Sign in to follow this  
DomVR6

Sacrilige

I have been driving Corrados for nearly 8 years now and my current VR6 has done me proud for more than 6 years however it is not getting any younger and I am resigned to replacing it. The big question is with what?

I love the fact that Corrados are relatively rare and that fellow owners invariably acknowledge me when out on the road. I love the engine, the ride & handling and the look of the Corrado - the sad fact is that there is nothing more modern to match it unless of course the Forum knows better.

So far I have considered either an Audi TT, a Golf or the BMW M Coupe and of the 3 I think the Beemer is probably the best drivers car however I squirm at the thought of being a BMW owner as to most people that means the 3 series.

Any suggestions?

assuming your budget is around 15k from those cars??

M coupe's are very nice, like them a lot.

You can get some Monaro's for around 15-17k, they would defo tempt me if I had the cash.

I love the fact that Corrados are relatively rare and that fellow owners invariably acknowledge me when out on the road. I love the engine, the ride & handling and the look of the Corrado

If you still have these feelings about the car id say you should either:

a) Get yourself a daily runner and keep it for weekends and special occasions.

b) Spend some money andtime modernising it, 24v engine, interior change, etc etc.

The M Coupe is a fantastic car

My brother in law got one out for the day before buying deciding he wanted a TVR (not fair!!) and it was awesome. SO well made and they rock!!

I love the fact that Corrados are relatively rare and that fellow owners invariably acknowledge me when out on the road. I love the engine, the ride & handling and the look of the Corrado

b) Spend some money andtime modernising it, 24v engine, interior change, etc etc.

i'd 2nd that, sounds like you really dont wanna get rid so if you can afford it get something as a daily hack.

i'm in alsmost exactly the same boat mate , i've had 15k - 18k put aside for nearly a year and i still cant find what i want :-(

on the list was - s3, TT, boxster s, s2000, m3, vx220, mkv golf gti ,scooby, evo etc

i've driven most of them and the quickest and most exciting was the vx220 turbo but i just dont want know if i could live with it day to day

i borrowed a 55 plate m3 convertible smg for the day a couple of weeks ago , which was £42k and very nice , quick but the power deliver is so smooth its decieiving and it doesnt feel as quick as it really is

i still enjoy driving the c and its a pia to replace

I'm in the same boat too, fancy something newer and a bit faster. Have also been interested in the BMW M Coupe and after spending some time on the M Coupe my interest hasnt been swayed, they are at the top end of my budget though and would be pushed to afford one. A Impreza P1 has also interested me but the engine life on those doesnt seem to great and it wont be cheap to fix.a Cio V6 has also got me interested, liked them when they first came out but i dont know if i could live with it for a long period of time? Maybe an MKIV R32?

Yeah, I agree with that.

Looks like there's a few people in this thread that need to go and see PSI tuning or the like with their cheque books at hand! :)

Colley, yep good call on the MKIV R32 and i considered a clio v6 (not too sure on the resale of a clio ,limited numbers but a very limited market to sell to), quite a lot of power loss through the 4wd drive cars and you dont hear much on the tuning front for the r32 , i just find the look of bm's a bit boring

was coming back into suggest a clio v6 - I love the look of them, they should price quite well but not everyone will be in the market, so could be a slowun to resell.

Hamdling (:lol:) is meant to be interesting in the wet, so may not be ideal for a inclement climate

Hamdling () is meant to be interesting in the wet, so may not be ideal for a inclement climate

Lippy, thats what i've heard , oh and a set of oem front pads is £279 !

jeez, 280 notes for pads :shock:

I would need to move house before I get an ins grp 20 car, too many tea leaves in Manchester!

come back the rado all is forgiven!

P.S - evo.co.uk have all their long term tests and reviews archived on the site, you need to register but worth it if your looking at specific cars. There is an M coupe long term test aswell :cool:

Colley, yep good call on the MKIV R32 and i considered a clio v6 (not too sure on the resale of a clio ,limited numbers but a very limited market to sell to), quite a lot of power loss through the 4wd drive cars and you dont hear much on the tuning front for the r32 , i just find the look of bm's a bit boring

surely the r32 can br re-mapped and if needed supercharged...

350z's are really cool and the 99 'T' p11's are coming down close to £20,000 now!!!

clicky 911

silver 1998 one bottom of the page

Im planning on selling the vr6 within the next year or two and going for a BMW 850CSi. I haven't got 15k to spend though!!

I was facing this question last year and settled on the S3, it's quick, handles well and looks pretty good too. I kept the VR6 though as I couldn't face selling it for £2-3K when it cost me £13K.

I also considered the R32, and I have to admit it a few BMWs, it doesn't matter what people's opinions are about Beemers, the M cars are a class act!

I don't care what anyone says about Clios, they are French and have the build quality that goes along with that, end of story.

surely the r32 can br re-mapped and if needed supercharged...

350z's are really cool and the 99 'T' p11's are coming down close to £20,000 now!!!

clicky 911

silver 1998 one bottom of the page

Why not get a HGP Twin Turbo Conversion......650bhp :)

For something a bit different,(much like the Corrado)you're on the right track with the M coupe.

I'm generally ambivelant regarding BMW's,but the M is class.

The 350z is nice too,but like the Golfs they're too numerous.

Mate had the same problem recently, finding a replacement for the Schrick-modified Corrado VR6 he had owned for 8 years. He test-drove, and discounted, Mk5 Golf GTI, Impreza WRX, S2000, EVO 8. Only the EVO really appealed, but he wasn't sure about long-term running costs. The others he felt either lacked the steering feedback of the Corrado or were too gutless off-cam/boost.

He ended up with a 2004 BMW 330Ci MSport. He's had it a few months and reckons it's a worthy-enough successor, but still reckons it lacks the performance and handling edge of his old VR6...

Unfortunately I'm not in the position to spend that sort of cash on another car but for me it would have to be the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA, looks the mutts nuts & drives brilliantly. Took 1 on a test drive recently (just for fun) & it blew me away

Was in the same position six months ago, decided the only direct replacement was a 350Z.

Problem was i couldn't afford one so settled for a 330 BMW, which i have found a bit safe and not very involving.

It's ideal as a daily driver, but i only use the cars at weekends for fun. Looking to trade it in at the moment for an s2000 as the nissan is still out of reach, also just brought another corrado VR6.

To be honest have wondered what will replace the corrado and mk2 gti and was thinking audi a3. Maybe I am getting to old!

Though wouldnt mind a go in an evo