Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

UPDATE: Help required for cut out problems

Hey

Going over a roundabout this morning and my car totally cut out (not stalled), as I am also having some starting problems I papped myself.

Managed to start it whilst going around the roundabout (no PAS as engine was off) just managed to avoid the kerb and some other traffic!!!!

I had a similar problem a while ago and got mechanic mate to adjust the idle screw, I'm thinking this is the problem again, however looking at the throttle there is several screws and I don't know which one it is!

Can anyone help? I asssume this procedure is correct for adjusting it...

On a 16V you disconnect the red/black at the coil, that stops the idle stab valve working. You then adjust the tickover with the screw on the throttle body. Then reconnect the wire.

Anything else I should know?

Cheers

I may be wrong, my memory isn't what it used to be and I've had too many VWs so I get mixed up between them! But I'm 99% sure you won't have an idle speed adjustment screw on a 9A, you do however have an idle mixture screw. There is a correct procedure for setting this, which I did on mine, I would not touch the mixture personaly.

Did it stall when you were accelerating or at idle? I'm assuming you were at part throttle which would mean the idle spead setup would not have anything to do with it.

the engine dies when overunning, ie off throttle appraoaching the roundabout. I was under the impression that the screw is linked to the ISV. If the screw isn't set right the engine swings under and cuts out?

"i know nothing, I from barcelona" :D

Lippy, Ok, if you are off throttle then it sounds like an idle speed issue for definate. The procedure you described is for earlier 16vs, but I'm almost certain you won't be able to do this on yours because it doesn't have an idle speed adjustment screw. I'll have a look at mine at lunch time to confirm that for definate. Assuming that is the case, I would check the switch on the bottom of the throttle body which tells the ECU the engine needs to idle and usees the ISV to control the idle speed. If this is ok, it may be worth checking for vaccum leaks. Are you having problems with the idle speed varying, sometimes its fast other times it is too slow? If so I think it would be most likely to be the ISV.

Just had a look, no idle speed adjustment as I thought.

I'd go for:

1. Spend 5 mins checking all vaccum hoses for leaks.

2. Check the switch on the bottom of your throttle body is operating correctly. Easiest with the throttle body off.

3. Try cleaning the ISV, you may be lucky and get it working.

yeah just been reading about cleaning the ISV, think that needs to be the first port of call.

With the above in mind would there be any other side effects that may be apparent, the car does seem to be running quite rich although I am not sure if MPG is worse or not (25 mpg over a 12 mile run to work??)

the car is in dire need of a service, I guess it needs some good loving!

How much is a new ISV if the worst comes ?

could be a dodgy lambda sensor making it run rich, overfuel at idle and stall due to overfuelling?!? Dunno, cleaning the ISV and checking the lambda is working would be my first ports of call....

it doesnt so much stall, as just straight cuts out, there is no juddering or lurching like you'd just past your test!

its really strange and really facking me off, I keep thinking about the damn car and its getting me severely annoyed in work. I either want to drive it off a cliff or throw money at it (which I don't have) on big brakes, rims and tyres and a comprehensive run over by Vince...

I don't suppose Vince has a twin brother who lives up north and is equally skilled? Can anyone recommend anyone?

Have to say I've not had great results from just cleaning the ISV, my dad and I actually rebuilt the ISV on my MK2 8v digifant Golf. It was useless for ages but we rebuilt it and found two different adjustement screws on it. After a whole load of messing around which was 5 years ago, we got it working perfectly, and it still works spot on now.

Yes if it is faulty, or risk one from a breaker if you can find one. I have a feeling they are a lot of money new.

If it makes you feel any better mine is not too great at the moment either, it regularly idles at 500rpm. I've given it a goof clean up, but got no improvement.

I know its not of much use but I started to get this with my first 2.0 16v before I sold it on. It would only happen sometimes, and there was no obvious pattern to it other than it would happen within the first 5-10 minutes of starting the car.

Would drive into a roundabout or something, dip the clutch, and in doing so the car would instantly cut out.. if you had a CD on or something you wouldn't notice cause that would keep playing - so you'd then coast into the roundabout, try to steer and suddenly think "OH DEAR" as the steering went very heavy and you had no throttle available.

No other obviously symptoms at all - no erratic idling or anything - just very occasional cut out, and would restart fine again on the first turn of the key.

Jim, Just like mine is at the moment, but mine doesn't stall it just idles very slow. Other times it idles at 1200 rpm.

I'be been very busy recently so I've just put up with it, but next week I may have a proper look at this ISV. Unfortunately its different to the 8v one, so I cannot do the same on this one, but I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Lippy, take Dazzys advice above and just change the ignition switch and the fuel pump and ecu relays (all cheap critical parts)

Also I assume you've checked the battery connections, earths etc...

cheers guys,

Jim, thats the exact situation thrown in with an iffy idle when its been sat in traffic.

Phil, beginning to think that cleaning the ISV won't make to much difference anyway, I am thinking that there must be a problem on the throttle side of things, the idle is "perfect", e.g. no hunting, just low at 500 ish rpm when warm. I am beginning to think about the TPS which may be throwing out the whole idle/overun situation. What do you think?

Supercharged, cleaned battery terminals and connections this weekend, need to get the battery off (well rusted on) to clean the main earth.

Also, bit of an update. Car wouldn't start at all last night after work, getting good volts from the battery so ruled out a flat battery. Was getting really annoyed so I cranked the key in the ignition much harder than I would do normally, to my surprise the cheeky git started!

When I got home I whipped the cover off the steering column and checked the connections to the ignition, all seemed ok. Since then it has started first time and driven much smoother except for the 15 minute traffic jam when the idle dropped. However it was much better than yesterday...

If the ignition switch is on the blink what other effects would this have when the car is running? (not sure if this is a really dumb question :oops:)

Now off to do some searches!

Andrew

Lippy, It doesn't have a TPS as such, but the equivalent is the switch I mentioned on the throttle body, which tells the ECU that the car is at idle.

Interesting what you mention about the ignition switch, the contacts inside the switch are the problem. They are very cheap to buy and I think there is a fitting guide on here. Obviously if that fails you lose ignition, I've had one fail, the ignition came on no problems, but you could not crank the engine.

You could buy a switch and plug it in temporarily without fitting it, just have it hanging from the steering column, that would be an easy way to see if it is this.

You could buy a switch and plug it in temporarily without fitting it, just have it hanging from the steering column, that would be an easy way to see if it is this.

Yep, obviously turning the key in the barrel to unlock the steering before you go anywhere!!

Lippy - deffo get a new switch in there before driving it anymore!

sounds like you have the same problem as i but mine dont like to start after it stalls , bloody thing , starting to get a little tits off with the car , my wife was driving it yesterday and no problems at all , even got asked by some one if she wanted to sell it , i would have proberly said yes to him at the mo as every time i drive it it breaks down on me :x :x :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :cry:

tbh, not made time to fit the switch :oops:

starting problems now solved my turning the key and lifting at the same time! when it starts first time, it runs perfectly. Sometimes it takes 2sec to crank the engine, then it seems to run worse over the course of the jounrney to work.

Note to self, stop being lazy!