Sign in to follow this  
capnahab

Oh look another Heater matrix question??

Hi all. I've noticed im losing a small amount of coolant. Started about 2 weeks ago. Anyway I tried my heater on full blast earlier.. and I got steam coming out of my heater vents.. I take it im going ot GSF and asking the nice man for a Matrix? Its not going to be anything else is it??

if its matrix which it sounds like then £35 ish for a new one is all you need plus bottle of G12.

takes about 3hrs ish to change depending on how many you've done before i suppose.

dont have to take the dash out either just lower trim both sides.

have fun as its a bugger of a job i've done it 4 times and hated it every single time :D

Well I picked up my rad part from GSF earlier. The part number for the corrado is 17832B for anyone interested. I'll take some pics of the job so they can be added to the Wiki.

Well I picked up my rad part from GSF earlier. The part number for the corrado is 17832B for anyone interested. I'll take some pics of the job so they can be added to the Wiki.

Good idea mate. When I turn on my heating I get a funny smell and the front windows tend to steam up a bit. Losing a wee bit of coolant too. :cry:

T.

thats exactly what ive got mate. No water in footwells, and only loosing a small amount of coolant. I noticed a strange 'warm watery' smell when I started my fan blowing, and sure enough it started to steam my windows up. I'll bravely take my car apart tonight or tomorrow and get the pics up for my intrepid followers :D

Yes, I get that warm watery smell too. Bloody cars. Its been great for ages and now it has let me down again. Least it hasn't gone pop. Just did 2000 miles round europe.

T.

HIJACK,

How much coolant is required, Tackling my matrix this weekend, just need to know how much G12 is required for a compete refill.

Well if 3 litres is 30%, the capacity is probably 10 litres and it tells you on the G12+ bottle the mixture you should be using for what temp range :lol:

Makes sense Dink, I was mostly still drunk when I posted that and elementry mathematics was well out of my league.

Double-6s, Im opting for the easiest route possible. Paying someone else to do it. :) Cant afford the car off the road any longer than nesessary.

How much are you paing mate? I was quoted 300. Sound reasonable? I don't really want to try it myself either - muppet with spanners you see :)

Well, I helped my mechanic guy today as I had nowt else to do, we started at half 9 and were finished by 4, was a sod of a fiddly job but it is done now and works, and gave a chance to clear out all the gunk and rubish in the system. the hardest part was lining up the heaterbox back in place again and making sure the heater controls were routed the right way. I still have no directional control as the cogs are all out of place for that one but everything else works. If you knew what you were doing then it is a 3 or 4 hour job but we had much tea and had to redoo a couple of bits.

I thought 130 quid was a bloody good price for the use of someone elses garage, tools and expertese for the day but I doubt he will want to do another one in the near future.

Ah good stuff Zip, glad you got it sorted.

I really want to get Climatronic AC in mine and I know the heater matrix is going to need doing sooner or later, so are thinking of doing them both at the same time...

That'll be even more of a rectal insertion to do though :lol:

Hey guys,

Looking of doing mine soon. Not that excited now I know its a pain of a job!

I realised mine had gone when steaming hot water started dripping out of the dash and into the footwells (primarily drivers side). Am I right in thinking that its only the matrix that needs doing?

Many thanks

Fred.

I took my camera but completly forgot to take any pics.

In all honesty it is not that dificult a job. Just unscrew everything that gets in your way, pull out the air ducts and unscrew the heaterbok from throught th bulkhead.

If you are planning to do it then a good dose of GT85 /WD40 a few days in advance on the 3 long thin bolts poking through the bulkhead might make things easier. Mine was a molegrip job.