Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

The 'Running a Rotrex charger on a VR6' thread..

oh right.

So what boost are you running then?

Right then, on my trip down to sainsbury's I have confirmed at least 8psi boost (in 3rd gear, but this wasn't at full throttle)

Not bad for the standard pulley!

ChrisVR6NOS on the forum reckons he can get them for £21 each, which is approx half retail. Might be worth giving him a shout.

If not Vince can get them in for you, or you can try any Bosch certified garage.

8psi isn't bad at all! I bet it's nearer 12 at the redline..... I think Storm developments use a 16psi pulley and they guarantee a 350hp.....but you need to lower the compression with that much boost. Schimmel do some excellent spacer gaskets.

P.S When I've cleaned out the Supercharged VR6 thread, it would be nice to add your kit in there too. Install guide, pics etc etc. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

P.S When I've cleaned out the Supercharged VR6 thread, it would be nice to add your kit in there too. Install guide, pics etc etc. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Will do when I have a free minute!

Any idea what the bosch part number for the injector is.

I have seen 2 number so far:

Both red top, 30lb injectors?

Hi everyone. this my first post and I have a couple of questions. This Rotrex charger sounds amazing. I had a VF stage 2 charger but sold that on. But to be honest really missing that rush, and the chance of seeing most guys faces going from a smile to a rather girly scream! :shocked!: Girlfriend forced sale, since girlfriend has moved back to the UK what she doesn't know wont hurt her!! :lol:

Where can this kit be purchased? I have looked and found there is rather a limited supply of knowledge on this charger. I dont mind forking out the extra pennies to get it shipped over to Dubai.

I am fed up of being overtaken by Porsches. As someone once said the Corrado was VW's Ferrari and I believe it still is.

I would approach the guys in Denmark where I got the kit from.

R-TECHS

http://www.r-techs.dk

Søndergade 3

4000, Tune Roskilde

Phone: +45 30220220

Email: mailto:[email protected]

If you mention Ben from ebay who bought the C30-94 and VR6 bracket, I'm sure you may be able to get a deal.

The guy's name is Martin Holmström and he is a friendly chap.

p.s I wouldn't approach a UK distrbutor as they seem to be 2 times as expensive.

Yes I totaly agree, most parts for the Corrado I have bought from Ebay, America and Germany. But nothing really from the UK.

Cheers thanks a lot.

Can I ask how is your kit running now? Have you got it all set up and running perfectly? If so do you have any videos of it running. Would like to hear how loud it is. As living in Dubai, there is a limit as to how loud an engine and exhaust can be.

Thanks again.

Right, I have rearranged the intake order slightly.

The MAF is now upstream of the charger and the 80mm hose now runs up to the BOV.

It now runs quieter, but hasn't changed the wacky idle or kangarooing much.

Order is now:

(Filter) - (MAF) - (80mm elbow) - (Charger) - (50mm elbow) - (t-piece with BOV) - (50mm > 80mm reducer) - (80mm hose) - (TB)

It still pulls just as strong though.

I have emailed Vince to ask his opinion and I am sourcing a set of red top injectors.

I may try the stock chip later to see if it helps as I think its overfueling at idle and low revs (saw a big puff of black smoke yesterday when I started up. had been sat still since last week though so it may have been some sh*t in the exhaust).

mr_fusion, i saw back to the future 2 the other night, first thing I thought of was your C and the Rotrex :lol:

Storm developments have been playing around with a Rotrex based kit for a while now - http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/rece ... index.html

Well, they say it's a "kind of Rotrex" when I rang them, what ever that means! They're not giving much away.....but their drive in, drive out price is £3500 IIRC, includes charge cooler, CR reduction (spacer gasket) etc etc and theirs delivers 16psi and guarantee 350hp (IIRC).

That sounds like a very good price for guaranteed 350bhp don't you think? I guess it takes out some of the DIY 'fun' of it all but still...

It's a bold claim guaranteeing a certain output. So many differnt factors affect power and torque, but yeah it does seem good.

Right then...

Just got off the phone with Vincey Baby

Provisionally booked for the 25th sept for remap.

He hasn't seen a Rotrex yet either, so learning curve for all!

However, I now need to get the head gasket, chains and clutch done before then! - Nice

Can anyone recommend a place in London (N / E preferably) who will do the work?

Tried ringing a couple of places already, but had the same response - "no" as they consider it to be a monster of a job.

Any recommendations boys (and girls)?

p.s set of 8, 30lb red top injectors on their way - a steal at £82 inc shipping, off ebay (from New Jersey!)

ok

Still waiting for injectors (should be here in next couple of days)

Had a quote for head gasket (inluding skim if necessary as they can do it onsite), clutch and timing chains - about £750 (i need to chase up whether this includes valve work as well)

Does this sound a good price?

What have other people paid for similar work?

This is through a friendly garage in shropshire through a family connection.

Downside is, it will take 5 days, so I will more than likely take it up there the weekend before stealth and pick it up on the way back down to stealth the following monday.

If your gonna have the head off, would it not be worth considering fitting a head gasket spacer to drop the compression ratio a bit at the same time so you can use a smaller pulley?

Mine runs 12psi on the standard compression!

Ideally though, yes, it would be nice to lower the CR slightly - only to 9.5:1 or so - to take the edge off and then ramp up the advance to get the torque back. Even better would be intercooling and water injection etc etc but it all mounts up in cost and complexity.

Ok, injectors are in.

I had to rush a little as it was getting dark fast and accidently left the small metal clips off that clip on the injectors / fuel rail.

The fuel rail is pretty well bolted to the head and I can't see any leaks happening, so i hope it will be fine until i take everything off ready for the work in a few weeks.

Tried to fire her up, wouldn't turn over - then realised i had plugged plugs 4 and 2 the wrong way round on the dizzy cap.

Sorted that and she fired up briefly then died.

Took Kev's / Vince's advice and unplugged the MAF.

Low and behold, she fired up as normal. However the idle was now holding rock solid at 1300 rpm.

I must add at this point that I am still running the mapped chip from stealth (from the z-eng charger), so I unplugged the battery and swapped chips back to stock.

Fired her up again and YAY! now idles as normal.

On the downside I have noticed a very small oil leak behind the oil cooler area (but not from it), no dripping as such but there is evidence of a small amount of oil coming out. Do you think I have blown a seal of some kind (possibly not the oil cooler seal)?

It is pretty small but I will check in the morning that there isn't a puddle on the floor!.

OK mr_fusion was it a bad leak? waited almost a month now to see.

Only two days left till it gets a complete re-map as well. Cant wait to see the results as well as hear and see it running. Best of luck!

Holding back on purchasing my kit till I see if yours works perfectly and would love to see a video of it running or photos of the bay. If you do have any please email me on mailto:[email protected]

Would really like to see how this performs against a vortech. From what I have read so far it will blow it out of the water. Out of curiousity is this a daily runner for you?

Long time, no update..

Ok here is where I am at:

Car went in for work 2 weeks ago.

Head gasket, timing chains, clutch and valve work went well.

Went to pick the car up at the weekend and now it is overheating and water is boiling out of the expansion tank. Both rad hoses are getting hot (but building up LOTS of pressure) so thermostat seems good, water pump is about 1yr old so that should be ok so we have narrowed it down to a blocked rad.

They are also fiting 2 new oil pressure senders and the oil temp sensor as well as a new rotor arm as well as 12 new hydraulic lifters.

So, had to change my remap date with Vince to the 16th october and will pick the car up 140miles away this weekend coming (if its all running fine again that is)!

Been with out the C for 2 weeks now and its pretty painful. Its not a daily driver, more my weekend car / project so I can live without it, but would be nice to get her back again.

I will keep you all posted when I am back on the road...

Cheers Guys