Sign in to follow this  
flusted

G60 no traction

whenever i go more than half throttle my front wheels spin. It happens in 1st and 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

Gets a bit dangerous as if i overtake it spins and pulls to the right.

Front tyres are ok,trackings ok,could it be the fact im using a 16v box?

Want to change the box soon but if this is the prob il change it asap

What tyres are you using out of interest?

The 16V box is a great box to be using IIRC - I'd look more to be going down the road of a Peloquin LSD

surely depends on the weather and road surface and the gear you are in. I can spin my valver up if its wet no probs..

the 16v box is pants, redlines in 4th at 110mph and doesnt cruise well on motorway at all.

Spins in dry and obviously even worse in wet

never dynod it but should be 220ish bhp? its a 1.8 16v box so think that the valver has another 1k left in the rev range before redline and it hit 124mph in 4th on a rolling road when 1.8 16v. I obviously loose 14mph from the approx 1k lower rev limit

never dynod it but should be 220ish bhp? its a 1.8 16v box so think that the valver has another 1k left in the rev range before redline and it hit 124mph in 4th on a rolling road when 1.8 16v. I obviously loose 14mph from the approx 1k lower rev limit

1.8 16v box has the highest ratio box of the Corrados, more than the 2.0 16v too, mainly down to the final drive ratio. If I can get problematic wheel spin in 2nd from a tuned valver I'd imagine a lower revving torquier engine would be grim.

Mate my standard G60 (cept for the zorst and pulley) wheelspins in the wet all the time, and in the dry its ok but occasionally you will get a tyre break away on hard turning and accelleration.

But was undriveable when I had the standard alloys! Im running 17 x 205s made Soo much difference much more sturdy positive and corners like batmans car (not in the wet!) lol.

What size tyres are you running?

Mine does the same (15x7 Wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1's)

with full throttle you can feel as the power comes in it'll spin the wheels in 1st, 2nd, very occasionally 3rd (But I its not running quite the same power as yours!)

Basically I reckon there's 3 options.

1) Bring the power back down to standard...nope!

2) Be a little gentler with the right boot

3) Go for a LSD Diff (Peloquin/Quafie etc)

I've got an LSD on the list for mine, but then its a very very long list! :)

:)

In this weather my Leon 2.0l Tdi does not get traction in the 1st 3 gears and thats with the traction control on. Basically its the torque. You have lots of power to put through those front wheels.

^^ exactly. i can spin in 1st and 2nd in my 1.9 diesel estate on a greasy roundabout. bad time of year thats all

G60 box won't improve things that dramatically mate... Get yourself an LSD in there... ;)

If I'm unsubtle with mine (when it's running!) I can still get slight wheel spin through into 3th gear if it's wet... If I'm a little more careful (and it does only take a little more care) then I don't get any spin and it just goes like a rocket!

My 'ssat TDI 115 estate had lots of yellow flashing light on the dashboard moments (traction control!) until I slung the 8.5x17s with 235/45s on and now it only flashes when I'm being silly or go over a large hump (it's a little oversensitve to humps!) 8)

G60 gearbox is rubbish in the first 2 gears. In fact 2nd gear is crap and you would be better off running VR6 1st and 2nd gears. The rest of the box is OK in my opinion.

always wondered about this - does fitting 1st and 2nd gears to a g60 box reduce the use of 3rd and above?

i have read that a mk3 2L 16v gti (i think...) box has great ratios for a g60 - strength i'm not sure on. someone here will correct but sure its that box.

Yeah 16v box is Ok, back to first and second and using VR cogs. With them being slightly longer, you get right into the power band as you shift into 3rd. I had a piper cam in my G60 which also increased the problem. Not being able to hit 60 in 2nd was a silly design fault by VW seeing the rest of the box is so relativily tall.

If you're gonna be swapping cogs around, you may as well stick the vr 5th in there as well as it has a nice high ratio for motorway crusing. And it's on the outside of the box anyway!!

I darent get involved in swoppin cogs, was just guna wack in the g60 box for time being.

Do i NEED a vr6 clutch? got a brand new luk g60 1 but scared of it slippin?

im runnin 205/40/17s guna go for g60 box in new year as this is ridiculous

Get the ATB coded G60 box mate!

It´s awesome! :)

I have a CBA and i hate it!