Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Setting up a sub....

I've just fitted a 10" Rainbow Amboss sub and Audioscape box and was wanting some help with good settings to use a start point with my amp.

The rest of the system is an Alpine 9815RB head, with Genesis Profile 4 amp, and Diamond M3 components. I've currently wired the sub in series, and am using 2 channels from the sub, bridged. It just doens't sound as good as I was expecting, so I must be doing something wrong. Any advice from the experts gratefully received.

I've just fitted a 10" Rainbow Amboss sub and Audioscape box and was wanting some help with good settings to use a start point with my amp.

The rest of the system is an Alpine 9845 head, with Genesis Profile 4 amp, and Diamond M3 components. I've currently wired the sub in series, and am using 2 channels from the sub, bridged. It just doens't sound as good as I was expecting, so I must be doing something wrong. Any advice from the experts gratefully received.

Are you running the whole system off the amp????

TBH i'm running a Celestion 10" Sub bridged across 2 channels.. 2 6x9s at rear for slight fill and running some cheap Sony's at stanard size at the front running off the head unit... And I'm very pleased with the sound..

Ok... don't get me wrong the fronts at high volume can get abit plashy but the sub sounds very well....

What have you got the Sub set at on the amp????

Currently running the components off the front 2 channels of the amp, and have two bridged channels for the sub. I was previously running 2 x Focal 5WS subs off the amp, and have kept the setting pretty much constant for the new sub. The amp is set for a sub (lowpass filter switched on, 100Hz filter module in, the level is low - down around 0.3).

Well if It was perfect before and isn't now.... then It may just be that the sub or enclosure isn't all that...

TBH I was going to buy this originally of the guy but I wasn't 100% about the sub and enclosure.... The sub is working in a very small amout of space!!!!

Your never gonna achieve what the 2 subs were porducing....

Well if It was perfect before and isn't now.... then It may just be that the sub or enclosure isn't all that...

TBH I was going to buy this originally of the guy but I wasn't 100% about the sub and enclosure.... The sub is working in a very small amout of space!!!!

Your never gonna achieve what the 2 subs were porducing....

The subs I had were 5 inches each, in a small sealed enclosure. They used to sound pretty good, but they couldn't drop really low, due to their size. The new sub is in a boot build, and the sealed box is the right size for the sub (at least I hope it is, it's what Audioscape recommend for their box).

I spent quite a while playing with knobs after I put my sub in and found the following:

You want the LPF on the sub to be high enough to get decent bass out of it, but low enough so you only get the thud thud thud bass out of it. If the LPF is set too high, you'll get boom boom boom and you'll be able to tell that the bass is coming from the boot - set it lower and you won't be able to tell.

Also, make sure you crank the sub up high enough so that you're not thrashing the hell out of the components just to get enough bass. If you work the components too hard, they'll distort and get harsh.

It's also useful if your head unit has a second set of pre-outs to use just for the sub. That way you can control the amount of thump you get independantly of the volume so you can match it for the right road noise and type of music. That obviously depends on what connections and wiring you've got available tho.

Hope that helps :D

is the sub ok? you may need a more powerful amp?

Specs here from CarAudioDirect:

Rainbow Amboss 10

The new SPL gateway drug of Rainbow combines sound pressure and power handling

Peak power handling: 550 Watts

Dual voice coil: 2 x 2 Ohms

Cone excursion X-max: +/- 17mm-

Aluminum die-cast basket black with extensive machined finish

Extensive and clever ventilation of the magnet system

Special designed monster surround for SPL

Spider ventilation via basket

High permeable double magnet

PA-proofed lead wires

As it is a duel voice coil can your amp cope with it?

Cheers for the advice folks. Just realised I messed around with the sensitivity settings when I was using my tiny little subs (DOH!!). Think that has to be my first port of call (when I can actually get some time to work on the car in daylight).

Something that Slats (thanks Slats) said has got me thinking. I've got this sub wired in series, so running 4 ohms (with it being dual 2 ohm voice coils). I'm using this bridged on my Genesis sub, so I am actually only putting a fraction of the power through this that it can cope with.

Does anyone else use dual voice coil 2 ohm subs with a bridged multi channel amp, and if so are you getting any volume out of it??? Answers on a postcard please (or the thread will do).

wire sub to amp set bass and gain on max on amp and then reduce them all till it stops distorting at a medium vol level.

I have a PG 900.1D amp for my old sub (duel voice coils). At 1200RMS it is overkill for my current sub but I just have it turned down a bit!!

If you register on http://www.talkaudio.co.uk they have a good for sale section and you may be able to get a bigger amp :)

maybe you like a punchy sound on your bass, your new sub just ant giving it you can make it better with a higher powered amp and lower that LPF to around 80 try that

maybe you like a punchy sound on your bass, your new sub just ant giving it you can make it better with a higher powered amp and lower that LPF to around 80 try that

Cheers Deluk, since I wrote this I've bought a Precision Power 500W sub amp, and I'm most impressed with the results. Not much more volume strangely but it's much punchier and drops a bit lower in frequency as well. Beter option than using the Profile 4 to do the job.

When u get a min!

Unplug all the rca leads from the amps!

Then plug the sub rca leads in, then just set the bass up on its own!

Repete this with 6x9's and componants!

I mean unplug everything but the 6x9's then once there set up unplug them then set up the componants on your head unit!

Most head uniths with pre-out's now have 1 specially for subs and there are usually loads of different setting on the head unit for frequency's!

But if u do one at a time when there all plugged in it should sound sweet with maybe a slight balance adjustment!!!