Sign in to follow this  
Loud VR6

Door drop

I have noticed that my drivers door has droped ever so slightly and this mean i have to slam it rather than close it gentely ... its a 1993 vr has any one else had this problem and has any one managed to fix it ..

Easy fix, although you need two people: loosen the top door bolt by the frame a few turns. Cut an N-shaped shim from some thin sheet steel, only a few mill mind you. Lift eh door slightly to allow some clearance and drop the shim in. Tighten. And your door should now be OK. Make sure you oil the door pins. Best way here is to use some penetrating oil first. Once this has gone in, use a general purpose oil which will then be pulled in more easily. HTH.

How much were they? Do you fit them using a socket and press them in?

£3.53 + vat each. Don't know how to fit them though :roll:

i might buy the new pins from VAG and whils i am at it i might replace the check strap between the door and car as mine clicks ... has any one fitted one of these yet ?????

Picked my pins up from VAG this week, they had to order them. I'll try to get them fitted over the Xmas holidays.

All you need to adjust the door pins is a big spanner - just loosen them and they move around.

Put it in the right place, tighten it up and Robert is your mother's brother.

To change them, just unscrew them until they come out - the nut that they screw into is loose, but retained so won't disappear.

dinkus, i think its the door hinge pins being referred to not the door lock pins :wink:

Interesting thread. Fla is bang on the money with his post ;-)

My driver's door has sagged too.....too much use and too much speaker and dynamat weight, LOL!!

Oiling is critical, but getting to the pins through the tight gaps of the hinges isn't easy, so white grease in a spray can is probably best.

dinkus, i think its the door hinge pins being referred to not the door lock pins :wink:

Er *cough* yeah, I read all of this thread before posting my reply - honest :oops:

No you didn't you lightweight, gorilla looking, poncey, gay old bastard, cheesey, eggy, smelly old bastard f'ckler bastard f'cker with pink hair!

:lol:

Is it really that simple just to undo the bolts and adjust it and tighten back up ? I've recently been contacted by 2 CCGB members who's mechanics have both been baffled as to how to do this.

Anyone know the part numbers for the pins and bushes (if it has bushes that is)

Thanks

Charley.