Sign in to follow this  
TIMMYVR

EBC BRAKES

Hello everyone, just wondering what your thoughts are on EBC brakes?

A customer ordered EBC red stuff ceramic pads and EBC grooved discs front and rear for his vr6 from my shop and now he doesnt want them. Was thinking of fitting them to my vr6, as my brakes need upggrading :? Cheers TIMMY

EBC red stuff ceramic pads and EBC grooved discs front and rear for his vr6

Red pads not a lot of use on the road.

Plenty of people do run reds on the road but they just take a bit of warming up afaik.

Persnonally I hate EBC pads.

I don't rate EBC pads at all to be honest.... their green stuff pads I found to be too hard, not warm up enough and generally not be very good for road use (never tried 'em on a track).... Aren't the red stuff pads intended for track use mainly? You'll probably find that they don't work very well at all on the road if I'm right about that... :|

i run greens and turbo grooves for a while. well i run the discs for a while they were very good. the original greens were poor retained too much heat and warped discs. i believe more copper is in v4 pads so were better but never went back. did provide the best combo perf wise. ive tried on std calipers and disc size

I have ceramic race pads on mine and they warm up a lot faster than normal road pads ;-) But they're Pagids though, not sure what the EBCs are like.....

TMD frictions own Pagid, EBC, Mintex, Ferodo etc etc now and I do know that since this happened, EBC had a big shake up and made loads of improvements. My g/f's mother works at the company that make the brake discs for EBC, Pagid, brembo etc......cheapy parts for me :-)

Like yellow snow, I'd avoid all things EBC. I had the "turbo-groove" (Max Power name says it all really) discs with Green pads and they were a lot worse than standard. This was on a 6N Polo too. The pads took ages to warm up and overheated very easily. Also, the discs warped and had to be machined true. I had Pagids on my old G60 and they were good, marginally better than standard. Quite cheap too from GSF.

EDIT: The Pagids were dusty though which was a pain on BBS wheels :lol:

Thanks for the info everyone, bit of a mixed bag then? The pads are the new v2 compound, im gonna give them a try as im getting them a discounted price and will let you know how i get on with them. Timmy

Hi everyone, had the brakes fitted. So far so good, no sqeealing etc and they "bite" really well and the car stays straight. Will see how we get on as they bed in more. :D

I have the latest Green Pads on mine.

This was against many telling me of braking not so good when pads cold, falling apart etc etc.

Mine have been on a while now and I can report no problems what so ever.

Infact the braking is excellent and I would not have any problems recommeding them.

Ive just been out again and put them through there paces a bit more and they seem great, and so much more bite than standard. As kevHaywire said there have been loads of improvement at ebc so maybe this is why theyre a lot better than the previous ebc pads and dics?

ebc brakes are rubbish,,

i had problems with greenstuff pads not biting and tehn fading,, so i complained, they then sent me a full set of redstuff FOC, which was nice,, but these wore out a set of brand new front disks in the time it took to wear out half a set of the pads, now back on std pads and dot 5.1 fluid,, no brake fade around the nurburgring,,,,, did 20 laps at teh wekend and all is well,,

think people often overlook upgrading the fluid,, made more difference to mine than any brake pads!!

Yeah 5.1 does make a difference.....it has a 50 degree (IIRC) higher wet boiling point than Dot4.....but it's still not enough, so some racers with ultra uber mega brakes have brake fluid coolers.....nutters!! :-)

thing is with abs you cant use silicone fluid so its regular fl;uid changes for us,,

mind you its a good idea to do it once a year anyhow at least it makes you have a proper look at teh braking system, state of metal hoses etc,,

Yeah it's hygroscopic like Dot 3 & 4 unfortunately.

Nothing unfortunate about that, brake fluid is designed to absorb water. Even though the sytem is sealed microscopic amounts of water permeate any rubber seal/hose and master cylinder reservoirs (nylon). If that's left in there it will corrode the system from the inside out, also when cold enough it will form little chunks of ice, not something you want plugging up the system.

Silicon based fluids are more compressible than the traditional glycol ether based fluids so will give you a spongier pedal. Personally I'd stick with DOT 4 and have it changed annualy, that's what the internal compoments were designed for and there is the possibility they might not react favourably to the chemical compound in DOT 5.1.