Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

The 'Running a Rotrex charger on a VR6' thread..

My Rotrex C30-94 charger + vr6 bracket will be here in the next few days..

Just wondering if anyone else is running one on a VR.

I know people have swapped out G-Laders for Rotrex chargers.. but a search reveals little when it comes to a Vr6 (even if you google for it).

I will post my progress on the install when it arrives.. it somehow fits where a normal centrifugal charger would go (vortech, z-eng etc) but rotates clockwise at the pulley end so there must be some funky gearing on the bracket.

Wow, this sounds very interesting. Where did you pick the beastie up?

I assume your expecting good things from it then, if your already running a ZR-1 and changing for this!!

Have you spoken to Vince about this and will he map it for you?

My ZR charger met a horrific death as the main shaft snapped.

Its currently being rebuilt, but will be going back on ebay early next week.

The rotrex charger is coming direct from denmark. http://www.r-techs.dk/

Brand new Charger + bracket + belt + shipping came to a shade over £900 and is claimed to be good for 400bhp.

I need to see what kind of boost its running once fitted to see if I will need another remap straight away (car has already been to see vince when I have the ZR1 fitted) and I may have to wait a month or so before I can afford another £300+ to see Vince again!

Lots of good info in PDF format at http://www.rotrex.com/

Here is a photo that Martin at R-Techs sent of a running VR6 with rotrex fitted..

HPIM0060d.JPG

Ah yes i remember now, that was some rubbish luck bud, was really sorry for you when i read that. Especially as you;d literally just had her all mapped up. Sods law. Lets hope you get a good price for the Z and some good map figures for the new puppy.

jeeezous, thats well cheap for any kind of new charger isnt it??!!

any idea on the likely boost ??

and thats 2000 posts for me, one for every £3.00 ive spent on my stupid car since i signed up :-( (and still no charger) grrrrr.

I got it cheap as the charger itself was on ebay.

Turned out the guy selling it works for a preferred supplier for Rotrex and sold me the bracket and belt at the end of the auction.

Charger itself cost $1150 which is a steal at £617 including oil cooler, filter pipes, traction fluid etc

Only other place I have seen them they retail at £1500 for the same setup.

I just need to spec up the intake hoses (50mm outlet on the charger so needs stepping up to 80mm) and they also recommend a dump valve.

I am also quite impressed that they use 2 of these on the koenigsegg CCX! Must be good!

yeah thats certainly no bad add for the charger is it!

Quite jelous and very interested to see what she runs then. Be nice to see some picks of the snail when she turns up :-)

p.s If i do have to take it to Vince, I have no doubt he can handle it.

I was a big surprise to me that I had the first distributor VR6 he had mapped with a charger! all the others had been coilpack so he had to start from scratch with my original chip!

Vince will definately be able to map it without problem i'm sure. Be interesting to see what he makes of it, although he may well of done one before.

I'm going to go for a Vortech because im a girl and i l know he has those down to a fine art now and the work very well.

Nice to see you trying something less common. Also be cool to see if its quiet/noisey etc, assuming its not a ribbed belt?

that charger looks pretty compact mr_fusion, looking forward to your assessment on it`s performance etc , are you going to fit an intercooler to compliment the charger ? :thumbleft:

Storm developments have been playing around with a Rotrex based kit for a while now - http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/rece ... index.html

Well, they say it's a "kind of Rotrex" when I rang them, what ever that means! They're not giving much away.....but their drive in, drive out price is £3500 IIRC, includes charge cooler, CR reduction (spacer gasket) etc etc and theirs delivers 16psi and guarantee 350hp (IIRC).

You'll definitely have to let us know what it's like as it's a neat little charger and what I like best about it is it uses the factory belt tensioner, so no fecking about guessing belt tension and no slip like you get with the Vortechs.

that charger looks pretty compact mr_fusion, looking forward to your assessment on it`s performance etc , are you going to fit an intercooler to compliment the charger ? :thumbleft:

I have a water injection system already, so I will be using that to start with.

All being well my package should be here tomorrow.

The PDF installatin guide on the rotrex site shows the MAF being placed upstream of the charger.

Kev, Do you reckon it will do any harm to have it downstream in the usual configuration? I had a few idling problems with the Z charger and that may have been down to the MAF or some small vacuum leak?

I am already venting the crank case breather to atmosphere via a long hose and a breather filter. Engine seems to be running better with this configuration (as well as having nice clean pipes and butterfly).

I think I will need to have some head work done soon as vince seemed to think the head gasket was on its last legs (chains will be done at the same time if i do)

Also really need some bodywork doing as well. drivers side rear wheel arch is rusted again and passenger front wing is dented to feck (might pull this out myself though)...

ahh the list goes on.....

I can't remember why Vortechs run the MAFs upstream, probably to stop the charger blowing hot air over it at pressure. Vince maps them without a MAF anyway, to get round all the MAF related issues!

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense to suck cool air over the MAF rather than blow hot the chargers hot load all over it :wink:

Thing is, the ECU can only deal with 5V maximum from the MAF and I found that even with the MAF upstream, it was quite easy to exceed 5V and the ECU very kindly shuts the injectors down as it panics and thinks THAT much air registered by the MAF, against a relatively low fuel input, is a major disaster in the making! Imagine how quickly the MAF would go out of range if it was downstream? Although I really don't understand how they get them to run well like that, must be a black art, or low psi? I know the Zed kits can run downstream as the psi is low as standard (6 I think?) and they get away with it.......still prefer to have it upstream though.......

Right then...

Parcel has turned up 140 miles away in Shropshire!.......

Turns out the guy sent it to my parents address for some reason......

So I will be heading up there from London at the weekend... so no updates till then I'm afraid

Yeah, really keen on seeing this baby :-) In fact, let me know when you get it mapped at Stealth and I'll come up and have a chat about it with you and Vince ;-)

............ if i end up having to sell my charger then i may well be interested in fitting something like this a bit later in the year , keep us posted mate :thumbleft:

Lets hope it does what it says on the tin then!!

While i'm waiting lets turn to the bodywork.....

The C looks like poo at the moment need doing pronto.

Namely :

drivers rear wheel arch (rusty, poo respray by moi that i deeply regret attempting now)

passenger front wing - dented to feck

dent in bonnet (where i tried to shut the bonnet without lowering the support first and it slipped and almost punched a hole right through it!)

However it does add to that street sleeper look :) ... (or should i say s**te sleeper)

Anyone used Acton Coachworks in West London before or can recommend anywhere near me (london town)?

Cheers for clarifying that..... they wouldn't tell me the brand of charger when I rang them. I asked if it was a Rotrex (as it looks supiciously like one) and he said "sort of", LOL!

they had a few VR^'s at GTI International with them on, got loads of pics, will psot em up.

He had one on his mk2 R32 at Bug Jam, cracked the head where it was mounted! (weak point on the 24v)