Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

heater panel - illumination?

Any chance of putting 2 bulbs in there easily in parallel or in series without shorting the electrics?

..or 50P from ebay... :-P :lol: 8)

:) you bought that from me :) I'm putting it in the post tomorrow.

I actually paid £10 for it from a guy who swore the bulb worked :evil: , it definately doesn't ! i thought I might get a bit more than the starting bid tho !!

The bulb unit (for the slider type) is 9mm diameter, so I reckon a 501 type (10mm?) wide angle LED could be fitted with a bit of work - the bulb holder would need drilling through then opening out, and a few other bits would need trimming for clearance. A 5mm LED would go in alot easier but would it be bright enough??

The existing bulb sits so close to the black cover that it actually melts it a little!

I took some pics of the bulb unit and the inside of the panel showning the bulb, but I cant post them here because I haven't got the software to resize them at the mo.

Wahay i've fixed mine today !

Bought a 5mm 12v bulb from Maplins - it has a metal body and 2 wires out of the back - 42p !

I basically cut a thin strip of duck tape, and neatly rolled it around the bulb body until it was a nice push fit in the 9mm hole in the holder. I then made sure the bulb was positioned correctly to line up with the clear plastic 'refractor' then secured it in place.

The connector prongs from the old bulb unit were pulled out and soldered to the new bulb's wires - so now it plugs nicely into the factory loom.

I was worried that it wouldnt be bright enough - But its fine, brighter than the old bulb, and lights the whole panel perfectly :mrgreen:

A little cheaper than Mr V W Stealer :lol:

Hi Andy!

I didn't realise I was getting that off you! :roll: :lol: Bargain though! :wink:

I'm gonna LED it just to see if it'll work properly that way... 8)

I'll post pics.

wanted to resurect this... fitted an LED to my controls today and it doesnt seem as bright as the old bulb

don't wanna say I told you so but...

don't be fooled by claims of high light outputs - they may be nice and bright in a very concentrated beam, but rarely produce anywhere near the total light output of a good old filament bulb. Bear in mind also that all the corrado's lenses, reflectors & optics have been designed for bulbs that emit light in all directions, and may produce less than perfect results with a narrow angle led beam...

If your optics are broken, you will only get light on the middle ring :?

Remove the panel and check the optics are OK and aligned properly.

I just use the standard bulb mate. Sorry not been online much today due to my replacement screen being done and re-tinting my rear lights!

ah hows the screen and lights going...i have been doing bits all day aswell. done the brakes and gave it a damn good clean.

so you just use the standard 5mm bulb?? wow, you got a lot of light from that from what i remember your pannel looking like!

Yeah just the standard 1.2w bulb. I made sure the optics were OK when modding the Passat one to work in my car! My original Corrado one had broken optics, so the light on the outer rings was really dim :?

Yeah screen went in OK.....had to wait around for 3 hours for the glue to set.....so he gave me his Cavalier to use so I could do some shopping....what a sh#t car! They did a good job of it, all the seals are tight agains the metal, no broken trims or anything but the damn fools put my lupo blades back on 2mm out of place! LOL! The top tint is nice too :lol:

Lights are now tinted again and back on the car looking sweet. The top halves are now a very dark orange but they still look good imo. I deliberately did them that way to avoid being pulled over again!

K