. All the others i've ever had have been plasticy, chunky or cumbersome (foxguard, cobra etc). If the UI is of crap design, I really don't want to suffer it every day. Minor detail to some I know...........

Had a Cobra 7928 (I think?) in my Corrado G60 and it was flawless tbh.. I had one evenings interrupted sleep where it kept going off for no reason and it turned out to be a knackered alarm switch on the bonnet.. took it to a local alarm place who i'd never dealt with before and they sorted it FOC! Was perfect from then on! :)