Sign in to follow this  
bv-vr6

Vr6 running hot!!!!

My mocal is in front of the rad, so the action of cooling the radiator also cools the oil ;-)

All you need to do for a manual over ride of 3 is solder two wires across the black sender and run them to a dash switch. I don't know anything about the Diava a/c system so I hope doing that won't interfere with the A/C's operation, but obviously on a non a/c car, doing that is fine.

In fact I'd suggest that as a must do mod tbh. If a temp needle climbing in traffic is a concern, you can simply hit the switch and watch the temp sink very rapidly.

OK, thanks very much. I'll pull a wiring diagram off the Mitchells CD and see if there is anything interfereing there.

ok thanks kev!

that looks like what i will be giving a go at doing tommorow then!!

thought id add, the thermostate is jammed open, as when a new 1 was put in the water and oil temp shot away up! u any idea what the deep down problem could be??

really want to get to the bottom of this!

If the stat jams open, the engine would take ages to warm up, which is a good sign! I always drop new stats in a glass of boiling water first to see if they open, you sometimes get a duff one.

Difficult to diagnose without seeing it but go back to basics. Is the water free to flow? Blockages, air locks etc all prevent water flow and it'll over heat.

Good luck!

i know that the water will heat in traffic as constantly flowing so not getting time to cool in rad! water should be flowing ok had new pump fitted and system filled again by a garage so should be ok!

doesnt use any water at all which is the strage bit. so must not be getting too hot!

would having it connected to a vagcom tell me the correct engine temp? to see if the guage is the faulty bit??

cheers all fun and games lol!

As Rodders said...VAGCOM VAGCOM VAGCOM before you do anything else.

I'd wager your system is probably fine. The fans are doing their job if the guage is out by around 10 degrees, which is far from unheard of.

OK cheers

does any1 know of anywhere up this way where i could get it checked? rather than getting robbed at a dealers!!!

This is an old post but i had a question similar to bv, but not quite the same. The fuses for the fan are located near the coolant tank correct, theres a metal piece that connect the two screws and then their two regular fuses, what amps should they be??

Thanks

It's engineering gone crazy. All VW needed to do was slot a couple of SPAL fans on the rad that come on at 90 degrees and that's it, really no need for the above nonsense!

You reckon replacing the standard setup with a couple (or even a single) of Spal fans would do the trick? I believe they shift up to 1000m3/hr of air so its big air movement.