Sign in to follow this  
Bups

Tuning a VR

What sort of mods can be done to a L Reg VR Corrado to acheive abit more bhp, for a reasonable price of course??

At the moment its a Standard VR with a Magnex Stainless Exhaust, Pipercross Panel Airfilter and its Lowered a little.. :)

What he /\ says.

Nothing on the VR is cheap tuning wise. You've got your usual filters and exhausts, chips etc but they acheive very little in the grand scheme of things.

Then there's the variable intakes at £1k plus

Then there's forced induction, which is anywhere from £1500 for a s/hand supercharger kit, right up to 10s of thousands for exotic turbo builds.

You pays your money and takes your choices ;-)

TBH iv just bought the car so budget is a bit tight at the moment, but once i sell my Golf it should free up some money to spend on the Rado.. So probably do the cheaper mods to begin with..

its not about BHP with the Schrick..............its more torque further down the rev-range............makes it a lot nicer to drive too,the only downsides to them are that chargers aint that much more expensive,as its near enough essential to fit an uprated engine mount while doing the Schrick

tbh your cheapest way of getting sightly more pwer from the existing mods you have is go for a re-chip/re-map

its not about BHP with the Schrick..............its more torque further down the rev-range............makes it a lot nicer to drive too,the only downsides to them are that chargers aint that much more expensive,as its near enough essential to fit an uprated engine mount while doing the Schrick

tbh your cheapest way of getting sightly more pwer from the existing mods you have is go for a re-chip/re-map

Cheers for that vr6storm, any recommendations on any tuners for the chip/remap?? Stealth?

The Schrick adds torque for about 400 rpms, starting at or around 4000 rpms's. On it's own, it's ok, but it's designed to work better with high lift cams, such as the Schrick 268°'s. It doesnt change h/p that much. I would suggest you buy a set of Camshafts 1st. Cat 263°'s are cheap and very good. Autotech 262°'s are also cheap and good. To maximize the effect of the VGI, you can have it sent out to have a flow enhancing treatment done on the inside, and thermal barrier layer on the bottom, and a thermal emissive treatment on the top. Together, this yielded about a 30lb/ft increase. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=853207&page=1

the schrick vgi gives a huge increase in midrange torque starting from around 2500 rpm. when it gets to 3k it surges like a small turbo till it reaches 4k rpm then it switches and flows more like a normal vr my golf gained 80 lb ft at 3500 rpm unmapped! it made 235 lb ft at 3500

The Schrick adds torque for about 400 rpms, starting at or around 4000 rpms's. On it's own, it's ok, but it's designed to work better with high lift cams, such as the Schrick 268°'s. It doesnt change h/p that much. I would suggest you buy a set of Camshafts 1st. Cat 263°'s are cheap and very good. Autotech 262°'s are also cheap and good. To maximize the effect of the VGI, you can have it sent out to have a flow enhancing treatment done on the inside, and thermal barrier layer on the bottom, and a thermal emissive treatment on the top. Together, this yielded about a 30lb/ft increase. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=853207&page=1

What!?!!! Nonsense!!!

The Schrick's torque fattening is over by 4000 revs. It doesn't start there!! It starts at around 2700 or so like he said above. And it doesn't last 400 rpm's, it is effective over approximately 1500 revs.

I have heard that if you gas flow a schrick you get 7 million extra lb/ft!!!! ;)

You should install one of these. I get 922 bhp at 11 rpm and 1.2 million lbft torque at 1 rpm by replacing the MAF sensor with this beauty. I can't believe no-one has thought of it before!

You should install one of these. I get 922 bhp at 11 rpm and 1.2 million lbft torque at 1 rpm by replacing the MAF sensor with this beauty. I can't believe no-one has thought of it before!

:)

Wow that looks like a quality bit of kit dr_mat

Might see 10-15bhp and 10Lb/ft torque with a decent remap (stealth). If you dont plan on doing much more to the engine then I would just go with a big bore throttle body and a remap .. this with your exhaust and filter should work well.

10 duplicate posts deleted from Dr Mat and 3 of Eatthis' removed! Silly forum!

It's true about the Schrick having a 400rpm torque window. That is to say the peak of the schrick's peak, if you like, is a narrow window and is when pinking can occur, usually at 3500rpm..... the tuning of the schrick in this narrow band is causing 6psi above atmospheric to be shoved in the cylinders, it's quite a nifty bit of kit.....shame it's so short lived! The shrek's effect does start to work from 2500ish as said already, but what few Shcrick owners realise is that the VGI actually robs you of 10lb/ft torque at 1500rpm over the stock mannie :lol:

I hear what you're saying Kev, about the peak torque being narrow. But the increase in torque is noticeable over a much bigger range.

But saying its effective range is 400 rpm starting at 4000 revs is just not true.

Might see 10-15bhp and 10Lb/ft torque with a decent remap (stealth). If you dont plan on doing much more to the engine then I would just go with a big bore throttle body and a remap .. this with your exhaust and filter should work well.

Cheers mate.. Do you know who or where does these big bore throttle body's??

sry about the dam duplicate posts

stop being a tart and get it charged WAYYYY more bang per buck ;)

:lol: If had the ££££'s id Turbo it!!! :lol:

It's true about the Schrick having a 400rpm torque window. .... The shrek's effect does start to work from 2500ish as said already, but what few Shcrick owners realise is that the VGI actually robs you of 10lb/ft torque at 1500rpm over the stock mannie :lol:

All true. But despite these relatively modest statistics it does make a big difference to the way the car drives. That yawning chasm of flat spot between the low-rev pickup and the 3700 rpm surge is replaced by a surfeit of torque.. :)

I like mine, anyway. :)