Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Aftermarket HID's

Looks good!¬!! Cheap as well!!!

They are supposed to have auto leveling in order to be legal!!! Dunno how strict that is when it gets to MOT time though!!!

Legally, they're supposed to be auto-levelling and you're supposed to have high-pressure washer jets on them.

Buuut I don't think they're actually that strict/informed at most MOT places...

I went in to detail on this before I had HIDs fitted.

The MOT only requires that your headlights are correctly aligned - there is no law surrounding the fitment of auto levelling or high pressure washers. My car has been through an MOT with the HIDs fitted and no comment was made

Well in that case I will be looking to fit HID's to mine at some point in the future - but I can't afford it just yet unfortuantly!

I think it's the factory fitted HIDs that are subject to the Yaw sensor levelling and washers.

Aftermarket HIDs aren't quite what you get on OE fit ones, which is why they're so cheap, but it's just a replacement bulb in the eyes of the MOT - AFAIK.

Don't forget there is no High beam HID.

the law about self levelling and hi-pressure washers is regarding NEW cars only... retro fitting HID kits don't need them and just have to be correctly aligned as Andy says... 8)

I've just bought a set from Ebay for £99 + £20 p&p which also comes with ballasts, wiring and upgrade relay loom as well as giving you a choice of bulb colour temp and also fitment style (H4, H7, H1, R2S, R4S etc, etc etc,) for my Passat...

Just waiting for 'em to turn up now, should be here in the next couple of days... 8)

Just to confirm, from that site:-

Are these HID systems road legal?

According to EU legislation HID systems factory fitted from new require a self levelling system and a lens washer to be fitted. However this is not specified for aftermarket kits. Our kits have passed all safety and emmissions tests and produce the correct light pattern. We know they will pass an MOT (original bulbs can be reinstalled in minutes if required without uninstalling the HID system). We are not aware of any legality issues in terms of the police. However this issue is a grey one with lots of confusion so until we can obtain official written proof either way, we must sell these for off road and display systems only.

So what colour temp is normal white? I hate that blue chavvy tint. So are HIDs all the same 'brightness', but just different tints of blue? So for example, is an 8000K blue tint bulb brighter than a less blue 4000K bulb, or just bluer? I'll go with the 4000Ks if the latter!

I got some from ebay (supervac the guy was called I think) and a few have the SXOC as well. No problems with legality so far.

I will be gettting some when i come back to corrado ownership!

Stan 24v, planning a group buy then?

oops, just been advised im not allowed to spend anymore money this month now!!!

Kev - good question about colour temperature.

The colour temperature is the theoretical light output you'd get from heating a perfect black body to the aforementioned temperature.

In other words, the higher the colour temperature, the more blue content it has.

In theory they'll all be the same brightness, but ones with more blue in generally tend to look brighter (to a point). The best bet would be to see all 3 as a comparison, or failing that have a google to find things like colour temperature charts so you've got a rough idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

not quite Dinkus...

The ones I've just bought have several colours/temps available and also give you the rating in Lumens... the 4600K ones (white) are the brightest in terms of Lumens, as you go up in temp they lose Lumens and also get bluer and then go purple-ish after that...

I've opted for 6000K ones which are still white, but have a very slight tint to them.

Have a look at this chart which I've cunningly nicked off the Ebay auction... :lol:

Temp__Name_________ Lumens

4300k__Xtreme White_____3100Lm

6000k__Diamond White____2900Lm

8000k__Iceberg Blue______2500Lm

10000k_Brilliant Blue______2300Lm

12000k_Violet Purple______2000Lm

Yeah it's only to a point that they appear more blue because it's not strictly true.

That chart is pretty useless other than to say I'd go with some 4600K or 6000K ones :lol:

Stan 24v, planning a group buy then?

oops, just been advised im not allowed to spend anymore money this month now!!!

I reckon we'd be better off waiting for Henny to get his, and see what theyre like. Theyre a fair bit cheaper ;)

Henny's doing the converstion 'cos I've already done the conversion on my Passat ;)

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewto ... 2712#12712

Works brilliantly and well worth it. Got my kit for £90 delivered, and took around 30 mins to install neatly.

Word of warning though - HID light patterns do not work as well in reflector headlights - you will be far better off if you have projector (a la Angel Eyes) lenses. This is because HID bulbs do not have a 'cap' on the end to stop the light just going out in any old way (normal bulbs have this so they only shine at the reflectors).

actually Andi, I'm doing the conversion 'cos I bought the wrong headlamps for my Passat and ended up getting a set of crystal clear projector lamps which are for HID bulbs only instead of as well as... my GCSE German failed me there... :roll: :oops: :lol:

Hehe!

Make sure you RHD them too, then, if they're German jobbies.

yup, already flicked the nice metal switch inside 'em ready for when the bulbs arrive next week... Will make life a doddle when I pop over to France to see my sister... no more farting about with those stick on thingies... 8)

Got new LED sidelight bulbs, Xenon main beams (55% brighter) and the HIDs going in as well as clear indicators with silver bulbs just to clean up the lighting on the front before it gets dark early and I end up driving both to and from work with my lights on... 8)