Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Do I need new tyres?

Hello,

Have been having a bit of trouble with mucho in gear wheel spin since the roads have been much wetter. Hard acceleration in 2nd will always bring wheelspin at 4k and it even squirms around in third a bit. I had thought this was a sign of how much power the beast had until I spoke to a mate with a 200 bhp V6 Alfa who said its never happened to him. The tyres are Lee Conquest sports. I know they aren't exactly expensive ones but they have good tread and I was going to leave them on until the alloys get refurbished after winter but I will take them off ASAP if its going to make the difference between going into a wall and not!! Anyone else have this problem or do I just need to get some decent tyres :( :(

Cheers

Hello There

Your not the only one with this problem mate ,ive put my speedlines back on over the winter time,and ive got Dunlops all round,going up jilesgate bank !!! :shock: 1st,2nd,3rd,4th spin :? horrible

With my 17" on its way-way better

Car is getting paint job next week and in the garage it goes for the winter time before i wrap it again :lol:

Was that with or without the nitrous though :D :D . Must be quite something to get wheelspin in fourth :shock: . Oh well- looks like I won't be seeing your Corrado around for a while then!

Cheers

Ice White Socks

When you're out on the road, your Tyres are the only thing between life & death.

Get some decent ones ?? My answer would be yes !!

Having said that, my G60 (17" Goodyear Eagle F1's) will wheelspin in 1st & 2nd fairly easily. The deciding factor will be how much grip you want in the corners.

if good year eagles are wheelspinning in 1st and 2nd then a good way to stay alive may be to slow down a little when the road conditions get worse.

spending a fortune may not make a lot of difference if the last post is anything to go by!!!

I agree - the wheels spin even more when the roads are wet.

As I suggested in my earlier post - quality tyres "earn their keep" in the corners. I don't think which make of tyre you have makes much difference to wheelspin from a standing start but they make a BIG difference to grip when cornering.

stevemac, is absolutely right,when i first got my vr6 it had different tyres on each corner,think one was a nan king :shock: and driving around corners became quite scary in the wet,i then changed them all to toyos and it became much better,btw i still spin out in 3rd quite often :shock:

check your tyre pressures with an independant gauge. buy one from halfords etc. and check.

mine were 42 psi but my tyre pressure gauge on my pump was 28 psi

205/40WR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres

I run 40psi on the front and 36psi on the back, although I accept slightly lower pressure may give more grip in bad conditions. I can't complain at all, even at those pressures the grip is outstanding. When & if the snow ever comes to Leeds, I may drop the pressures by around 5psi

Was that with or without the nitrous though :D :D . Must be quite something to get wheelspin in fourth :shock: . Oh well- looks like I won't be seeing your Corrado around for a while then!

Cheers

I would never dream of using N.O.S in the wet :twisted: putting down 300bhp on dry roads id hard as it is :shock:

Just to add to the advice already given, my VR6 came to me with a mixed bag of tyres, including a pair of Kwik-Fit specials. Damned AWFUL tyres. Get rid of them at the first opportunity - it makes a huge difference to the safety and handling of the car. You still won't, however, manage to get 180lb ft of torque down on the road in 1st or 2nd (particularly round even a slight corner) without some spin in the wet - it's just not gonna happen. In fact, even with excellent tyres it's not difficult to get slip in 3rd in the wet, so don't take that as indication of a problem.

Why do you think even 4x4 cars (e.g. audi tt) have traction control and LSDs etc etc...?

I've always gone for good quality tyres.. its the thing thats in contact with the road, and its whats going to determine if you stay on the road if you need to make a sharp maneuvre or hit an unexpected amount of water on a corner or something.

Get something good for a bit of peace of mind! :)

Autocar did a group tyre test a few weeks back - Pirelli P-Zero Rossos and Goodyear Eagle F1s came out as the best all-rounders FWIW, although they didn't test every tyre brand out there. Toyos were disqualified after the test set performed rather better than the off the shelf equivalent...

205/40WR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres

I run 40psi on the front and 36psi on the back, although I accept slightly lower pressure may give more grip in bad conditions. I can't complain at all, even at those pressures the grip is outstanding. When & if the snow ever comes to Leeds, I may drop the pressures by around 5psi

should i put this psi into my 1.816v on 17''??? i did a post a few days ago and some guy told me to put in 28/30!!! but you guys are putting in 36/40??? :shock:

I was told with the weight of the VR lump to run at approx. 36psi on the front with around 30-32psi in the rears. Seems fine to me. I've not had uneven tyre wear from it. Not sure about the four pots, they don't weigh as much in the front and therefore wouldn't as much pressure.

For what it's worth. 8)

Tyre Pressures - from official VW owners handbook :-

All measurements in BAR

.....................Front..........................Rear............(full load in brackets)

16v.............2.6 (2.8)....................2.3 (2.5)

G60............2.6 (2.8)....................2.3 (2.5)

VR6............2.5 (2.7)....................2.2 (2.4)

So far as I can see the sole reason for the different VR6 pressures compared to the rest of the range is due to the larger tyres fitted, as standard equipment, to this model. "Larger" meaning higher internal volume (the space where the air fits) and not meaning larger tyre diameter.

Any Corrados running oversize wheels will all have the same ideal tyre pressure, regardless of engine size.

In reply to your mate with the Alfa, I found after driving a '156 V6' a few times that the traction control was superior to that of the Corrado which in my opinion has pathetic traction control and I have basically had to master throttle control to get the best from the car (especially in the wet).

Although this is good practice anyway, albeit cars are graduately being made to control everything for you thus (I believe) taking the skill and excitement away from driving.

Anyway sorry to go on, with reference to tyres I have had good experiences with the Goodyear Eagle Ventura tyre for wet conditions and a close second the Bridgestone Potenza SO2, but take them off in the summer or you'll have slicks in around 3 months! Soft? You bet.

Mark

Im very impressed with my toyos in this bad weather, havent really noticed much wheelspin at all and still feel confident taking corners pretty quick. :p

Cheer for all the replys. Looks like I am going to be on the hunt for some quality tyres before the weather gets really bad.

In reply to your mate with the Alfa, I found after driving a '156 V6' a few times that the traction control was superior to that of the Corrado which in my opinion has pathetic traction control

Storm VR6 had hit the nail on the head about the Alfa comment though :) The GTV's have full traction control, whilst the VR6 stops working at 15 mph :?. I should have realised that myself :oops:

Cheers