Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

The 'Running a Rotrex charger on a VR6' thread..

Head gasket, timing chains, clutch and valve work went well.

Went to pick the car up at the weekend and now it is overheating and water is boiling out of the expansion tank.

:roll:

Coxylaad.... please explain that?

Am i missing something mate or are you commenting on the "went well" and "overheating" as not being applicable to each other?

just seems a bit strange that it went into the garage ok, had a head gasket done, then come out with a overheating and pressuring up the water system problem (THE classic symptom of a blown head gasket)

Thing is without looking at your car in person then its impossible to say. Could well be a blocked rad, but it does sound suspect the way you typed that!

Ok, looks like it was an airlock.

Water temps are much lower now.

Head has had a complete rebuild as well as the other work:

Here is a breakdown

Replace head gaskets, skim x 2 cyl head

Dismantle and decoke cyl head, clean & face valves

Reface cyl head, recut seats

Bore out head & fit new valve guides, fit new hydraulic lifters

Refit valves

Replace timing chain and tensioners

Replace clutch

Car is a lot smoother now + clutch bite is much stronger.

However this hasn't solved my oil temp problems.

Just took it for a spin to work and back in central london, oil temps are normal untill its pushed a little (acceleration off the line). Temp then got up to about 126 degrees and settles back to 120 ish until I got back home.

On the 140mile journey back at the weekend I was seeing these kind of temperatures and if I booted it they went as high as 144degrees.

The low and high oil pressure senders have been changed but I haven't changed the oil temp sender yet as its a VAG only part.

I have now ordered a Mocal oil cooler kit anyway as it no doubt a good investment (£137 off ebay including necessary sandwich plate).

Bearing in mid this is a 140k mileage engine, what do people recommend as being the best oil to put in this? I have been running 10w40 semi synthetic halfords stuff for about 8 months now.

Clean up the oil temp sender connections mate (it's the green one on the left on the filter housing). They get corroded over time and can give false readings.

I'll give that a go later tonight.

The oil temps used to be fine when I first got the car a year ago, but have been getting progressively worse over time. There are no other signs of overheating though and the head work didn't reveal any other damage (although I can't be sure of the condition inside the block)

One thing I will say though is that the temps don't increase when running either of teh chargers I have had on there. Although the water injection would counteract this to some degree anyway.

Vince did say that it was running lean with the stock chip and injectors (which would increase temps anyway).

Would a 10w50 oil help anyway as its not exactly a new engine or is the 10w40 oil going to be fine for the near future. I plan on doing an oil change when I get the mocal anyway.

I switched to a thicker oil on mine and it cured over run smoking. I use 10W/50 Silkolene Pro S.

I took my head off last night and the block isn't looking too clever, so that's more expense coming my way, LOL!

The charger won't introduce any heat to the oil tbh, turbos do though :-)

Ok, i'll stick with the 10w40 for now then.

To be honest, I had put a couple of bottles of wynns oil treatment over the last 6 months to quieten the top end down a bit and I'm sure this isn't helping, so a nice oil change is probably on the cards this week.

Right then, good news for me!

Drained the oil, swapped the oil filter and change the fan switch in the rad.

Turns out it wasn't coming on at the lower temp, so now it is, took it for a hard blast for about 20mins , results from the above:

Water temp now doesn't get hotter than about 95 degrees

Oil temp has now dropped around 15-20 degrees. I was seeing 126 after a hard short run, temp didn't get any hotter than 108 this time.

Just got to sort the ABS light now (broken ignition switch is causing it I think) - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 353#565353

Nice!

Ok, updates updates...

MOT is due 9am tomorrow so car is stock until after then.

As long as they don't find anything wrong with the car, charger is going back on on Saturday along with the Mocal kit.

Remap is on monday, so fingers crossed I will have some figures for you all Monday night...

On another note, it seems like my setup is IDENTICAL to what stormdevelopments are offering. Th major clue is on the R-Techs website in Denmark (where I bought the bits from).

http://www.r-techs.dk/page004.html

Top of the list of clients!.... I thought my bracket looked suprisingly similar to the one on their site..

Hi mr_fusion, good effort on being the guinea pig with these chargers youve got some balls jumping in the deep end like that.

Good luck with your MOT then Stealth Map looking forward to hearing your News early next week :thumbleft:

right then....... get ready for the bad news!

On the dyno at stealth, after a couple of good runs at full throttle.

310bhp no problems... however the charger was pushing out 15psi+

Vince started one more run to get more power and PSHHHHHHHTTTTT

HEAD GASKET BLEW!!!!!!!!! Pissing oil and water all over the shop.

(a 2 week old head gasket as well)

So, car is now going back up to shropshire tomorrow to get fixed.

On a lighter note, performance figures look pretty damn good....

Sorry I can't add any more right now as am slightly annoyed..

No torque figures i'm afraid.

I was on stock CR with standard gasket, my own fault really as I didn't expect the charger to be producing that much power.

Oh well, i do these things so you lot can learn from my mistakes!

So... I have ordered a C2 Motorsport 8.5:1 spacer gasket which is good for 17Psi (they have run them at 21psi no probs), unfortunately its from the USA so won't get it for a few days.

So C is back in shropshire for the time being, I have picked up some powerflex bushes (from Vince) and 2 new front wishbones with bushes, so these will be going on as well (mainly to pass the MOT!)

So, will keep u posted when I get the bits sorted

At least we know standard gaskets give up at 15psi... which is entirely predictable tbh...if not immediately on the rollers, definitely a month down the line.

8.5:1 a smidge low for me, I'd be going 9:1 as to not blunt the midrange too much....and definitely definitely some form of intercooling.

Bum news, I was looking forward to seeing some good results from that! Oh well, next time!!

The thing at the back of the engine is a chargcooler and not a particularly clever one either, sitting right above the exhaust manifold :roll: :lol:

The charger you can *just* see the top of behind the offside headlight ;-)