Storm Warning

Storm Warning's - v3.0 from Page 10

Sadly N90 147 001 is wrong for the bulk of the bungs, I thought it was that too and now have 6 of them... but they look like they might fit in place of N90363901 - they are the same size but without the profile... I'll get some other photos and explain which part numbers I believe they all are - but this has to be one of the rarest jobs ever on Corrado 🙂

Next pictures some viewers might find disturbing...

While there wasn't excessive rot, at the price of the panels I decided to just change them rather than have the repairs made on the arches, around the fuel filler and the join to the inner arch.  On both sides, the whole quarters are being replaced with VW panels: outer skin, inner skin and the arch.  Detailed measurements taken and bracing has added to ensure factory fit down to the last spot weld...

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 09.22.43 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 09.22.43.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 09.22.44.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-09 at 09.22.44 (1).jpeg

No real progress made while waiting for some panels... Just one more still to come 🙂

Boot and rear sections were repairable, but as with other sections, just not worth the time/money vs a new panel.

PXL_20210309_175138955.jpg

PXL_20210309_175136745.jpg

PXL_20210309_175133467.jpg

I've started to share my build on Instagram, the shell will be back with me soon and it's looking great. If you are interested in the build give me a follow 👍

This is probably th most comprehensive restoration I have seen - I imagine the drive train will follow. Must be a 30 to 40 k rebuild im guessing. 

4 minutes ago, Keyo said:

This is probably th most comprehensive restoration I have seen - I imagine the drive train will follow. Must be a 30 to 40 k rebuild im guessing. 

30-40k so far or when finished? 

I honestly don't know how long it will take to rebuild, I'll do what I can, when I can and see.  Every component removed will be refreshed or replaced, pretty time consuming but can't wait!  Have a few options for power lined up and some decisions to make soon.

Estimate is finished  chap/ I mean it makes sense to rebuild a car from top to bottom it costs the same as the car new with inflation 

5 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Estimate is finished  chap/ I mean it makes sense to rebuild a car from top to bottom it costs the same as the car new with inflation 

A little scared to really think about it if I'm honest 🤣 I've already gone more to town than I planned.  At the moment I'd guess you are at least 50% out with that estimate.   

1 minute ago, Storm Warning said:

A little scared to really think about it if I'm honest 🤣 I've already gone more to town than I planned.  At the moment I'd guess you are at least 50% out with that estimate.   

Im not sure which way up or down and Im out but seen a fair few mk2 gti have 40 k restoration jobs now.  Its the reality of classic car restoration I suppose. . 

9 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Im not sure which way up or down and Im out but seen a fair few mk2 gti have 40 k restoration jobs now.  Its the reality of classic car restoration I suppose. . 

It will be north of 40k, how far I don't know. Depends on what spec I throw at it now.  A friend of mine laughed when I said it will come in under 60k, I think is likely he didn't (and has done a few full car restos to this level). The majority of paid labour is done now, mine is free.

I've a spreadsheet of every part and bill (I'll log my time too just for interest) maybe I'll add it up at the end 🤮. Ultimately, I'm enjoying the journey and I can't wait to drive her again 🥰

13 minutes ago, Storm Warning said:

It will be north of 40k, how far I don't know. Depends on what spec I throw at it now.  A friend of mine laughed when I said it will come in under 60k, I think is likely he didn't (and has done a few full car restos to this level). The majority of paid labour is done now, mine is free.

I've a spreadsheet of every part and bill (I'll log my time too just for interest) maybe I'll add it up at the end 🤮. Ultimately, I'm enjoying the journey and I can't wait to drive her again 🥰

As you say there is a lot of joy in bringing something back to its dawning glory and will be a lifetime of enjoyment in that car as it ages like a mature bottle of fine wine. 

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

As you say there is a lot of joy in bringing something back to its dawning glory and will be a lifetime of enjoyment in that car as it ages like a mature bottle of fine wine. 

Totally agree, might need some fine wine to get through it too!

You are definitely not compromising on anything looking at it at the stage it’s at now. Can’t wait to see more 👍