Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Door handle broken- what do I replace?

My handle broke last night- something (the pin?) went when I tried to open it. It's still intact and looks OK, and still opens from the inside.

Do I need to replace the whole thing :? , or can I just replace the inside parts?

Cheers

You will need to replace the whole handle - about £50 from EuroCarParts IIRC.

It's usually the release pin that snaps off.

http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=169 This might be worth thinking about tho.

Could really be a niche market selling replacement pins for broken door handles on C's - seems like someone is posting about this problem on a forum every other week.

Just checked out Euro Car Parts and they have a 'lock pin' available for £3.00. Couldn't I just change this?

Andy is it the outer door handle thats broken? Youve got 2 options if it is you can pay up the £65 that euro car parts charge for a new corrado handle or get a passat rear handle and mechanism I went for the passat arrangement for mine as the cost of a new passat handle from the stealers is a third of the price of a genuine corrado handle and also the passat rear handles are delocked for extra security (Remote central locking needed) in total to change both handles and mechanisms it cost me the price of an original corrado handle and if in the future the handles do break again it's only going to cost £20 to replace them. The choice is yours You cant just replace the arm that breaks on the door handles unfortunately otherwise that would have been an option.

Andy - don't think tha the lock pin for £3 is the part needed.

The release pin I was talking about is all part of the handle mechanism and becasue it is cast it obviously gets brittle over time and breaks off. Too fiddly to try and re-attach so it's easier to either buy a new handle or go for the de-locked passat handle route.

andyg60, Dunno if this would work.But the other day I was looking around a Seat Toledo "P" reg and the door handles look remarkably similar to the Corrado,Passat.The rear ones have no locks as well.It might be worth trying around a few scrappies for a seat Toledo and trying it out.(There must be more Seats in scrappies than Corrados) :lol:

Just a thought. :idea:

Don`t ask why I was looking at a Toledo in the first place. :oops:

Phone the number below if you want passat handle mechanisms or anything Veedub related as they are the daddies for Vw spares!!! 0115 979 1121

Cheers for the advice everyone!

Corradog60s, thanks for the number- mechanisms are on the way for about £30. Ordered 2 new handles from VW for £40 (less vw parts club discount- should be 10%).

Is it pretty much a straight swap? Do I just take off the old mechanism and bolt on the Passat one? Any fabrication required? I'm fine taking the door cards off, but will be a bit lost after that! :oops: Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers