Sign in to follow this  
VR6 South

Heated Seat Wiring Question

Having eventually made a heated seat loom from two which were in bits, I have three wires to find homes for:

One thick black + (I think)

One thick brown - (I think)

One thin blue and grey - not a clue :?

Also I have run 12V through the loom to check the relays before ripping the interior apart. I can hear the relays working OK but only when the positive and negative are reversed :?

Any ideas..............

I have made further progress :D I just need to know where the black and blue/grey wires plug into. I think they may go into the rear of the fuse panel, although I'm not sure exactly where :?

Please help me to get my seats working before the summer comes.........

I take it you've bolted the relays to the rear panel opposie the e/w relays, there is also an earth point there where a brown wire goes...

Then you have 2 (5 or 6 ? pin) plugs for the seats, a 7 pin for the swicth and then the 2 that go into the fuse box (where I do not know tho)

Where do the e/w relays live?

I've put the relays in the offside front footwell, behind the cover by the bonnet release. The earth has been bolted to the chasis. The switch and seats are all wired in I just have the black and blue/grey wires to go. Got a feeling they may plug into the main fuse/relay panel although I'm not 100%. I remember someone posting a pic on here ages ago but I can't find it.

Hello - if you have the proper loom and all the right lengths etc the relays should live behing the pass side door card where there are already mounting holes and an earth point, you just need 2 self tappers and a nut for the earth...

Then the loom goes down that side and the seat part braches off and can be tied to the existing loom with those re-usable clips down there, the rest goes up and behind the shelf to the switch and over to the fusebox... i'm working on finding those locations now - there is a pic on a thread on here but it's very blurry...

Mine is a std loom. Well two which I have spliced together. I'll take my door card off and put the relays where they should go. The two remaining wires have plugs on them. They just need a home! I'll stick 12v down the black one and see what happens.

I've now got the loom fiited as it should have come from the factory. The two plugs which are remaining go into the fuse box but I don't know where :?

Was it in the passenger side rear trim then? Easy job?
It was fairly easy although it took three hours as I had to take loads of trim out, including the seats and centre console. There was very little room to get the relays in the rear 1/4 as the space had been fitted with what I think was an old tracker unit.

The relays seem to be working as they make the same noise as yours! I just hope the heated seat elements are OK after all this work.

I just hope the heated seat elements are OK after all this work.

I hope so to, fingers crossed. All the fiddling about will be worth it...

Hi Steve,

Just looked at that document and can't read it properly lol!. I know that one wire goes to D12 I think which is the accessory plug. I'll dig out the manual again and have a look.

Yeh, good idea and maybe then we can post it on the WIKI or something as it crops up quite frequently.

I know that you can get the small female sockets with wires attached which fit into the plugs which then plug into the fusebox(if that makes sense). You just need to solder the wires on these to the wires from the heating loom.

Right, just had a look and seem to have got it...

Plugged the black wire with green plug in next to the other green plugs and the grey one I plugged in with the bank of blue plugs - I think these are illumination but could not tell in daylight - both locations are ignition switched lives...

With the switches on I am now getting 12v ish to pin 5 on both plugs...

Heard no relay clicks but front seats are not in circuit yet and I think they will need to be as there is a thermostat near the elements I think...

Checking the heated elements you should get about 1ohm resistance on each, thats why the power wire is so small!

Supercharged is the second pic the rear of the fuse box. Is so you have solved my problems. Just need to get the two small plugs from the stealers and it should be "job done"

Yeah that pic is taken with the fusebox dropped forward but you should be able to do it with it in place with a torch I reckon...

I take it your loom was cut then if you don't have the plugs??