Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Soaking wet REAR left carpet but all others bone dry.

A week or so ago in Glasgow we had literally monsoon rain one night after weeks and weeks of dry weather. When I went into the car a few days after this, there was literally an inch of water in the REAR passenger side footwell, but the front passenger, front driver and rear driver's side were bone dry.

I was parked facing up a hill when it was raining.

I experimented the other night with a watering can but I just can't see where it's coming in.

I checked the sun roof and the water is draining away fine but I did wonder if the channel at the rear was a bit dirty, so I cleaned it up as best I could with the limited access. I have noticed in the past a slight dampness (which may just be general condensation) in the sunroof area (interior), but there was no evidence of this this time.

I understand that a probable culprit is the membrane behind the door cards, so I'll check that next, but is there any chance of either of the following being at fault?

1 The rear side window seal.

2 The plastic/rubber strips on the roof where the roof rack would sit.

I could see no evidence of water channels anywhere, not even on the leather seats, although I suppose it possibly wouldn't show up too well on leather.

I am slightly suspicious of the sun roof. Is there any maintenance I can do there to help out? The drain holes are draining very quickly, so I doubt that's the issue. Can anything else be at fault here? Are there just drain holes at the front of the sun roof or are there rear ones as well? I couldn't see too well as the light was getting poor.

Thanks.

I've just found another thread that talks about 4 sunroof drain holes. I only found the ones at front so I'll check the rear ones tonight...

Ive got the same problem in my G60 im still to find the source. I also got wet carpets in the front that was the drain holes in the scuttle tray that were blocked...

the rubbers, and the plastic cover at the base of the windscreen are not designed to take large quantities of water, so water flows over the top into the air ducts, wet passanger footwell ( design fault)

i used a piece of brass/copper shim and made a channel which pushed over the metal rail where the rubbers grip and flow the water down towards the drain holes, testing with large amounts of water, i

no longer have i wet feet

leemeg99

yep agree with leemeg99

where you also parked nearside to the kerb? road camber directs all the rainwater to the passenger side, drain hole cant cope,water flows into passenger footwell.

you said you parked facing uphill so gravity did the rest

cheap fix 8)

So the front would be dry as a bone with no staining and the rear would be soaked? mate.

That would take a bit more figuring out would it not?

:)

It's likely to be the classic air intake seal in the scuttle panel on the passenger side. My car used to do the exact same thing when I first got it. 10 minutes and some silicon sealer later and it's been fine for three years.

hi all just to keep this on topic my boot carpet was slightly damp for a while and havent really noticed it since when the carpet was wet thou I checked all round for any holes/leaks and couldnt find any?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks Andy

on my mk3 golf with having aftermarket rear clusters they didn't seal as well as oem so leaked water into my boot........ maybe the same on the rado,,,, i just put sealant around the foam gasket and it worked a treat :)

the lights were in pro......

T.T.T. i have exactly the same problem as aclwalker. Soaking wet left rear carpet but bone dry elsewhere any luck on finding the source!!?

I have recently discovered that leaving a bottle of water behind the passenger seat without it's top properly fastened tends to make the carpet rather wet...

But more commonly, I'd guess it's gotta be some part of the sunroof. As to which bit exactly, I've no idea

The roof has drain gutters that run down to the rear wheel arches, iirc (all this is "inside" the roof).

so its not sunroof then!!!???

any more ides anyone

cheers

edd

Back again!!!...so is it possible to find these drainage channels at the sunroof end with a knackered sunroof i.e. it won't slide open (only tilt) like every other corrado ive owned!!! Cos if not i'm fecked!!

Edd

Dunno mate, I've not looked at them (I'm sure you'd have to remove the roof lining though).

I just know they exist ..

the two rear sunroof drain tubes come out behind the rear bumper at the sides, make sure there isnt mud packed around the tubes and if you have a compressor even a small one with an air bed attachment, try connecting that to the bottom of the drain tube and give them a blast, that should clear out any crud thats in the tubes, and the same with the front tubes.

You can try and open the roof manually either with a screwdriver or allen key depending on age - just watch it drops down or it will scratch (if the mech is the reason it won't slide)

Back again!!!...so is it possible to find these drainage channels at the sunroof end with a knackered sunroof i.e. it won't slide open (only tilt) like every other corrado ive owned!!! Cos if not i'm fecked!!

Edd

edd, have you had any luck with sorting this out?

i have exactly the same problem with wet carpets/sunroof.

being a bit of a spaz with fixing cars, i'm finding it difficult to understand everything else that i should be checking, but i'll have a little look round now...

Hi, have you checked the bottom of the door cards? were they wet?

I had a problem with a previous car where the membrane had come away from the door and water was getting that way - took me ages to find it!

Did you get this sorted in the end? Just discovered today I have exactly the same problem - rear passenger footwell was swimming, front footwells were bone dry.