Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

<Duck> Anyone use coloured polish?

Would like to try and get rid of the acres of baby chips on the front of my C and was wondering if coloured polish may cover these plus the usual minor scratches on a 100K+ motor....?

It's Pearl grey.... Did use Halfrauds stuff on the Skyrocket and it evened out the various shades of orange (Mars red1) :Fade-color

Was thinking about the base black, as the greys look too light and IIRC when I valeted Mater's Megan a few years ago the chips came up dark grey....

Can't hurt though....can it?

Guess I may wait for Jedi's 2p as well! :D

The previous owner of my motor used it and it doesnt work on pearls.

When i first got it didnt look like what it should because the coloured polish hides the tint of the paint.

Id touch it up or get your bonnet painted if i were you.

I used the dark green on my classic green.

Have given that up now.

The stuff is awful - it stains the vinyl bits if you just touch them (As do white chalky polishes, too) and you have to go round the car carefully removing it.

Messes up your favourite cloths and your hands - takes gallons of water to wash the cloths.

yeah that's why I had special polishing clothes! :lol:

I'm using (as I have always on other cars and teh 'rocco when the colour evened out) autoglym red but that just seems to leave white everywhere that's chipped. Any suggestions for a non-white polish?

vwdeviant wrote

yeah that's why I had special polishing clothes!

Sure, me too, but you have to wash them sometime otherwise the paintwork can get a bit smeary.

Anyway, I have now found that the clear, watery Turtle Wax Extreme range of polishes are ideal if you do not want white powder everywhere.

Have used 2 of them.

I am suspicious of using them every time, though, so revert to the thicker, messier types from time to time.

OK Pooled some ideas and went for Megs stage 1&2 followed by gold wax, used autoglym Bumper gel.... and here's the results!

before

100_0268.jpg

after

100_0271.jpg

Whilst is a little better than using Autoglym red in terms of shine, the white chips have mostly gone, it looks about 40K less than the 100K it's done!

So far only done the front end & wings as it took me about 2hrs! Will do the rest of the car the next dry weekend we get. Will also be a good test to see how it holds up against the rest.....

Coloured polishes are horrible fecking things, they leave the paint hazy and prevent a real deep shine. They may make it look superfically acceptable at the time, but when you start using real waxes and not crap polishes you will wonder why you thought the shine was good :lol:

If you can afford it I would get the bonnet painted, especially seeing as you could have that dent sorted at the same time.

That said it looks a lot better in the after pictures 8)

Yeah was quoted £350 to do bonnet, Front bumper and rear corner where some fekker hit and run me (didn't damage the bumper just tore up/ crzed the paint.

Problem is I have better things to spend the cash on at the moment... Plus just getting a panel or two done will show up the rest of the original 14yr old paint.....

Update, after standing for a couple of weeks with minimal use, I noticed the damn stonechips have come back white again! :mad:

Any recommendations to try and keep them down?

Jedi et al... What do you do on a chipped car??

Thats the problem with these types of polish as far as stone chips :(

At the end of the day its not paint,so its never going to last too long.It will help if you use a good carnauba wax after polishing it a few times but even then its not ideal.

Best bet is to either have the area's painted or to spend some time touching them up and then either using a rubbing coumpound or wet sanding/polishing/waxing.

Neil. :)

I used the green TurtleWax chipstick on stuff on the front of the Tiv, where some peoplecarier had grazed the bonnet . It was great at filling the white scratches in and then i gave the area a coat of the wax too.

Been a month now and it still looks loads better than the white grazing. Not an identical colour match, but the Tiv's paint is flat, not metalic or pearl.

I am sure there are better ways, but as a cheap and chearfull method - it looks ok.