Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

The 'Running a Rotrex charger on a VR6' thread..

Shows us your Boost gauge then Ben..ooh and ill bare mine !! :censored:

mine tops out at 20psi IIRC

Blimey, whats the max psi u have seen on it though?

I havent bought a charger yet just preping the car ready for its inception ie brakes, aquamist, guages etc etc.

aha, ok

actually yes, if you had a charger i'm sure u would have included it in your specs

bum, all this talk about C stuff is making me sad... no car for at least another week :(

I have this vision of a spacer gasket being a git 1cm thick wedge of steel lol

bum, all this talk about C stuff is making me sad... no car for at least another week

poor you - I havent driven mine for 3 years!

I have this vision of a spacer gasket being a git 1cm thick wedge of steel lol

bum, all this talk about C stuff is making me sad... no car for at least another week

poor you - I havent driven mine for 3 years!

Sort it out then!!!! :) :) :)

1cm thick - LOL! :-) Compression would be about 5:1 and you'd need 3 million PSI to fill it :lol:

I wouldn't get an electronic boost guage..... they're expensive and you need to plumb in a really bulky sender in the engine bay somewhere. Vacuum guages are the way to go :-) Revotek do some nice OE looking guages (orange needle, white on black) for £40ish. They're very accurate too as my old Revotek 'Supercharger' guage matched Stealth's uber workshop hydraulic gauge..... here's mine :-) :-

G-B-PSI-B.gif

mine is VDO, but lacks any vacuum readout - no pics as a) I haven't taken any b) the car is 150miles away c) its a bit poo looking

Bit of serious news here, please read.

I have just received an email from R-Techs in Denmark regarding other users of the forum contacting them and "demanding" deals on Rotrex superchargers. I am not sure how much of this is true and what the nature of the emails he has been receiving.

I need to reiterate that the particular supercharger I bought was from ebay and thus I managed to purchase the unit for a very good price and somewhat less than retail price, I purchased the sundry items such as the bracket and belt etc at full retail price from R-Techs after the auction had finished.

Anyway, here is the body of the email I received (remember english is not his first language, but you should all get the idea)

Hi Ben

We experiencing very angry customers from the UK because they have heard from you that they can buy a superchargerkit from us for about 700 GBP. As soon as I know thats not true, and I will ask you to stop this kind of information on you chat forum. If I'm mistaking please let me know.

Best regards

Martin Holmström

The advice I gave out on the forum was that it would be better to contact R-Techs directly, rather than buying from the UK as it would probably be cheaper, not that anyone could contact them and get the same deal I got due to the nature of ebay auctions.

I am sure R-Techs would appreciate the business and the charger is definately a good buy even at their retail price.

I apologise if I have mislead other users of the forum. Martin is a genuinely helpful and friendly guy and I don't want to piss him off, especially if he would be open to group buy type scenarios in the future (if viable with demand from VR6 owners)

I hope everyone thinks this is Ok as I have a lot of respect for Martin, along with the whole Corrado community that makes this forum so worthwhile and such a great place to chat and share information.

Ben

What angry customers I think he is over reacting somewhat the correspondance I had with him goes as follows:

Hi there, could you please tell me how much you could supply a rotrex C30-90 kit for a 1994 Corrado VR6 please ?

Many Thanks

Jonathan Moore

Hi Jonathan

Yes we have complete kit for your car. The price depends on stage I or stage II kit.

How many horsepowers do you want

Best regards

Martin Holmström

On Mon Oct 23 19:17 , JONATHAN MOORE sent:

Hello Martin, could you please quote me for both stage 1 and for stage 2?

Regards

Jonathan Moore

Hi Jonathan

Stage I we can offer you for 4496 euro

and

Stage II for 5033 euro.

These kits is complete all you "maybe" need is some bolts, screws or something like that because it depends on the specific car and extra installations as aircon and so on..

Please let me know if you need any other information

Best regards

Martin Holmström

On Tue Oct 24 22:37 , JONATHAN MOORE sent:

Woah...ive got to be honest thats a little to pricey for my liking, what do i get exactley in those kits the none stretch bolts, 1 or 2mm head gasket to lower compression charge cooler or cooling mist?

Thats £3100 and £3500 without being fitted storm developments do a roll in roll out install for £3500 and this is just parts you are going to have to do a better price for me than that if we are to do buisiness.

regards

Hi Jonathan

Here is more specifik details for our kits.

K-VR6B28-2 VW Golf III VR6 2,8 Basic 2 174 - 300 Hk

Contains:

C30-84 with oilkit

Bracket

Belt

Fuelregulator

MF2 - unit

MF2 - Mapcensor 2 bar

MF2 - injection

Airfilter

Watercooler for Chargercooler

Chargercooler W/A

Re-cirkulationvalve

*No hoses

K-VR6B29-1 VW Golf III VR6 2,8 Basic 1 174 - 270 Hk

Contains:

C30-84 with oilkit

Bracket

Belt

Fuelregulator

MF2 - unit

MF2 - Mapcensor 2 bar

MF2 - injection

Airfilter

*No hoses

We have plenty of business thank you, but because we are a Rotrex Ditributor, we don't normally mount any kitsets for our customers. If they are cheaper at Storm Developments you should try to contact Andy or Miles at Storm. I'm sure that they can help you with the mounting as well.

If I may ask. Where have you heard of us/R-Techs?

Have a nice day.

Best regards

Martin Holmström

Jonny

Hi Jonathan

Please send me the URL for the forum. The thing that Benjamin forgot to mention is that he bought it on ebay for a price that is under our purchase bacuase we wanted to see if there was a market on ebay. Therefor there is 2 customers in the world (1 in the UK and 1 in US) who got a very cheap supercharger (bracket and charger). He did not get a whole kitset so I thing you shoul ask Benjamin again how many parts he has gotten for the few euroes he paid for the "kit".

Please help me with the URL for the forum.

Best regards

Martin Holmström

Woah woah and woah again ! I never said anything about Benjamins price being the right one and I fully realise that he got a deal that is never to be repeated, I was merely pointing out that your price of £3500 for parts only is a bit on the steap side in my opinion.

Regards

John Moore

"remember english is not his first language, but you should all get the idea" I think somethings been lost in the translation, anywho no offence was intended by me.

I read the above like he does not want to supply directly to customers really (like most suppliers) and would rather you went thru one of there distributers...

Yeah possibly the old price a job to high when you dont really want it, shame really as like Garlic bread i reckon these are the future!!

I really like the idea of the Rotrex but when I saw the normal list price, I went right off it!

The engineering is really nice and the fluid drive works very well and is quiet and efficient but it seems that once again the UK is seen as a place that you can charge much more than anywhere else and get away with it.

Result... another sale lost!

Anyway, how is it going Ben?

Hi All

Right Project Rotrex update - as requested.

noAfter my headgasket blowing on the dyno at stealth, I have now had a C2 Motorsports SS Spacer gasket fitted along with the ARP head studs.

C also passed the MOT now with new wishbones and a few minor bits and bobs.

New remap is due on the 16th (this thursday), so charger and Mocal kit going on tomorrow.

I have got it down to about a 1hr install on the charger now!, Mocal is gonna take way longer i would imagine.

Prob more updates tomorrow (temps etc with oil cooler) and then the hard figures on thursday evening all being well!

Quality glad to hear your making some good headway (no pun intened)

Mocal aint so bad to fit mate if you need any help drop me a line.

1 hr charger install... blimey thats quick, the old adage of practice makes perfect and best of luck on the rollers.

Right then

after much swearing, charger back is on.

Mocal turned out to be a right pain in the arse though.

The kit i have has the shorted hollow bolt / pipe that only allows for the sandwich plate not the heat exchanger.

This is all fine and the blanking plate unbolted really easily, however it seems to be one piece with the existing hollow bolt.

After reading other threads I know people have mentioned that there are 2 types of blanking plate, and the one I have is one piece and the blanking plate cannot be unbolted from the hollow pipe.

a) is this true, or is it just attached really tightly and can be seperated in a vice with a breaker bar

b) if not does anyone have the other type of blanking plate for sale that I can use with the kit I have.

Also I have a small oil leak now after I put it back together :-( put some silicone sealant on the heat exchanger, but will see if this solves the problem for the time being.

Yes it is true as I have a one peice one. You should have got a new end cap in the kit and I wouldn't delete the heat exchanger if I were you either....

Ok guys, update day and probably not what you were all expecting!

After visiting Vince on thursday, and a couple of hours on the dyno and much deliberation, I have decided not to continue with Project Rotrex.

The charger is putting out too much power for my engine (in its current state) and Vince thinks the valve timing is out as it it is starting to pink quite badly (and there is still plenty more power left in the charger). Ideally I would need a newer engine to handle the power, or go for a costly rebuild to ensure that I didn't blow it up. I am on 143k miles and the car is now 16 years old (being one of the first VR6 models)

I cannot put any more money into this at the time, so sadly I am going to sell up and put the car back to stock. The charger is easily making 15psi, so any potential buyer may wish to get a larger pulley to limit this unless they have a built / good condition engine.

I made some of the kit up myself (the intake mainly), but the rest of the bits are built for the purpose. The kit comprises of :

Rotrex C30-94 Charger

VR6 Mounting Bracket, including idler pulley and all fittings

Long serpentine belt for above (for models with A/C) a shorter belt should take care of people with no A/C

Traction fluid reservoir, filter, all piping and fittings.

8 x Bosch Red Top Fuel Injectors (required for this power level)

Silicone intake hose (50mm and 80mm) see pics in this thread for how it plumbs in.

Bailey DV24 Dump Valve

50mm T-Piece for dump valve

Vacuum Tubing (for connection to Inlet Manifold)

Coolingmist Water Injection system (pump, jet, hose, pressure switch, solenoid valve, wiring etc)

This set up is easily good for 300bhp+, R-Techs said it would be good for 400bhp with the right mods.

I am looking for around £2500 for the kit (£1000 less than Storm Developments). Any one interested would probably be advised to chat to Vince before deciding as he will advise any mods that may be required (to avoid disapointment!).

Drop me a p.m if you are interested, want more pics, want to come and see the kit. I can leave it on the car if anyone wants to see how it all fits together, but I need to take it off soon. It will go up on ebay if there isn't any interest.

Cheers Guys

Ben (mr_fusion)

It's a shame it's ended up like this.....

Must say I've enjoyed following your progress with this, and I'd like to say well done on the work you did carry out!