Sign in to follow this  
rolex

standalone management

how much would this cost roughly? (for a 16vt) an set up? emerald,DTA etc

thanks.

It would cost less if you are willing to use MegaSquirt. Realistically you could have it setup on a car for as little as £300! All software is open source too! Continual improvements being made as well, including Dual map capability, which is good if you want to run NOS or Water injection!

Use Wideband lambda, and it will pretty much map itself within 95% of the absolute best! quick session on the rollers to get that last 5% and your done. Freind of mine recknos you could get it mapped in a day using the wideband!

I'm about to give MegaSquirt a try on my VR, which will be going turbo in the near future.

All the bits are ordered and I'm just waiting for them to be delivered from the States.

The full kit of bits (that you assemble yourself, but you can get ready built for a bit more) works out about £250. Thats for the v3 mainboard latest processor, dual map sensor, EGT, the simulator board for bench testing, the lot. But it will need fitting and setting up after that.

The only thing I've found so far that it doesn't do yet is sequential injection (ie pulse each injector separately). It's being done but not finished yet. This will be in the form of an add-on board for the existing system, so a retrofit should be OK.

It's amazing value..... but only if it works. I've read up loads on various sites about different projects and, on the whole it all seems positive. Maybe a bit tricky to get going with the 60-2 wheel on the VR but I found a few that have done it.

When I get my kit I'll start a writeup on progress install etc etc.

Somebody recently recommended MBE for my project. That looks very good, but starts at about £700 plus fitting and setup etc. So quite a big jump.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be holding your breath for a sequential solution from MS!

Did seem to be dragging on a bit... Do you know anybody running a system on a VR?

my mates running megasquirt on his black top zetec and I am certain that is sequential injection. Cos we were pissing about with it seeing what the effects were.

Yeh, the PPC article was a good read. I must go and get a copy cos I read the article in WHSmith very quickly.

AFAIK Megasquirt does these modes for injection:

Simultaneous - All together

Alternating - used for V engines split into banks of cylinders

Staged - 2 sets of injectors into the same with the second set coming in when needed for extra fuel.

But the hardware only seems to have 2 injector outputs, so I don't think you can physically get any more individual injector drivers without extra hardware. But if you know any different please let me know.

I have some ideas on how to do it but it would need another board to sequence the crank and cam sensor signals to get the injectors syncronised so they fire at the correct time. But this would only use the pulse timing from the original 2 injector outputs

Oh... just found the settings for anti-lag. Mmmm flames!

I also read the Standalone feature in this months' PPC, well, I read the whole mag over 2 days and learned this - Stick with the stock ECU!!!

Dave Walker (Walker's workshop) is a canny lad.....and only up the road from me. Might see what he makes of mapping a VR turbo.

None of the featured ECUs could do what I want as a single box solution, although one or two came close. And Motec - WTF? They're well over twice the price of DTA (arguably the most popular aftermarket ECU there is) but with fewer features!!

MAP sensors work well providing there is enough of a plenum, so you have to be wary of short runner intakes and throttle bodies. MAF's and wideband is the way to go for tuning, especially the latter.