Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Done my own alloy refurb....

justa few pics of how my wheels were and how they are now, took me 2 hours in all, very pleased!....

DSC01010.JPG

DSC01011.JPG

DSC01012.JPG

DSC01014.JPG

DSC01017.JPG

DSC01015.JPG

DSC01016.JPG

DSC01021.JPG

DSC01019.JPG

DSC01020.JPG

DSC01018.JPG

so please that they look half decent!

keep at it, using finer grades of paper and then polish and they'll be like a mirror.

then again, I quite like the satin effect you've acheived there.

is there any kind of attachment i can get for a drill that could allow me to put a slight polish on them?

Neil man.

I think it is ace the way you just have a go at anything. Some on here seem to ask a million questions then do nowt about it. but you just get on with things and dare I say it make a damn fine job in the end. That boot install went from being a bit shakey (IMO) to a profesional looking install and that is quite a turnaround on some mucky looking wheels.

Top Bombing.

cant beat the old fashioned sand paper getting finer and finer way imo 8)

look good m8 8)

you could get a felt for the drill but imo hands are better,especially on a nicely shaped surface like that.

if you sweep over a large area in an even pressure (hardly any,let the paper do the work) it will stop any dips etc.

1k/2k grade paper and autosol if you want em like a mirror 8)

Neil.

Good skills!

Repainted a set of rims myself this very eve, spooky! They're getting laquered tomorrow after the paint has hardended.

Oettingers.JPG

what kind of paper should i use, wet n dry or normal sand paper?

and you say 1k - 2k, do you mean 1000 'grade'?

Will alloy polish up?

Neil

GIT Haywire, i want them back NOW !

You'd only sell them again in 3 weeks ;)

Good work Neil.. i've never dared try something like that for feer of ruining them beyond repair!! :) Nice one! :)

neil hi chap ive just been doing that to the lip on my borbets!

i started with 400 wet and dry and was amazed what that done really i then did 800 grade havent gone any further yet but i have 1200, 1600, then 2000 to finish! but i think that with a 2000 finish and no polishing they will have to be re-done quite often!

I have been told to just use some normal polishes or maybe you could even get some laquer but dont polish it quite as high grade as it wont take to the alloy!

Cheers Andy

sorry im a little cofused at the end, when you say dont polish it quite as 'high grade' do you mean 2000 of like 400?

So i should try, 400, 800, then 1000, 1500 then 2000?

will that provide a good finish?

hi neil what im trying to say is it depends how long you want the finish to last before you need to do it again this is where polishing loses out over chroming etc!

basically all lower grade will not give as deep a shine but will last longer between polishes and you should be able to get a laquer to stay on the wheel

where as if you use a higher grade wet and dry you will get a nicer shine and polish but laquer has trouble sticking to it and you will need to re polish more reguarly to keep your nice shine

Andy

ah right, well i might try some fine (1000 grade) wet n dry to see if it give sit a nice smooth look.

If i want to laquer them ill prob have to get another set of alloys as mine will have to be off the car for a while, at the moment ive done the back two, and next i need to do the front two.

HI mate im gonna polish mine all the way up to 2000 grade wet and dry!

and then give it 1 abrasive polish then some more 2000 grade then a final polish with some was and see what happens!

neil i polished my exhaust to 1500 grade in about 20mins i started with 800 as not scratches on the exhaust or nothing!

this maybe of help chap

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15

let me know what you do and how it comes out thou fella as im well interested! good work by the way!

Andy

p.s im not sure how long the laquer takes to set!

ah brill, halfords sell U-POL goods so i might pop into there!

will keep you posted, now off to work :(

thanks for all your help!

Dont mean to hijack this one, but for painting alloys can you use hammerite smooth or is it best to use primer and then normal wheel paint?

defo use a wheel paint chap i mean you can use hammerite but its normally more off a matty finish! then laquer it!

neil: i got some simoniz laquer today ill let you know how it goes when polished to acceptable standard!

Good work Neil, can't believe it took you 2 hours!

Nick... I'm still waiting... :)