Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

BBM Intercooler Tubes - G60

I got these a while back from Darren down at G-Werks and although they're now fitted the length of the tube from the charger to the standard IC comes up short. The first mechanic said they didn't fit, but then again the man was an ass (worked for VW so that was only to be expected). However the second made them fit although not without having to add a section of hose to the kit to make things fit. This I suspect is giving me a boost leak as there's just too many links in the tubing for my liking.

I'll get a pic of this up tomorrow I hope once I can get into the underground garage and take some snaps.

I'm not sure if the shortness is because I have a RSR outlet, or if things just aren't fitted right, but I have all winter to toy with things (I have a nice list) so thought I'd get started with this.

So... does anyone have a picture (or 10) of this kit fitted (pref. with an RSR outlet as well, but not required)

Here's a link to the BBM kit for those not in the know....

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/Inte ... p_Kit.html

Also does anyone know the width og the following .:

- Hose input into the standard IC

- Size K&N filter required for the ISV if I remove the boost return and don't re-route it

Thanks....

yep i do actually have the same problem with these pipes, it did improve a little when i fitted a slightly shorter front engine mount, but the pipe from the black silencer box on the charger to the intercooler is definately too short, the silicone hoses only just fit over the humped section of the metal pipe and the jubilee clip sits on top od the hump, i thought they had been designed with the RSR outlet in mind but obviously not, :? the silicone hose on the charger end is also bent down at a bit of an angle so it could probably do with another 1" on the intercooler end or a longer silicone hose to make up for it.

its not really a problem for me as i am getting an RSR style outlet made that will connect directly to the bbm pipes so i will just make sure that is slightly longer to compensate, the BBM pipes are a great quality product but its just that one pipe that needs to be extended slightly.

before i fitted the shorter mount it was stressing the black silencer box when the engine was revved and was actually leaking a little boost from the mating face with the charger.

We have fitted these kits with std style rsr outlets and if you start at the outlet and work towards the intercooler it will fit fine. Any problems please give us a call to discuss.

like i said Darren its not really a problem for me but i did try fitting from the charger end first and simply couldnt get the pipe to reach (especially with the tight space to work in under the car, plenty of bloody knuckles to prove it) the silicone pipes only just grip on both ends of that section of pipe so fitting it from one end or the other makes no difference, i would have had to re-position the intercooler and the fan would have still been in the way, it may be that as these are hand made to order there are some slight differences between kits but like i said im not really bothered.

but whilst we are on the subject of the BBM pipes, the other day i was given an almost new bailey piston type dump valve that was previously fitted to a passat 1.8t, i know the dump valves are pretty pointless on a g60 but it looks better in the engine bay than that blanking plug on the bbm pipes, anyway am i right in assuming all i should need is a vacum feed to the top of the dump valve from the throttle body via a bleed valve?

i did quickly try fitting the dump valve with no vacum feed and then gave the engine some rev's but it started to vent boost before it reached full throttle, does the g60 produce more boost than a 1.8t so it forces it open too early?

i have been told stronger springs are availiable from bailey for high boost applications, or is there a down side to fitting a dump valve to a G60?

I'll post up a pic when I get a chance, but we're not talking a couple of centimeters gap that could be sorted by starting from the other end.

It's probably more of a fitting issue than an issue with the kit though, as maybe the run is incorrect of the mechanic has mistaken 2 tubes and fitted them the wrong way about.

So any pictures just so I can compare my install with something else ???

not sure how much you can see from this, but on the black silencer box end the silicone hose is at an angle with the jubilee just on the edge of it and is stretched down to fit, there is no other way these pipes would fit, i have tried every possible combination and this is the only way they go anywhere near fitting.

Is there any difference between a US G60 and a UK G60 that would cause this problem, as i assume these where designed for a US model.

Thanks for the pics guys... my pics are a little bad as the car is in a dark underground garage but I hope you can see what's up with mine in comparison.

I've put a red line in where each of the tubes ends without the extra part that was retrofitted. As you can see it's a couple of inches.

G60SC_Stoney, does yours fit ok? you appear to have an RSR type outlet with a longer flexi pipe coming out of it. catch_twotwo, yours appears to finnish in the same place as mine, did you try swapping any of the pipes around?

the bar-tek ones are excellent... I've used these on both J-DUB and now H-YYU with no problems at all... 8)

Hi guys.

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me.Basiocally I have a leak from the pipe on the opposite side of the air intake on my g-lader.I have ordere a bbm intercooler kit and was wondering as you guys have one does it come with a blanking plate for the removal of this pipe and if not does anyone know were to get one,Cheers.