Sign in to follow this  
dubbprince

airbox drilling...

OH MY GOD!!!!! this is sweetest mod anyone can do to a corrado!!

Many thanks go to JOE M!!!

That guy is a god...i just did as he suggested:

Cut this section out of my airbox-

download.php?id=2309

The car sounds like a V8 engined Corvette!!!

It has a louder induction roar than a vr6 with the same mod or as an induction kit.

A MUST FOR ANY STD AIRBOX'S!!

i am dying to drive my car...took it for a spin round my area and boy did i get looks!!!

another thing i did was take apart both front headlamps and cleaned them like crazy! made sure the rubber seals were still ok...and put them back on the car.

They look brand spanking new!!

Next is blue interior lighting... :twisted:

i did the same about three weeks ago and your right possibly one of the best mods (for the price) they sound great it's just finding an excuse to take it out for a spin :p

mate it took me 1hr or so to do it right and cleanly cut the corner...but my right foot has become a bit heavier since stepping into the car! :lol:

just 3 weeks exactly to go till i drive it! :shock:

Nice one fella - did exactly the same to my 16v last weekend :D

Drilled about 22 nr 12mm holes down outside edge, removed the standard inlet pipe, cleaned my K&N, removed the plastic shield behind my light and then stuck a high temp resistant pipe as a cold air feed - total cost £15.75 :wink:

Result - bit pokier, but yeh the sound is good - plant your foot at lowish revs in 3rd gear and it pulses big time - nice!!!

Changed both front lights last year too (forced to by a bridge) :cry: Lights are tonnes better, apparently a really thin layer of the silver reflective stuff peels and falls to the bottom of light with age. Lights are tonnes better now - would recommend it.

OH MY GOD!!!!! this is sweetest mod anyone can do to a corrado!!

Many thanks go to JOE M!!!

That guy is a god...i just did as he suggested:

The car sounds like a V8 engined Corvette!!!

It has a louder induction roar than a vr6 with the same mod or as an induction kit.

:lol: , glad your happy with it.

I miss that noise. :cry:

the headlights are easily taken apart...

theres 3 screws on top...

then unhook wiring..

then two metal clips on top push towards you and the black plastic surround comes off.

Then you'll notice 9 clips unhook these and the glass can be pulled off the unit...then clean it and give the silver section a wipe too!

top mod! :D

Nice one Sanj, I'll have to have a listen to yours when we meetup :D

I took out the funnel pipe on my airbox, and drilled a couple of holes in the corner nearer to wing, sounds nice when you boot it, not to loud, see what it sounds like when the exhaust gets done to-day.. :D

I put in a cone fliter on my Storm, i have to agree it sounds fantastic especially when accelarating through the clyde tunnel :twisted: , but due to the high temperature that the engine runs at I don't suppose it will be upping the output by very much. I have got a K&N panel for my air box and would modify it to compare the difference.

Only problem is that i can't open the image on the thread :cry:, any chance of uploading it again or sending it by e-mail

my 16v never sounded half as good and loud as my vr6 does now :D

Agree with Dazzyvr6- the drilled airbox/K & N on my 16v sounded great :D , but was NOTHING like as good as the induction kit on the VR :twisted:

Ok, ill repost the pic with a bit of an explanation.

Basically, theres no need to drill the airbox if you want an induction roar, you can get a better effect by just cutting away a corner of the box.

What I recommend doing is first of all, remove the snorkel from the airbox then take the car a drive to see if you like it. If you do and want it louder then cut away the corner of the box at the front wingside by following the red line in the attached pic, the box in the pic was already drilled but it was the only one I could find, but like I said, no need to drill.

I have done this mod to my vr6 and my previous 16v, and yes, the 16v was louder and rawer sounding and it was loud as soon as the foot was put down wheras the vr only starts getting loud above 3500rpm.

ah right! i did something simular to the mk4 astra I had before my C, does make a difference to the sound, plus i found it rev'd a bit more freely too. I didnt realise you could do the same thing to a C, I'll have to have a go!

I've had this mod now for the last 3 months, and I'm still not bored with the noise 8) The character of the car really changes past about half throttle, so you would never know it's there if you are driving sedately (like that's likely :wink: ).

Cheers

Mark

I havent got any ducting there yet, had tried removing the carbon canister to fit a cold feed in there but there was a bit too much of a fuel vapour smell for my liking.

I will try and get another feed in at some point but im doubtful that they do anything anyway except at very low speeds.

its bloody awesome! BUT i've been told i should of waited till i got the exhaust mods done first...as the induction will get louder apparently!

oh well i love it right now.

theres a slight problem with water going into the box and settling in the bottom...is that why theres a pipe coming out of the back at the bottom?

This mod works fine with no extra air feed...the way it normally works is air is pushed between wing and front drivers headlamp and into the front pipe of the airbox...it passes through a funnel.

if you remove the funnel then it can disperse faster into the box...it sounds like the car can breath much more now! :lol:

not sure how this would affect fuel economy? :?

I did this mod bout a month or so ago, heard the best way to do it is to just remove the snorkel and fit a cold air feed to the box from the front grill that way u dont get any turbulence inside the box, aparently just cutting holes in it will cause that and will not give u any gains just sound, ive drilled my airbox 2 because all i wanted was sound anyway, just some info incase u dont wanna cut your box to bits and still want the sound, fitting a cold air feed in my opinon is a must, it rams cold air stright into the air box.