Sign in to follow this  
K-rado

New schrick manifold 8) and charger

Knowing you like your torque swells in daily useable rev bands Mat, I think a low pressure (or Stage 1) turbo would be better suited to you ;-)

How much did Stealth charge for doing the whole deal on the charger, if you don't mind me asking?

The concept of fitting it myself is lunacy, but if somewhere with Stealth's reputation offered a fitting service it becomes more reasonable ..

Vince charged £380 to fit the charger,£350 for Remap.

Had a look on the web site 2day, looks cool.

Been up to my eyes in it at work so did not have a chance to make contact.

380 for the charger sounds ok-ish. was the 350 for remap of oem chip or is there one supplied with the charger chip.

Whats the score with the water injection? anybody

Knowing you like your torque swells in daily useable rev bands Mat, I think a low pressure (or Stage 1) turbo would be better suited to you ;-)

sounds like he needs a diesel :lol:

Had a look on the web site 2day, looks cool.

Been up to my eyes in it at work so did not have a chance to make contact.

380 for the charger sounds ok-ish. was the 350 for remap of oem chip or is there one supplied with the charger chip.

Whats the score with the water injection? anybody

Its a custom Remap, its got to be, because every car different. depends on what mods you got, cams, water injection,etc.

Its best to run a intercooler or water injectoin to keep intake temperature down and stop detonation.

i think £380 for fitting is reasonable, not cheap though. i would say if your compatent with a set of spanners/sockets etc etc, you can do it easily in a weekend, and if ya get stuck?? we here will always help. and the £350 is for a custom re-map :)

i think £380 for fitting is reasonable, not cheap though. i would say if your compatent with a set of spanners/sockets etc etc, you can do it easily in a weekend, and if ya get stuck?? we here will always help. and the £350 is for a custom re-map :)

Its not a bad job, i was been lazy.and Did'nt want to go all the way to stealth with it running like a bag of crap.

Cheers Blue, All I need to do now if find myself a charger :D

Dave ordered one and then cancelled a few days after, maybe give the crowd he ordered off a buzz just incase it has landed anyway!

My VF with the Schrick. It made a huge difference from 3 to 4k...above 4k...the charger takes over.

Corrado_077.sized.jpg

Did 272bhp/230tq on Neuspeed's Clayton dyno.

I've put over 40k on the kit and have had no issues.

The VF kit is a straight bolt on and comes with everything you need, including software to safely run the kit. The stage 3 10psi kit is when you'll need the extra fueling and the intercooler.

VF did the install and I was charged 500usd.

The VF kit is a straight bolt on and comes with everything you need, including software to safely run the kit.

I disagree with that. How can a 7160rpm rev limit and too much advance in the GIAC software be safe? Standard cams aren't even making power past 6800!! It's a totally pointless rev limit to set. Just set to get the hp numbers to sell the kits.

We don't use GIAC anymore cause it's pants. All UK supplied kits now come without software.

As for 'bolt on'.... the idler bracket needs modifying, the drop tube hits the inner wing, there are no MAF clamp instructions, no guidelines of proper belt tension and the supplied instructions are a joke.

Sorry, but there's no such thing as 'bolt on' when it comes to forced induction VRs. Air filters and exhausts are 'bolt on'. Charging is a lot more involved!

Cheers Blue, All I need to do now if find myself a charger :D

Dave ordered one and then cancelled a few days after, maybe give the crowd he ordered off a buzz just incase it has landed anyway!

He kept that quiet :lol: not sure he knows what he is doing. selling that peach of a VR and getting another MK1? Mad, and think he will regret it. I have sent him a PM on VAGdrivers.

Cheers Blue :D

Cheers Kev, sound like it could be money well spemt at Stealth :D

Yeah, if you're not confident overcoming the small issues, might be better to get stealth to do it, or a forum member that's done one before.

The VF kit is a straight bolt on and comes with everything you need, including software to safely run the kit.

I disagree with that. How can a 7160rpm rev limit and too much advance in the GIAC software be safe? Standard cams aren't even making power past 6800!! It's a totally pointless rev limit to set. Just set to get the hp numbers to sell the kits.

We don't use GIAC anymore cause it's pants. All UK supplied kits now come without software.

As for 'bolt on'.... the idler bracket needs modifying, the drop tube hits the inner wing, there are no MAF clamp instructions, no guidelines of proper belt tension and the supplied instructions are a joke.

I'm not sure whats up with the UK cars, but I've been running my car on the GIAC software with no issues. Like I said...I have over 40k on my kit on the GIAC software with no running issues. Car pulls strong once the boost hits. My fuel economy is rather good too. If I do nothing but highway driving...I'll get about 350-375 to the tank.

If you look at any chip tuner that makes a chip for the VR6...the redline will be raised to 7k. As for the timing advance...it can't be too much, because, all we get here in California is 91 octance which is piss poor.

I know two other local Corrado owners and we have not had issues with the tube hitting the inner fenders. I did have to widen the hole that the tube goes down though. The only issue I had with my VF kit, was the pulley alignment...I had to space the bracket out to line it up correctly.

So I don't know what the issue is with the cars over the pond...pretty much out here the cars run with the program the VF kit comes with.

The stage 3+ R32's are doing over 420 to the front wheels with the supplied GIAC software. Their technician can do the complete install in about four hours. They did one one live at a R32 meet.

As for the idler pulley I have no experience with them...they are sold with the stage 3 kits...which is not available for the Corrados.

Cali 91 Octane does not compare to UK 98 Octane. There's a lot of complicated reasons why the US octane rating is FAR more rigorous than the EU Octane rating. You can't compare the two.

Secondly, the UK has 2.9 litre ABVs, the GIAC isn't setup for that (ok it's relatively subtle, but that 2% multiplied up by the air flow rates from a supercharger meants a bigger difference than you'd expect)..

But I know naathing.. :)

Anyway, just got back from Stealth for a remap on the VR. The previous map was being seriously held up by the dodgy MAF sensor, so it posted 199 lbft and 199.9 bhp in 2004. Now, with a properly working MAF, it's producing 208 lbft and 203.3 bhp ...!

And you *can* tell on the road, honestly .. !

US 93 Octane is equivalent to our 98 I believe.

2.9 swallows a bit more boost, so UK cars don't hit the 8psi quoted, usually around 6.5-7psi.

What you're feeling on the road is probably the engine running better and not holding back so much, rather than the whopping 9ft/lb increase :-)

Actually, what I'm feeling on the road is a much more driveable engine. Smoother, more responsive. It always felt a little coarse at high revs, now it's back to being turbine-smooth under power (or off power, come to that).

100 octane is available out here as "race" fuel. Its goes for 6usd vs the 2.70usd per gallon for the 91 oct.

California used to have 93, then 92...now 91.

About once a month I'll run the 100 octane...that shits more addicting than crack!! :drinking:

Actually, what I'm feeling on the road is a much more driveable engine. Smoother, more responsive. It always felt a little coarse at high revs, now it's back to being turbine-smooth under power (or off power, come to that).

Did it make much difference to throttle response mate? Mine's going for a proper map at stealth on thursday. Can't wait. I'm already addicted to the shrek torque from 2500-4000 revs - it just rocks. My kinda delivery.

100 octane is available out here as "race" fuel. Its goes for 6usd vs the 2.70usd per gallon for the 91 oct.

California used to have 93, then 92...now 91.

About once a month I'll run the 100 octane...that **** more addicting than crack!! :drinking:

we pay approx 7.50-8 dollars a gallon over here for 95 ron!!!

Did it make much difference to throttle response mate? Mine's going for a proper map at stealth on thursday. Can't wait. I'm already addicted to the shrek torque from 2500-4000 revs - it just rocks. My kinda delivery.

The map made no difference to throttle response, afaik he only alters the full throttle fuelling and ignition timing between 2700 and 3700 rpm anyway to take account of the shrek band. Everything else is exactly like the standard map.

The MAF swap, on the other hand, is what's responsible for turning an ok engine that runs alright into an engine that responds like a rapier when you open the throttle .. The MAF swap alone is responsible for producing an extra 10 lbft of torque between 4000 and 5500 rpm.