Sign in to follow this  
Foggystorm

what should i do to my rado

I am looking at making my rado a bit quicker but dont want to mess up its driveability as it is my daily car (although I do less than 3k miles per year in it). I would also like to get my gearbox rebuilt at the same time. I have a budget of about £3k. The car has also got to meet EU tests as I am in the army and may be posted to Germany next year, any suggestions?

Get the handling sorted, go for new suspension and an ARB.

To go faster in a straight line, a supercharger seems to be the current flavour.

would like 250 - 300 bhp ideally

I certainly wouldn't consider doing that without sorting the suspension, and possibly the brakes too!

From what i've heard people saying, you cant beat the noise from a 'charged VR!! As Nike say "just do it"!!

If you're happy with your suspension i'd got for a new ARB, big brakes & charger. :)

If you get one of the sub 2k seccond hand chargers (like this one) then you should be able to get brakes & ARB sorted for the other 1k.

indeed the sound of a charged vr is fab :) deffo need the suspension done though. i changed my brakes from standard to ebc reds and zimmerman crossed drilled disks. They need warming up apparently to work to their best but they are good cold so ive found also.

if you do go down the charged route?? the first thing you will need are some good brakes mate, i find my TT set up to be great, not the best, but for about £200 fitted a very good and cheap upgrade. and there will be a few charged vr's going to the stealth rolling road day,

I decided on one of the two following options:

1.) completley stripped and rebuilt engine, bored out to 3.0, lightened flyweel and cams, new exhaust manifold, new jetex exhaust, new clutch, samco hoses, polished inlet manifold, uprated brakes, powerflew bushes, gas flowed head, bigger valves - works out at 240bhp and 220lbs torque

2.) standard 24v engine from an R32 fitted

option 1 is £3500 option 2 is £4500

what do you reacon?

the capacity increase is just part of the whole package he does, it is done by the company that do the engines for the VR6's on the volkswagen cup circuit, and the guy said it was the best way to get a bit more oomph but keeping the driveability and reliability. It also seems the cheapest way to get close to 250 bhp and a torque boost but keep the reliability. He also gives a 12 month guarantee on the engine and all the work

http://www.vw-cup.co.uk/cars.htm

this is the guy doing the work

http://www.grantmotorsport.com

or as said above, put a supercharger on it, still have the drivability of a standard vr and have more oomph when you want it!! plus you just take it off when you come to sell the car!! got to be less than £3500 for a top spec job and more power!!

if I add a turbo or supercharger then I run it on my engine as it is at the moment and it may end up killing the motor. If I go the NA way, then I end up with an "as new" engine with new seals and warranty and an engine that is good for another 100k miles, and I also end up with a performance boost at the same time

N/A mate. I reckon that would be a very nice engine. The big valve head alone is worth a grand!

N/A is the way forward - ignore all these snail lovers :)

Would you be happy with only 240bhp that an NA engine would give you which in itself sounds like an optimistic number?

By boosting your current motor does not mean its life will become shorter if the engine is setup and tuned properly.

If I was to do it I would run a spacer on the engine and fit a turbo in there and with around 1 bar boost you will have a very quick and efficient engine that will hand most cars on the street.

Then later on once you had your fun and want more build your block and turn the boost to the sky 8)

Would you be happy with only 240bhp that an NA engine would give you which in itself sounds like an optimistic number?

By boosting your current motor does not mean its life will become shorter if the engine is setup and tuned properly.

If I was to do it I would run a spacer on the engine and fit a turbo in there and with around 1 bar boost you will have a very quick and efficient engine that will hand most cars on the street.

Then later on once you had your fun and want more build your block and turn the boost to the sky 8)

Not everyone just wants max power figures mate - a N/A engine is a totally different beast to a blown one. Some people prefer it.

Just a quick note about your possible posting to Germany....

If you have to register the car in Germany then it has to go through a TÜV.... from what I've been told since coming here changing the engine for a new one (i.e. R32) or charging an existing engine will mean a complete re-check and can cost a fair bit (not sure on exact numbers though) Just getting non TÜV wheels checked on your car can cost €200 so imagine an engine....

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works

not sure whether I have to go through all of that as I am taking the car to BFG (British Forces Germany) so not 100% sure exactly what the vehicle gets tested for, I will try and find out at work tomorrow

The R32 route is something im toying with aswell.

The schrick, supercharger etc does seem to be the prefered method of a power hike.

Agony of choice!!