Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

Urgent help needed

Right, i need some urgent and fast help. I start work at 6pm, its a 15 min drive so ive about 45 mins to get this sorted.

I bought a 1.8 16v last Wednesday. She drove home fine, she then started stuttering at 6K revs and smoked a little out the back. Last night on the way to work when i hit 4K revs the rev needle would drop and the engine would stutter.

This morning, coming home the car drove fine. No spluttering at all at 4K and none at 6k. Went to see a friend at my old work and on the way the car started spluttering at really low revs. Kind of like it was running low on petrol although the needle said a 1/4 of a tank was left. It got me home and seemed to splutter whenever i turned right. Got up at 4pm and the g/fs golf has broken down in Telford so she is waiting for the AA.

Went and put petrol in mine and it was spluttering up to and away from the garage. I turned left into my road, the engine died making steering and braking hard. Managed to role up to my house.

Handbrake on, bonnet open and started the car. It was sitting there running and i had a look under the engine. I found the following:

Corrado1.816vred013-large.jpg

the hose is totally bent in two, i dont know what it does can anyone tell me. Anyway, i touched the bent pipe and it moved slightly to the left and the engine just cut straight out. I cant start it at all, electrics are working but it doesnt even turn over.

also coming from the bent pipe is a small hose that doesnt go anywhere, just a dead end.

Corrado1.816vred014-large.jpg

any ideas??

im really desperate! :(

That hose is for the heater, which looks like your matrix is by-passed.

Check the hoses from the airbox to the throttle body for any splits ect,if it has no signs of an air leak,start looking at fuel ,ignition issues.

well it looks like im going to be late for work!

All the hoses are secure, cant find any leaks and tbh i really dont know where to even start with the fuel and ignition systems!

and to top it all, i was going to wait until the missus came back in the AA van and quickly ask him to have a look at it! But her golf is being taken to Shrewsbury VW garage as the ECU and some temp thing has gone! The bloody AA are leaving them there to find their own way back!

What a bloody day!

Ive been told to pull as injector and start the engine over to see if it squirts. Is it really advisable to do this? last thing you want is petrol squirting everywhere?

UPDATE:

Well, ive been using my mums Prelude for ages now as she wants it sold so im advertising it for her and doing a little to the body work.

The rados has been in storage until today when i pushed her out onto the drive.

All the research i did pointed at the fuel filter, which is what ive just spent 2 hours replacing.

Still no joy.

Turn immobiliser off, insert key and prime the system.

I can hear the fuel pump priming, and what also sounds like the injectors spurting a little fuel into the cylinders. Ive removed 1 injector (the others are to hard to pull out) and primed it and you do see a little puff of fuel come out.

If you try and start it it just turns over but there is no ignition, doesnt even try to ignite.

Any other specific things to check?

PS: Whats the best oil to top up with?

oil in the distributor cap?? (the seals go causing loss of power and stuttering)

have you checked the pipes going into the back of the airbox are not loose or perished??? ( assuming its standard)

check conections to the coil and plug leads are secure??

or try another fuel pump...

i use quantum 10w 40 from German and swedish its vw standard oil

UPDATE:Still no joy.

If you try and start it it just turns over but there is no ignition, doesnt even try to ignite.

Any other specific things to check?

PS: Whats the best oil to top up with?

Hi

Check that you have a spark.

If you have, then put new plugs and off you go.

Okay : (apologies if I'm preaching to the converted, and I don't know Corrado Specifics)

To check for a spark :

Remove spark plug, insert in HT lead, and hold against earthed part of engine (head should do as a rule), and look for spark.

If no spark, try same thing with the lead from Coil-Distributor.

If still no spark, check earths and connections around Coil.

If still no spark, check relays and fuses, and any earthing to the bodywork.

If *still* no spark, take it to an auto-electrician, but as a rule, things don't just *stop* working. Trace anything you've touched in the past twelve months, all this cold weather won't be helping.

Cars tend to get cracked rotors/dizzy caps with all this frost, I've had a car display identical symptoms with a shagged rotor arm.

Sounds identical to mine, check the lead between the battery and the starter. mine was badly corroded and loose and caused the exact same running troubles you describe. The KR is notorious for needing a good spark.

Also check ya earth leads as well.