Sign in to follow this  
craziscot

Track Rods/Ends

Hi all, I've given the search ago but not really had much luck...

Jist of what happened is a muppet in a Royal Mail van tried to squeeze by me as I was turning out to reverse into a parking space, never noticed at the time he had clipped my Passenger Side front wheel (Royal Mail red gave that away later). He's left a small kerb type mark on the wheel, so not too harsh a blow. Even worse I never got his details because I thought he had missed me!!! :mad:

Since then my steering is pulling quite a bit to the left, I get vibration at the steering wheel from 30-40mph and beyond, it pulls when cruising and accelerating. Doesn't have the same steering accuracy on the curves.

Had it checked for alignment today at ATS, its in alignment still, the guy doing work had a nose about under the car and has said my passenger track rod is bent.

Question is what do I need to replace and is anything else likely to be bent/buckled as well?

Just buy a new track rod and track rod end,remove the steering rack boot and it will expose a large (32mm I think) hex ,turn the steering to full lock to the right as this will make it easier to get a lager spanner or stilson wrench on to undo it,then its just a matter of unscrewing and refitting the new one.

You will need to have your tracking redone and I would get the wheel checked for straightness and if it balanced.

If you are in Swindon then head over to Imperial tyres and get a four wheel alignment done, they are good and are half the price of VAG.

As James said, if you get the wheel in question balanced it should also be obvious if it is bent/buckled whilst the balancing is being done.

Just buy a new track rod and track rod end

Thats what I was hoping, such a mare as the handling was sweet before this!

Thanks for the referal to Imperial as well Yandards

VR6 track rods come with ends already installed, you can't buy them separately. And they're expensive, too. About £60 + VAT iirc.

Yes, but after market ones are made out of tin foil wrapped around an old hockey stick.

Definitely buy the real ones, but all I'm saying is only do so if you're sure you need to replace them .. !

(You can, of course, but the track rod ends on their own, but if you want new rods from VW, you have to buy the whole unit (don't ask me why, ask VW head office).)