Sign in to follow this  
lj16v

MK 4 rear calipers,disks,pads,braided hoses?

Hi all,

Just recently got a VR6 (previously 16v, now owned by another forum member, hope its going well andy)

The rear calipers, discs, pads are shot to pieces and need replacing, i 've seen that lots of people are going for the MK4 ones. I've been trawling around the site to work out the parts i require and i am fairly confident i've figured it out but would just like you guys (and girls) on here to confirm before i go and blow a load of cash on the wrong parts...

I reckon i need;

MK 4 rear calipers (left and right) £62.50 ea + VAT (£125 + VAT)

MK 4 rear pads (was thinking of either EBC green stuff or Pagid fast road, is there a preference, same price from GSF) £32.50 + VAT

Corrado rear disks (probably X-drilled from GSF, they are made by Zimmerman, any good?) £38.50 ea + VAT (£77 + VAT)

The bit that i am a little unsure about is if i need a Goodridge braided hose kit to go between the new MK4 calipers and the original corrado bits (like an adapter between the two) or can i just use the original corrado rubber hoses?

Any advice, part no.s etc will be much appreciated.........

I only use Textar (oe Porsche) pads as they are the correct thickness and have the self adhesive backing for the outer pad, clean if off for the inner pad. You need a special adapter hose to replace the original as the G4 caliper uses a banjo fitting.

places like c&r enterprises sell the mk4 calipers and relevent hoses as a kit,i would imagine stealth would be able to sort you out aswell

Hi Laurence,

Think you need the Goodridge MKII-MKIV conversion hose kit. You can get it direct from Goodridge for under £30. Planning on doing this myself for the rears.

With regards to the car, afraid it hasn't been going all that well so far! :( Leaking rocker cover gasket (still leaking after being replaced :roll: ), knackered alarm, broken front engine mount, oil leak from the side of the head, all bushes need replacing, knackered rear caliper etc.

That said, the suspension is soooo much better now on the Konis, and the car feels quite a bit quicker now with Vibratechnics front mount and KR cam. I will persevere and get it all sorted.

How's the VR? Bet ya loving that noise :twisted:

Corrado rear disks (probably X-drilled from GSF, they are made by Zimmerman, any good?) £38.50 ea + VAT (£77 + VAT)

if your going for uprated or fast road pads get some decent disks to match, especially if you abuse your brakes quite a lot, i used some green stuff pads with zimmereman disks and the disk started to craze on the surface and squeel and hum all the time, they also seem to warp very easilly and i have heard that the cross drilled zimmermans tend to crack around the holes.

genuine vag disks are meant to be pretty good or the brembo max disks from gsf for £34.50

Thanks for the advice guys, will be sorting all this out shortly, looking forward to stopping a bit quicker!

Andy, hope the car works out, will post some pics of mine soon, it needs a bit more polishing first though! It seems to be going fine, nice and smooth with loads of lazy power, quite different from the 16V to drive, far less revvy, i think it may have calmed down the way i drive (maybe i'm just not noticing how fast i'm going?).

But yeah it's generally in pretty good nick for it's age/miles/price , just a few bits that need replacing and lots of cleaning........

get the banjo conversion kit from C+R

Mk4 calipers,just the ordinary ones.

You can use corrado pads too.

I changed the handbrake cable whilst I was at it.

There is a long exhaustive thread here talking about mm's of differance between certain kinds of vw pads,I kept it simple and cheaper.

Roy

I'd personally steer well clear of green stuff pads... go for the pagid fr's. I went for brand new oe discs, bearings and handbrake cables, cheaper than you mite thing from the stealer..... especially if you go in there and mutter something about being in the trade club ;)

IMO this whole pad thickness thing is utter rubbish..... if you set the pads correctly when you install the caliper... i.e wind the caliper out untill there is a close clearance between disc and pad you will not have any problems at all. My pedal feel improved a lot and the handbrake has 2-3 nice clicks to give a handbrake that locks the rear wheels (yes you will be able to handbrake turn a vw with rear discs!!!!)

Jezza might have to pop down and let you have a go at bleeding my brakes. Still not happy with the pedal feel after fitting the 288's & MK4 rears. :(

I'm with Jezza, standard VAG discs & bearings are pretty darn good and the Pagid's are great even from cold.

Added benefit with the Pagid Fast Road pads is that the brake dust wipes off very easily too.

One other thing - the rear brakes do very little on a C (that's what the brake compensator vavle does - reduce rear braking) so going for anything other than standard items is a personal choice.

Fitting Mk4 items is more about getting a handbrake that works consistenly and doesn't stick on.

One thing about the standard disks - they're electroplated so the bits around the braking surface don't go rusty.

Ok think i'm getting there on understanding what parts i need, currently thinking;

Goodridge conversion hoses (£24 from C+R)

Textar pads for Mk 4 rear calipers (£27 from C+R) the guy there seemed to think they were the best fit (hear what your saying though JezzaG60)

VAG corrado rear discs (£52 a pair from either C+R or VAG dealership, preference?) or Brembo rear corrado discs (as triggermyson) (£33 a pair from GSF) Preference?

The bit i am slightly unsure about now is the MK4 rear callipers; i've spoken to C+R and my VAG dealership in Poole (still getting /confirming prices) the guy at the dealership wasn't that keen when i said i was going to put MK4 callipers on a corrado (said i would have to sign a disclaimer!) anyway he gave me some prices which seemed to vary depending on which year MK4 the calipers were for so my question is which year do i need? what part no.? (the earlier ones were cheeper) Also do i need the carriers? or use corrado carriers already on the car?

Also my gut instinct is to go for VAG original parts, am i right?

cheers guys, will hopfully have this sorted soon, appreciate the help!

the calipers bolt onto the standard Corrado carriers... I have no idea on part number though, sorry...

Got the local garage to sort out my discs and pads in the end (did the calipers/hoses etc. myself). They managed to get the bolts off the carriers with some heat in the end.

Now that the rears are bedding in (and the 288mm fronts) the braking really is so much better.