Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

New Car Time - My hand has been forced Alfa here I come!!!!!

Which car?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which car?

Well I have pretty much decided to opt out of the company car system and take the allowance. It's a fairly healthy allowance but I don't want to blow every penny of it on a car. But I've pretty much narrowed it down to one of two. But that seems as far as I can take it!!!!!!!

So the choices are:

Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 1.9TiD in Titan Silver with Beige half leather interior and Voice controlled sat nav and phone.

But with the Hirsh Performance Aero Kit and Tuning so is 175bhp and 320Nm of Torque and has the same bodykit and wheels as the 9-3 Aero. So will look exactly as pictured

Or

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9JTDm (exaclty the same engine as the Saab but without the Hirsch Performance upgrade so only 150bhp)

But with 18" Hole Wheel upgrade as in pic. Metallic Black with RED LEATHER interior and Voice controlled Sat Nav and phone!!!

Oh and mods if you want to add a poll would be good!

Tough one this to be honest but i think the Alfa is a better looking motor.

I reckon the Saab will have a better reputation for build quality and reliablity.

Going with the majority on this. The Alfa has the edge on looks, but thats about it. The Saab is the better all round package.

im with this lot, id put up with alfas slight lack in power coz of its great looks, and black with red leather YES PLEASE!

Very hard choice, they are both good cars, and it really depends what you are looking for, if it was your own car, and you were concerned about durability, and maintenance costs, id go with the saab. But since its a company car, the alfa looks quite appealing, especially in black with red leather. IMO, the wheels are nasty though.

Good luck with your decision.

Th Alfa, does look rather nice, but going on the experience my dad had with his saab, I'd go for that anyday. He had a 9000 CSE from new for 3 years, did 112k in it in that time and the only thing that went wrong was one of the heated seat stopped working, which is bloody good going. He changes his car every 3 years, as he does intergalactic mileage, and he's had; from current car backwards;

Audi A6 3.0V6 TDI Avant

BMW 530 Sports

Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0 V6

Saab 9000 CSE Turbo

Renault Safrane 3.0 V6

Citroen XM 3.0 V6

Renault 25 GTX

....etc

The most reliable of the above being the Saab (can't really judge the Audi yet as he's only had it about 9 months). The Pug was a bit crap, and so was the BMW

So I rest my case...... get a Saab

/2p

Reliability wise there really isn't going to be alot of difference as they both have exactly the same engine that was developed by GM and Fiat. It's also the same engine as in the Vectra. However I have had a Saab 9-3 Vector before with this engine (although without the Hirsch upgrade!) and it is a brilliant engine. And the Saab was a very nice car!

But that Alfa is STUNNING!!!!! But it is more expensive by about £40 a month so not really alot in it!

I'm still sooooo undecided!

Reliability wise there really isn't going to be alot of difference as they both have exactly the same engine that was developed by GM and Fiat. It's also the same engine as in the Vectra. However I have had a Saab 9-3 Vector before with this engine (although without the Hirsch upgrade!) and it is a brilliant engine. And the Saab was a very nice car!

But that Alfa is STUNNING!!!!! But it is more expensive by about £40 a month so not really alot in it!

I'm still sooooo undecided!

the saab IS a vectra with a different body all the running gear is the same

the alfa looks better shame it will be at the dealer being repaired monthy

but they do say every petrol head must own/drive an alfa at some point

Defo the Saab mate, we have several of them at work, the same as the option you are considering the 1.9 TiD and the 2.3 turbo's. They are NEVER in the dealer for parts or problems and they do a helluva lot of miles etc. Heaps of legroom, headroom and effortless comfortable cruiser, important if you are doing a lot of miles. Build quality is also excellent.

My mate has a new 159 with the 1.9 16v engine he got in April, and has already been back to dealer four times, once for new clutch under warranty, twice for electrical problems (dash lights all out, and windows jammed down) and lasstly once for immobilser fault (cut-out whilst driving).

Saab may not have the best looks, compared to the alfa, but it won't let you down. Plus Alfa is more expensive, so I would opt for the Saab if I had the choice.

Wot Sam!, your deserting VW - what's wrong with a nice MK5 Golf 2.0 tdi with remap and a few luxuries?

I am deserting VW - I need a Saloon really the Golf is far too small! I looked at the Passat and that was the most expensive to put on contract hire.

A 1.9 TDI Sport Passat with Satnav and CLOTH interior worked out about £530!!!!! :shock:

Which is also the reason I abandoned Audi also as I was quite interested in the A4 S-Line!

Must admit I do like the 2 you've chosen, I think it would be the Saab for me though as they are just so luxurious and have class, and I don't think I'd have the confidence to think the Alfa would be reliable enough. Nice choice to have to make though.

I'd check Volkswagen Contract Hire rates - recently reviewed and about the most competitive in the industry at the moment, I'd happily put you in touch with someone who would look after you properly

Alfa gets my vote. But the last guy I know who had an Alfa had to have two new engines in 3 years. So be prepared for a few trips to the dealer.

I'd check Volkswagen Contract Hire rates - recently reviewed and about the most competitive in the industry at the moment, I'd happily put you in touch with someone who would look after you properly

Really appreciate that - thanks Andy!

I'd be interested if you could do the same with Audi, but to be honest the Passat, as nice as it is just doesn't measure up to the Saab which after taking another look at the 2 is taking the favourite position!

at the end of the day if you buy an alfa and keep it for 3 years it will be under warranty so if stuff does go wrong it won't cost you a packet!!! and it does look much better than the saab.... saab are like merceds now not quite what they used to be,,,,, poorer build quality etc.....

i know it's not quite as 'cool' but the new skoda octavia vrs looks pretty nice,,, they have slighty rounded it a bit so it's not so harsh to look at and pretty good value for money!

Alfa looks the part, but if you can get a Hirsch'd Saab then it's the better long distance motor. Plus the 9-3 handles quite well.

Not sure if you can choose this car, but what about the Mazda-6 143PS diesel?

Image wise not great, but it's a very good drive.

My wife has a 55 plate Mazda-6 2ltr diesel Sport (143PS) company car. Not so efficent on the diesel compared to Honda or BMW diesels, but it handles Oh so well for a barge and the engine is up there with Honda and BMW. Plus it's not an Audi or BMW - which are the new Mondeo. I drive it the majority of the time, and it eats the twisty back roads better than other drivers expect :-) Just as well the company pays for the tyres!

Passat looks nice but it's heavy, and you'd want the 170PS diesel at least.