Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

The 'Running a Rotrex charger on a VR6' thread..

The chargcooler itself isn't bad (a tad small maybe) but the location of it is a little 'compromised' for optimum cooling peformance.

Still.... the Lotus Carlton and SL55 AMG have chargecoolers above the engine, which seem to work.....but not above a 500 deg manifold though, LOL!

Would i be wrong in saying you could of opted for a smaller pulley for less PSI?

Not rubbing it in just wondered if that was available to you?

Yes that's the kit,about average price in the UK,my stud kit was ordered from the States with my manifold from Sp and worked out under £85 but your better off buying from UK and you will be able to run 15psi all day long...i hope :lol:

Would i be wrong in saying you could of opted for a smaller pulley for less PSI?

The charger was supplied with the stock pulley,but yes you are correct I probably would have requested a larger one under the circumstances.

Its only when Vince started tweaking the fueling that the charger "unlocked" and started boosting like crazy.

Proper linear power too, can't wait to actually drive it!

The charger was supplied with the stock pulley,but yes you are correct I probably would have requested a larger one under the circumstances.

Its only when Vince started tweaking the fueling that the charger "unlocked" and started boosting like crazy.

Proper linear power too, can't wait to actually drive it!

Why the F*** I said smaller for less I honestly dont know...I blame it on the Sangria as im at my folks place in Spain at the mo..adios.

I think it is personally.

A friend of a friend spent £17K on a mega spec engine for his subaru. £17K!!! I suspect that was a drive in drive out price, but even so.... makes a couple of K for a charger or 3 to 4K for a turbo seem positively cheap :-)

o/t a bit I know but when you consider how much else you've spent on top of forcing in general on brakes/mounts/suspension/cooling/gearbox etc it "can" get expensive, especially when your starting from scratch.

thats why I am following securicor vans "just in case" :lol: (this is a joke, not a criminal!!!)

Well I think ive spent £4000 over the six years ive had my corrado to supercharge and put some porsche brembos on will push it to the £6500 so add that to the original purchase price of £7100 ive spent £13,600 for what IMHO will be a well sorted quick and uncommon coupe. Good value I'd say but everyones different.

yeah, in the whole scheme of things I am going to be running a shabby looking, but well sorted mechnically, rare(ish) car, that will be pushing 350+bhp for around 3-4k total spend, so actually a bit of a bargain really if you compare it to a newer car with similar spec!

back on topic though its update time.

C2 Motorsports 3 layer gasket is on its way from the USA (should be here any day)

ARP headstuds should be here tomorrow.

place that did the headgasket are redoing it for free!! which is a result.

They are also changing both front wishbones and the rear powerflex bushes and redoing the MOT. All being well I should have her back for my 30th birthday on the 5th November (which will be nice)

Just have to make another booking with Vince after that, quite chuffed that he didn't charge me for the 2hrs on the dyno before the headgasket blew (pissing oil and water all over himself and the dyno, I did clear the mess up though!)

£3-£4 k total spend ..Wow that is cheap, what compression drop are you going for?

2hrs on the Dyno for free...he knows you'll be back though :lol:

compression will be 8.5:1 as it allows me to run at 17psi. head has had a fe skims though, so maybe marginally higher.

just hoping my bottom end holds together!

The C cost me £1700 originally (1 and 1/2 years ago, had a Scirocco GTX 1.8 Inj before), charger was £1100, recent work was £1k, other bits and bobs including remapping prob about £1k so actually around £4700 mark total.

Good point, I was going to say no, but it is increasing the distance between the pullies, so it will, slightly. Can you get Vernier pullies for the VR to correct this?

mr_fusion, stock VR bottom end is good for 400hp, which if you're running 17psi, you'll probably achieve. I would definitely use ARP rod and head bolts though.

CoxyLaad, nope. When I fitted my 9:1 spacer, the timing went back together perfectly. Standard VW reinz gasket is 1.5mm thick. 9:1 spacer is about 2.5mm thick. 1mm isn't enough to throw the timing out. Stock metal VR gasket is 0.5mm thick and using that with 8.5:1 pistons gives you 9:1 CR - which is what I'm doing :-)

Toad, you can get VR verniers.....but they're expensive! But we're only talking 1mm difference. If the spacer gasket was 5mm thick, then yeah you'd need verniers ;-)