RADO.001

brake upgrade help!!

i want to up grade the brakes on my C but it dosnt look like theres alot of room behide my DZ's. so what do you lot think would be best just put another front setup on the rear and some braded hoses, uprated disc & pad?

If they are 16's you should easily get 288 MK3 Highline discs and calipers behind there. I can fit them under my 15 inch speedlines. You might even get some 312's behind there...

so is it posable to have the same size setup on the front and rear? and what am i going to need if i wanted a 288 setup all round?

not much room there. easiest way is to find a corrado/mk3 golf with some 288's on, and just try one of your alloys on it, sure someone here will help ya out,

Nah, keep the rear discs as standard mate ~ They don't do much braking anyway, it's all about the fronts. You can fit MK4 rear calipers for an improvement.

If you want to do the fronts you'll need calipers, carriers, pads and discs off/for a MK3 highline golf. Plus you'll need some goodridge conversion hoses, do a search it has been covered a lot.

288s won't fit behind those wheels by the look of it and don't forget, being a sliding caliper, it's currently sitting further in than normal as the pads are partially worn. With new pads on the 288s, the wheels will foul the calipers.

Not many options available to you I'm afraid, other than spacers or different wheels.

If you were to change the wheels to somthing like a keskin KT4 (very simular design wheel but with alot more clearance) you would open up the avenue to many more possibilites. imho spacers on the front are not an option if you want to keep the wheel inside the arch.

If it's got standard discs and pads on then why not just get some decent uprated ones on it? The tar-ox discs and pads on mine made a massive difference to it's stopping ability, I almost headbutted the steering wheel the first time I tried an emergency stop!

think you can fit mk2 wishbones to narrow the track by 20mm on each side. That would let you run 20mm spacers for brake clearance. If you want decent brakes i'd advise saving for a proper big brake kit. By the time you've bought grooved/drilled discs and pads in the standard size your half way to the cost of some decent brakes. Believe me, once you've got big brakes anything else feels scarily ineffective.

ok i cant go with bigger discs, coz of the DZ's.

so what the best standard size uprated discs and pad combo then?

think you can fit mk2 wishbones to narrow the track by 20mm on each side

Corrado 4 stud wishbones are the same as a Golf 2, it's the subframe that is wider. If you changed the subframe to narrow the track, how would you get your camber?

RADO.001, going by your picture, it's not looking likely, sorry bud.

If Pagid do their racing materials in your pad profile, the RS15 is an extremely grippy pad. Perhaps some Brembo sport max drilled discs would compliment them nicely.

Ideally you need bigger discs and calipers to get huge gains, but it's not doable with your wheels.

Crasher, I think it's just the wishbones that are 15mm longer on the plus axle cars. Using the shorter wishbones would lose the wide track and extended ARB pick up advantages....

think you can fit mk2 wishbones to narrow the track by 20mm on each side. That would let you run 20mm spacers for brake clearance. If you want decent brakes i'd advise saving for a proper big brake kit. By the time you've bought grooved/drilled discs and pads in the standard size your half way to the cost of some decent brakes. Believe me, once you've got big brakes anything else feels scarily ineffective.

Oh come on. I just did my fronts and rears, new everything 288s & MK4 rears + handbrake cables and solid brakelines for £300. Going by the cost of kev's AP kit that's still a mile off. Are there cheaper big brake kits?

so what the best standard size uprated discs and pad combo then?

Good question, trouble is none of the mags review brakes anymore because all the major manufacturers run adverts in their mag and they don't want to risk losing revenue by slating any one manufacturer. The last test was years ago and brake technology has moved on since then so unless you know someone that's tried loads of different brakes you're unlikely to get a good answer.

But according to my friend who has worked for Tarox for about 5 years Ferrodo make the best fast road pads, and they are relatively cheap as well. As expected he reckons tarox make the best discs, I've not tried many different brake combos so am not one of the best judges but they certainly made a big difference to the stopping ability. Only trouble is pads don't last too long due to the masses of grooves.

Maybe we should have a brake discussion thread sticky?

I've got since a while a new setup of brakes at the front of the car. I have discs of Black Diamond and brake pads from Mintex and I'm realy pleased about these.

SchijvenBlokken.JPG

I already have used the complete performance of this setup for more than once, it realy brakes hard in compare with the OEM parts.

RADO.001, whenever I've looked for brakes http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk have usually ended up the cheapest. They also have information about the coefficient of friction for the brake pads.

As far as reading up about them goes your best bet is to look on the net for reviews of any specific component you're interested in. Just remember that there appears to be an inherent snobbery against all things non-Brembo. While Brembo's pedigree cannot be questioned, it must be particularly galling for a manufacturer with the repute of say Tarox or AP Racing to be dismissed as essentially second-rate by comparison by people who seemingly are more concerned with the writing on the caliper.

Drilled discs are pretty much always bad news. On Porsches and Ferraris they are cast, not simply drilled. They're also much thicker than on aftermarket applications, even the likes of Brembo.

My advise would be to get Ferrodo DS2500 pads, Tarox g88 discs and braided hoses. That set-up will make a massive improvement over standard discs/pads.

cheers for the addvice mate, but is this set up just for the front? if so what about the rear?

RADO.001, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, Tarox g88 discs and braided hoses.

There's hardly any weight over the rears so they don't need upgrading, the fronts do the majority of the work. Also, the the rears are perfectly capable as they are, after mine was lowered and the compensator valve was being setup there was a point where there was too much going to the rears and under hard braking the back of the car was skidding all over the place (ABS was disconnected).

Unless you've got huge front brakes the only thing worth doing to the rears is putting on mk4 calipers and carriers.

the mk4 calipers and carriers go on standard corrado rear discs, the fronts are 288mm which apparantly won't fit behind your alloys