Sign in to follow this  
VEEDUBHEV

Strange noise after timing chain has been replaced

Hello all! Me again with question of the month :lol: After reading about others peoples disasters with their timing chain going i decided to have mine done. My rad(vr6)had done nearly 140k though so decided now was the time although there were no tell tale signs it was going. I booked it in last week and had it done at a semi local VW main dealer. Picked the rad up two days later (after clearing out the bank account :lol: ) They had renewied the chain, tensioner etc and had also reneiwed the clutch. When i was driving home i could hear a winding up noise each time i was excelerating, almost like a turbo winding up(without the ending ssss). I was abit concerned and asked my other half on return if he thought it was normal. The rad was always really quiet before having this done. I know that it takes a while for things to settle down in the engine after it has been removed etc but ive done 200 mile in it now and noise still there (no better or worse) Im probebly just worrying over nothing but just wandered how/if anyone elses rad was differant after surgeory. Any comments, first hand experiace or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like Poly V belt noise but that is at the wrong end of the engine. Take it to the garage that did the work or someone else who knows the vehicles and get an opinion.

ill ask about this at my garage tommorrow morning and let you know what they say.

Did they replace both chains? Did they use the Mk4 top tensioner? How worn was your old one when it came out?

VW main dealer? They will have used the right parts, no chance of potentially dodgy mk4 tensioners there mate.. !

Doesn't sound right. There shouldn't be any noise from the chains, and there shouldn't be any noise from the rest of the car just because they took the clutch out either.

Thanks for the advice folks. Think i will take it back to VW. Dont know if they used Mk4 top tensioners, they gave me a print out of what they had done and replaced but thats it. When i picked the Rad up i did ask to speak to the mechanic who had done the work but they fobbed me off and said that the Mechanics were too buisy and that i would be unable to enter the workshop for health and safety reasons, blah blah. So i dont even know what the condition of the old parts were? I will phone VW on monday and let you know how i get on. Thanks again :D

Well i went down to my local volkshop yesterday, got them to have a listen and took the main man for a spin. He said that it definately isnt the timing chain. The noise is from the wrong end of the engine. He said that it was either the poly v belt, alternator belt or the bearing. Either way its not bad enough yet to worry bout it too much. So needless to say im releived. My other half thought that maybe VW had removed the poly v belt and put it back on the other way round which could be causing it to squeel. Anyway thanks again. Speak to you all next month with my next problem :lol:

Crikey. Surprised that people are still going to main dealers for this sort of work.. would you mind telling us how much VW charged you for this job?

Yeah - could be the belt put back the wrong way if they re-used it... worth changing the bearing tho before it melts the tensioner (£10 instead of £70)

Crikey. Surprised that people are still going to main dealers for this sort of work.. would you mind telling us how much VW charged you for this job?

I took the Corrado to VW in Worcester as nowhere local would do the job. It cost a stonking £1198.83 :!: That did include a new clutch, although i had a new one about 18 months ago. I asked them to check if it needed doing and relplace if so, and ofcourse it must have needed doing :lol: And ofcourse i got to bring the extra noise home with me too :lol:

Yeah - could be the belt put back the wrong way if they re-used it... worth changing the bearing tho before it melts the tensioner (£10 instead of £70)

Will get that sorted next week then. Wont be taking it to VW to do the job though, unless i win the lottery tonight :lol: Thanks